• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Poll: Why is the 9mm such a popular caliber?

Why is the 9mm such a popular caliber?

• Total voters
Define more "powerful"? Are you going by ME alone? If so, then 357Sig may have something to say. ;)

*Edit*

Forgot about the 10mm. I would call it the king if push came to shove.

Can't really look those up right now, but i'm fairly certian the 10mm is a turd by comparison to .45, hense the creation of the fotay.

Not really familiar with the 357sig so school me, does it have appreciably more stopping power to warrant the limited selection in both guns and availability of the ammo? I live 15 minutes from Sig in Exeter so i'm not averse to it [wink]

i'm fairly certian the 10mm is a turd by comparison to .45

It didn't gain wide acceptance because wussy FBI agents who were used to .45 powder puff loads couldn't handle it because it hurt their wimpy little wrists.

The 40 is a neutered 10mm. The 10mm is probably king of the hill for auto pistols that you could reasonably CCW.

Can't really look those up right now, but i'm fairly certian the 10mm is a turd by comparison to .45, hense the creation of the fotay.

Not really familiar with the 357sig so school me, does it have appreciably more stopping power to warrant the limited selection in both guns and availability of the ammo? I live 15 minutes from Sig in Exeter so i'm not averse to it [wink]

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

10MM: 180gr Hordany XTP - 1,350ft/sec - 728ft/lbs
45ACP (+P): 200gr Speer Gold Dot - 1,080ft/sec - 518ft/lbs (non +P is far below this)

You were saying?

Yup. I was going to post those but I'm at work. The 45 isn't what most people think it is. Sure it's a powerful round but why sacrifice capacity when you can have 9 and 10mm? 9mm will always be my favorite carry caliber. I can drive nails with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

To me the 9mm is a compromise,fair muzzle energy and high capacity magazines in a package that can be concealed easily. I remember when the various police depts moved from 357 mag revolvers to the hi cap 9 mm pistols because they believed the gang bangers have them so we need them idea. To me the 357 was the better service round although you only had 6 shots. Not to demean any of the LEOs on the board but IMHO most are not shooters and only fire their service weapons to qualify yearly. I can remember seeing article where huge amounts of rounds where fired to cease hostilities. Would a 6 shot 357 mag make a difference perhaps in the above situation,perhaps. There are those on this board that may remember growing up with little money and limited ammo supply being taught to make every shot count,now change that thought to fill the air with lead and hope you hit something and I think you'll get the gist of what I'm saying. And yes I do own several 9 mm capable of holding 15 rounds or more but what I carry has only 8 shots and a spare mag of 7 in 32 auto. Working on getting a holster to carry a sig 225 in the future.

find me something more powerful that's CCW'able, smartass.

10mm Auto.

ETA: Someone beat me to it. I used to carry a 10mm but stopped bothering once I did enough
research. Yeah, it is more powerful, definitely, but I don't really see it making a difference in a typical self
defense scenario.

I mostly carry a 9mm now. Read into wound ballistics long enough and you probably will too. It's not that
it's better, it's just that it's not any worse than most given modern ammunition.

The G29 I had though was FUN to shoot though, that's mainly why I had it. [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited:
Some reasons off the top of my head:
1. NATO handgun standard.
2. Relatively inexpensive to produce.
3. Relatively decent performance at short range.
4. Allows for larger cartridge capacity than larger handgun calibers (e.g. 40 S&W and .45 Auto).
5. Cartridge found in handguns and some machine guns.

10mm Auto.

ETA: Someone beat me to it. I used to carry a 10mm but stopped bothering once I did enough
research. Yeah, it is more powerful, definitely, but I don't really see it making a difference in a typical self
defense scenario.

I mostly carry a 9mm now. Read into wound ballistics long enough and you probably will too. It's not that
it's better, it's just that it's not any worse than most given modern ammunition.

The G29 I had though was FUN to shoot though, that's mainly why I had it. [laugh]

-Mike

I have several carry pistols, a Dan Wasson Bobtail Commander in 10mm is one of them. Compared to a 9mm, it offers a little more margin for error, but not much, so I don't feel "under gunned" if I have to carry a smaller, lighter 9mm to meet comfort/concealable requirements for carry.

I do find the 10mm more fun to shoot than the 9, so I like taking it to the range more often.

cost of the ammo plus availability is IMO the biggest reason. The 9mm IMO is more than adequate to defend yourself with and its a round cheap enough that you can shoot it often. Id rather have a pistol in 9mm with more experience behind it cause of the cheaper rounds then a larger caliber pistol with less time

You will not be disappointed with a Glock 20 and some full power 10mm rounds.

A plastic gun AND not it's not chambered in .45? Are you telling me that a GI 1911 isn't the be-all end-all of pistol design?

Here's my take: I carry what I want because I want to. I couldn't care less what you choose to carry. Other than that, I MMOFB.

Why? Ask him.

Hickok45-Youtube.jpg

Hope you found a taker..

People are baby's.. I work in IT, in an industry where people have no shame asking me to blow an extra 1k on a laptop just to save them a pound to carry home a few times a week... because for some reason a 5lb laptop will herniate disc when a 4lb laptop won't.

People are cheap.. They'll make up any BS excuse they can because they don't want to spend the money on shooting .45 regularly

People are shitty shooters.. they rely on the crutch that they have more rounds when 1-2 well placed will do. Give me 8+1 of .45 versus 20+1 of 9mm any day. I need shit ended fast, not in a long term distance shootout.

People are superficial.. more cool looking per dollar (kinda goes back to cheap) guns are available in 9mm than in .45

People are fools... they are under the impression shooting someone a time or two will absolutely drop them, and are in denial about statements similar to what I have made above.

I believe it carrying the most powerful caliber you can. Body type, shooting ability, various other physical challenge may be a hindrance and that's OK... but based on those just exclusions for no reason should that make lesser calibers more common. I carry a 28oz 1911... that right there just killed any excuse for a poly 45 other than price.

Wasn't it you that just posted the video of the doctor saying that all handgun rounds are pretty much equally worthless?

Wasn't it you that just posted the video of the doctor saying that all handgun rounds are pretty much equally worthless?

Yes. That being the case though, I don't buy the "modern bullet design" BS as justification or carrying a lesser caliber than can otherwise reasonably be carried. My wife carries a 9mm, but she also can't shoot a 40 or 45 reasonably well.

The 10mm thing is interesting, I'd never looked into it much as it seems to not be very common. Whoever suggested a glock though, ewww [wink]

Yes. That being the case though, I don't buy the "modern bullet design" BS as justification e for carrying a lesser caliber than is otherwise reasonably be carried. My wife carries a 9mm, but she also can't shoot a 40 or 45 reasonably well.

The 10mm thing is interesting, I'd never looked into it much as it seems to not be very common. Whoever suggested a glock though, ewww [wink]

Gotcha. Regarding 10mm, I believe Glock's version is the most common 10mm, which is why it was suggested. You need to look into it, regardless. It's like a .40, minus the estrogen.

Back
Top Bottom