• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Poll: Why is the 9mm such a popular caliber?

Why is the 9mm such a popular caliber?

• Total voters
I like the 9 because its easy on the wallet, accurate and packs and adequate punch with little recoil for a follow up shot. Still can't top the .45 acp IMO

I've been carrying for over 30 years with just about everything at one time or another. This debate has been going on forever. There use to be two schools of thought. Either a fast moving light bullet (.357 with 125 gr HP) or heavy slow moving bullet (.45 ACP with 230 gr. ball). Years ago most concern to carry was being mugged on the street and the expectation was draw and fire at a very close range. Now I expect I'm more likely to encounter a adversary at a mall where multiple shots at greater distances will be called for.
I carry a 9mm with two extra magazines and the best self defense ammo I can get because I'm being honest with myself. Although I own and shoot numerous .45's I know that at a moment of self defense (in the heat of the battle) that I can shoot a 9 more accurately. And at the end of the day it's all about shot placement.

Another Glock hater thread? [rollseyes]. Leave all the guns that are extremely reliable, bulletproof, and proven for me then, I'll take them all.

Sent from my carbon covered iPhone

I got to shoot a mini-glock in 10mm last year. I think thats the 29. It was surprisingly, not difficult to shoot. Not even close to punishing and my shot to shot recovery time was better than I expected.

I'd never carry one though. Its just a general large frame glock complaint, that slide is about 2" wide.

Just to weigh in again on the 9vs .45 discussion. Everything I've said before refers to carry guns. (Not CCWs because some people don't conceal. God I hate that term) It doesn't refer to something kept in the home.

In the home, you can have a big and/or heavy gun that will hold a lot of a large caliber. Weight and size be damned. As long as its big and heavy enough for you to shoot the large caliber well then you should go for the larger caliber.

Our home defense pistol is a M&P 45 with a light. Its big. But both me and my wife shoot it reasonably well. I used to keep an extended 14 round mag in it but had to leave that back in CT.

Also, the M&P functions the same as the Glock I shoot competitively and the Kahr I carry. So its a good fit.

Only you know what your limits are as far as weight, size and recoil. Thats why there is no universal "right" answer.

71F27F39-88F2-41FF-AA04-8B68F8B2B633-2890-000007BC71B77D0A.jpg

No matter what side you fall on, this is pretty funny:

45_46.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom