Polymer 1911 Frame or Other?

OK, so I know that polymer frame 1911s exist. I know that 80% finished metal 1911 frames exist. I know that polymer AR15 80% lowers exist. Why not an 80% finished polymer 1911? Or maybe an 80% finished polymer frame that accepts glock parts?

I can't bring myself to put my hands on poly framed 1911's or AR's. to me, if it wasn't designed as a poly weapon, it should NEVER BE A POLY WEAPON! If you want a plastic gun buy a Glock, XD or M&P. maybe I'm old school but that's just how I feel.

1911 frame is probably too intricate/complex to make molds for. Or have some tricky areas that would not allow it to be molded in one step.

then again glock frames are made of polymer and they are simple and easy to make, why would someone want to mess with 1911 polymer frame. time/money invested to make such frame might not bring sufficient return to justify the trouble.

anyhow 1911 wasn't the best gun for it's time WTR for capacity for manufacturing (too complex) and now when there are frames that can be molded out of poly for 10 dollars in material and labor, many(makers/businesses) just don't see a need to waste 10 times more time manufacturing 1911.

I know I will take a lot of heat for saying what i'm about to say, but IMHO the reason why thees are still being made because it' a great novelty gun (because of the history associated with it, because it's truly american from top to bottom, because it's one of the most iconic guns in the world, etc etc). It's very well liked and has a enormous following and that is why it's still being made, despite rational behind it existence long gone.

Don't take my words wrong way. I'm not a 1911 hater, not even close. I think it's a great gun. What i'm trying to say is that back 80-90 years ago it was somewhat in more unique position then, a lot more thought after than it is now. Simply because now there are other guns that perform just as good or better and can be made faster cheaper and easier for a fraction of the time and cost.

Last edited:
I have a Wilson Combat KZ-45. It's a double stack polymer 1911 and I have nothing but good things to say about it. The grip is only slightly larger than a single stack steel frame and it's very comfortable. I have smaller hands and don't have a problem with it at all.

There are some good polymer 1911's out there.

1911 frame is probably too intricate/complex to make molds for. Or have some tricky areas that would not allow it to be molded in one step.

then again glock frames are made of polymer and they are simple and easy to make, why would someone want to mess with 1911 polymer frame. time/money invested to make such frame might not bring sufficient return to justify the trouble.

anyhow 1911 wasn't the best gun for it's time WTR for capacity for manufacturing (too complex) and now when there are frames that can be molded out of poly for 10 dollars in material and labor, many(makers/businesses) just don't see a need to waste 10 times more time manufacturing 1911.

I know I will take a lot of heat for saying what i'm about to say, but IMHO the reason why thees are still being made because it' a great novelty gun (because of the history associated with it, because it's truly american from top to bottom, because it's one of the most iconic guns in the world, etc etc). It's very well liked and has a enormous following and that is why it's still being made, despite rational behind it existence long gone.

Don't take my words wrong way. I'm not a 1911 hater, not even close. I think it's a great gun. What i'm trying to say is that back 80-90 years ago it was somewhat in more unique position then, a lot more thought after than it is now. Simply because now there are other guns that perform just as good or better and can be made faster cheaper and easier for a fraction of the time and cost.

I disagree.

While I like my SR9c and liked the XD when I had it (and like the XDm's) only one other gun has felt as good in the hand as the feel of a modern 1911, and that was the Walther P99. The P99 had other issues though and as a result, I would take a 1911 over the Walther.

P99 grip, XD style trigger and a thumb safety = perfection IMHO. Offer a model without a thumb safety and you corner the market IMHO.

Whether you like polymer guns or not, the proof is out there: they work. I like the idea of being able to machine my own lower at home and do it with minimal tools. There are multiple manufacturers already making polymer 1911s. A metal 1911 isn't going to happen in my basement. A polymer one? Maybe a glock-like one? I'm pretty sure I can do that.

I love how all the "if its not a classic 1911 in .45 the way Browning designed it, it must be crap" people come out of the woodwork every time there's a 1911 thread.

