• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Polymer 80 frames, etc.

So here’s a question: if you theoretically had an 80% lower… and now It is considered a “firearm” does it need to be locked in a safe in MA?

Depends. Does it meet the definition of a firearm in MA? Can it fire a shot? A stripped or unfinished frame doesn’t, but one built especially with a complete slide does.

Massprudence says throw it in the safe, but they’re not firearms in MA as an 80% frame.

OK, so it's a firearm. I'm in NH and I can sell a firearm to another NH citizen without an an FFL, so I can still sell or trade a blank but now it's a "gun" and not an unfinished piece of plastic. Great work from the ATF there...

What is someone in a commie state who was in possession of it as a piece of plastic, that won't be legal to own it now as a firearm, supposed to do with it?
"Turn it in" or destroy it?
Basically that's equivalent to a taking in some ways like they did with bumpstocks.
Bad trend...

What is someone in a commie state who was in possession of it as a piece of plastic, that won't be legal to own it now as a firearm, supposed to do with it?
Basically that's equivalent to a taking in some ways like they did with bumpstocks.
Bad trend...

Whether the lower is considered a firearm now or later when completed shouldn't have any effect on legality of possessing it.

This is about cramming background checks into scenarios that currently don't require one,

It's completely bogus, but it doesn't bar anyone legally able to purchase a whole firearm from purchasing a. 80% lower.

OK, so it's a firearm. I'm in NH and I can sell a firearm to another NH citizen without an an FFL, so I can still sell or trade a blank but now it's a "gun" and not an unfinished piece of plastic. Great work from the ATF there...
Difference is, as I understand it now you can’t obtain another unserialized poly80 or similar from retail outlet.

Missing the point. No more online sales. Any “new” ones will require serials and FFL/4473.

Bad trend...

I mean, what were they going to do with it? Talking piece on their coffee table? If they weren’t legal to own a firearm then they weren’t legally allowed to complete it before.

Missing the point. No more online sales. Any “new” ones will require serials and FFL/4473.

I mean you can literally buy as many as you want from %80 arms and have it shipped to you. As has been posted here.

Would I take that risk probably no. But you can do it.

I mean you can literally buy as many as you want from %80 arms and have it shipped to you. As has been posted here.

Would I take that risk probably no. But you can do it.

Exactly what do you perceive as being a risk in this case? That the .gov would now become aware of new purchases by you?

I get that is overreach and unconstitutional, but THIS isn't the step that is dangerous. We're still at "First they came for the ghost guns, and I said nothing..." step.

Exactly what do you perceive as being a risk in this case? That the .gov would now become aware of new purchases by you?

I get that is overreach and unconstitutional, but THIS isn't the step that is dangerous. We're still at "First they came for the ghost guns, and I said nothing..." step.

Yep, knock and talk and “hey hand over the frame or else” I realize it’s a slim chance of that happening. But there have been similar cases of things like that happening.

I know it seems like a tin-foil theory.

Last edited:
I mean, what were they going to do with it? Talking piece on their coffee table? If they weren’t legal to own a firearm then they weren’t legally allowed to complete it before.
Not my point, more about changing the rules in the middle of a game and the ramifications if it’s retroactive. One day they say someone’s ok, then change the rules and the next day a felon…

Whether the lower is considered a firearm now or later when completed shouldn't have any effect on legality of possessing it.

This is about cramming background checks into scenarios that currently don't require one,

It's completely bogus, but it doesn't bar anyone legally able to purchase a whole firearm from purchasing a. 80% lower.
What about someone that doesn't have a license but wanted to have an 80% lower?

One day, perfectly legal, shipped to that person's house. The next, the person is a criminal.

What they were going to do with it doesn't matter. You are ignoring the bigger issue.

One day, it is just a piece of plastic and the person is a law abiding citizen.

The next day, it is a gun and the person is breaking the law.

. We're still at "First they came for the ghost guns, and I said nothing..." step.
Correction:

First they came for the bump stocks, and I did not care -because I did not own a bump stock.
Then they came for the P80's...

Yep, knock and talk and “hey hand over the frame or else” I realize it’s a slim chance of that happening. But there have been similar cases of things like that happening.

I know it seems like a ton-foil theory.
Not actually tin foil. That is the end game. This step is just one of many they'll take before they're done.

What about someone that doesn't have a license but wanted to have an 80% lower?

One day, perfectly legal, shipped to that person's house. The next, the person is a criminal.
Good point.

I know it seems like a tin-foil theory.

Not so tin foil. Different but similar with forced reset triggers. Fine to buy, then not fine, then knock to confiscate.

Not my point, more about changing the rules in the middle of a game and the ramifications if it’s retroactive. One day they say someone’s ok, then change the rules and the next day a felon…

What they were going to do with it doesn't matter. You are ignoring the bigger issue.

One day, it is just a piece of plastic and the person is a law abiding citizen.

The next day, it is a gun and the person is breaking the law.

Agreed with both of you, good point.

Seems most if not all P80 tutorial videos on youtube are gone…Just a lot of videos of dudes showing off their builds with 30rnd. mags now😂😂😂

That's how they roll, they're in charge and we're NOT!

I used a ton of vids for two builds over the last two weeks, there's a lot still up but they're mostly Glock maintenance builds rather than 80% build tips. If you want the OG Marine Gun Builder vids, someone mirrored the instructional ones on Odyssee.

I used a ton of vids for two builds over the last two weeks, there's a lot still up but they're mostly Glock maintenance builds rather than 80% build tips. If you want the OG Marine Gun Builder vids, someone mirrored the instructional ones on Odyssee.
I was racking my brain earlier trying to think of that guy's channel name. I remember watching those videos a while ago, I wish I'd downloaded them, they were really good.

Back
Top Bottom