• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Polymer 80 compact build

Back last month, I finished a Polymer 80 compact frame, using a Brownell's slide, Alpha Wolf barrel, Shadow Systems slide parts, Glock frame pieces, Glock sights, and two Glock 10-rd magazines.

The frame itself was finished using sandpaper, files, and a hand drill. I spent a fair amount of time polishing the interface surfaces on the trigger components with Q-Tips and Mag polish. Ended up destroying two plastic rear sights before filing the life out of the third one to get it to go fully into the dovetail. At a guess, I spent between 8 to 10 hours all-in doing the build.

Took a bit of nudging and bumping the first time I put it together. The slide hung up at full draw the first time I cycled it, and it took a couple of pops on the back with the heel of my hand to get it to go forward. There was a distinct tendency for it to not go fully forward into battery, so I spent a bit of time filing / polishing the rail surfaces and cleaning out the recoil spring channel a bit more, followed by 30 minutes or so watching TV while racking the slide manually.

Not sure if it is the grip angle, the different trigger guard, the non-standard slide cuts, or a combination of the three, but I couldn't find a G19 holster that fit correctly. After a bit of looking, I did find a BladeTech holster that fits the slide/frame, probably because it's explicit sold as designed for the P80/Brownell's combination. The sand finish on the grip was irritating as hell IWB at 4:00 under a shirt, but a touch of 180 grit sandpaper on the off-hand side took care of that. Amazing how putting it together from a pile of parts removes most of the inhibitions associated with taking a tool to it.

End result?

First 50 rounds had 4 failures to go into battery. Took a touch of my thumb to get it to click in the last 1/8". The next 75 rounds had two failures to feed, back to back on a full magazine, with the magazine not fully locked into place at least one of those times.

And the 400 rounds since have just been a blast. It eats anything I feed it (round nose, flat nose, JHP, 115/124/147 grain) and just runs like a champ. With the polishing work, the trigger feel is very nice, not at all gritty, with acceptable take-up and a smooth release. It's so much fun that I'm thinking about building the full-size version.

I haven't totaled up the build cost and likely won't (which lets me have the following completely honest conversation with the better half: "How much did you spend on that?" "I dunno, I just kept buying pieces when they were on sale.").

Only complaint? After 4 weeks of looking, I still haven't found a 15 round pre-ban magazine at a price I'm willing to pay.

Last edited:
Figured I'd share a pic of my P80. Haven't carried it much but I did find a Squared Away Customs holster that didn't have a horrendous lead time. I ordered an OWB, that will go on a RTI hanger, from QVO Tactical but I won't have that for several more weeks. Anyway...here's the pic. I bought a black frame as well...not sure what I'm going to do with that one just yet.

upload_2018-6-14_20-16-42.png

Nice update on the build. I've got two P80 frames completed--a compact and a full size, just waiting for slides to go on them. I've been trying to tighten the belt some on gun expenses after the .458 SOCOM build, so it may be awhile before I can get them completed and running.

I did both of my frames with a Dremel, sandpaper, and a hand drill. I made sure to polish the rails before I assembled the gun, but from your report it sounds like I should probably do a little extra work on the recoil spring channel.

I built one with most parts on sale and a reasonably priced upper and SS barrel from Heavy armor division on sale. Typically it will still cost 50-100 more than a new gen 3 at non retard pricing.
Unless your going Gucci glock or Zev or something.

Also most take a good amount of oil/break in to work well. Then they are
Pretty reliable. Mine runs 100 percent now. It took some break in for sure.
Very fun to shoot and I like it more than a stock glock.

Kind of defeats the purpose doesn’t it ?
Not in the least.

I effectively own a new Gen 3 Glock with a rifled barrel in MA and a (to me) better grip, and had a couple of fun Saturdays building it. That was the purpose.

Are they compatible with any Gen 1 or 2 parts or just Gen 3?

Excluding changes to the grip itself, I thought the Gen 1/2 changes to Gen 3 were some internals to prevent slam fires, so I'm not sure why you would want to try.

But that's a guess. If I had to swear to it, I'd have to say "BTFOOM".

Kind of defeats the purpose doesn’t it ?
With a bit of creativity, one could imagine ways to build, test, and own one of these, without e-FA10'ing anything, in compliance with the law.

If you're reasonably near a free state, find a good range there and make sure you never have an device capable of firing a shot when you're in MA. Leave MA with disassembled parts, return with disassembled parts.

Counterargument would be that it could be considered constructive possession.

I would never do it, Maura! [bow]

Excluding changes to the grip itself, I thought the Gen 1/2 changes to Gen 3 were some internals to prevent slam fires, so I'm not sure why you would want to try.

But that's a guess. If I had to swear to it, I'd have to say "BTFOOM".

I would stick with Gen 3 parts. It's not like they're hard to find.

Thanks, guys. I have plenty of Gen 1/2 completed upper assemblies but all my newer stuff is in 45.

Are they compatible with any Gen 1 or 2 parts or just Gen 3?
Thanks in advance.

I put a Glock Gen 2 complete slide on the P80 frame and had absolutely no issues with it. Before I even bought the P80 frame I emailed them and asked if it would work. They sent back a boiler-plate response saying they had only tested it with Gen 3 slides (seemed to me like a CYA type of statement). I put probably 150 rounds through with the Gen 2 slide on it without any issues. Maybe a glock armorer would have some more in depth explanation about possible risks but I saw no issues.

Generally the major gen 2 and gen 3 parts can be swapped. I’m no expert and I know there are 2 pin/3 pin variants, so I don’t know how that stuff works together exactly.

I like mine. I need to get it to the range and really run it through the paces at some point. I see the same issues you are having when I hand-cycle it. Hangs just a bit. I've checked everything. I figure it needs 500 rounds to smooth out. Or an evening of racking the slide.

I put night sights on it. Aruminuminum. Took a CONSIDERABLE amount of filing to get them to fit. I had the slices on my fingers of my off-hand to prove it. (As you file the bottom, the dovetails become razor sharp.)

I like the fit better than a G19. But I might do the light-sand trick.

I can't imagine carrying this thing. It seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen. "He even BUILT HIS OWN GUN!"

I did it for a goof. 100% from scratch. I bought a blank upper from Brownells and built it myself. The only challenge, really, was putting the sleeve in the firing pin hole. It went in a lot easier than I thought it would at first. You could chew up a bunch of those if you weren't careful.

I got my trigger parts from Lone Wolf. Not only cheapest but I put some better components in there. Better trigger than my P320 even. Shorter and smoother.

Back
Top Bottom