Browning didn't design the pistol originally in .45

Browning didn't design the pistol with a grip safety originally

And unless your pistol is a "true" usgi 1911 than its not a "real" 1911 anyways IMHO

Me? I like my 1911's with external extractors, adjustable sights, full length guide rods and even in 9mm. And I will own a polymer frame 2011 at some point in the not to distant future...

John Browning does not care about any of those things, he's dead..
I'm also pretty sure someone with that level of firearms genius would have been more than happy to use polymers had they been a viable option when he was design firearms

You can buy a 80% poly 1911 .
Ares ? Spelling sucks sells it, the parts that need to be metal are metal.

Rock river been saying there gonna put a poly 1911 out for over a year . Same idea as a glock metal bits embedded where they have to be.

I think ed brown sold a poly double stack 45 that looked like a para style frame. Same deal just the rails where metal embedded in to the rest of the grip.
I think the Wilson is 9mm only could be wrong.

The you got the 2011.
Upper rail section is searlized and can be removed from the grip area.

A single stack is kinda pointless cause of the mag limits . The poly double stacks make more sense to me.

Nothing to do with cheap. I want to make it myself, with minimal tools.

That's the problem bro, in a nutshell. People want to make something that will last forever without tools or experience.

It's getting silly, people bitch about not having a welder, then they bitch about not able to use a rivet gun. Honestly, we are not talking about complicated tools or wizard experience, but whatever you do, people will ask "can I make it faster and cheaper". Some of the polymer lowers even use different color to indicate what needs to be dremeled out. It's not the skill problem, people just want to throw cash at the problems, buy shitload of shitty rifles and not know how they work or how to fix them ... AR.

The deeper problem is the Walmart mentality of the Amerikan people: they would rather buy 10 shitty hammers for $10 than 1 hammer for $80 that would last for ages. ... or may be it's the math problem.

Last edited:
That's the problem bro, in a nutshell. People want to make something that will last forever without tools or experience.

It's getting silly, people bitch about not having a welder, then they bitch about not able to use a rivet gun. Honestly, we are not talking about complicated tools or wizard experience, but whatever you do, people will ask "can I make it faster and cheaper". Some of the polymer lowers even use different color to indicate what needs to be dremeled out. It's not the skill problem, people just want to throw cash at the problems, buy shitload of shitty rifles and not know how they work or how to fix them ... AR.

The deeper problem is the Walmart mentality of the Amerikan people: they would rather buy 10 shitty hammers for $10 than 1 hammer for $80 that would last for ages. ... or may be it's the math problem.

Right! I have a 80% polymer lower with the two tone polymer that you mentioned. It's slick. I like it. I haven't made it yet, but as soon as I get my dremel back... The appeal to building an AR to me to begin with is that I can build it in my kitchen or at my computer desk with a little creativity and a few specialty tools. It's like Legos for 2A exercising adults. And i say 1911 or Glock due to their limited availability in MA.

Oh, f__k it! Boris, if you can make a AK reciever out of a full size shovel, can you make me a 1911 out of a garden trowel or something???[laugh]

Last edited:
I disagree.

While I like my SR9c and liked the XD when I had it (and like the XDm's) only one other gun has felt as good in the hand as the feel of a modern 1911, and that was the Walther P99. The P99 had other issues though and as a result, I would take a 1911 over the Walther.

P99 grip, XD style trigger and a thumb safety = perfection IMHO. Offer a model without a thumb safety and you corner the market IMHO.

so your argument is 'it feels better than other guns'?
feel is terribly subjective thing. "what's good for a russian is death for a german" expression still holds.
when comparing guns, one should use measurable objective characteristics and aspects versus subjective personal preferences and feelings.
no one can argue that complexity and intricacy of a 1911 is it's weakest point, when competing against guns born of modern methods of manufacturing, technology and techniques.
also let's not forget that 1911 had 112 years to get tweaked and perfected while polymer guns have had third of that time.
there are still a lot of thinking out there that favors all-metal construction and not just for 1911s. they hash and bash concept of a plastic gun. let's go back exactly 50 years and remember what those people thought about aluminum made m16 and where that aluminum gun was able to take us.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom