Poll: What ammo would you buy if it were from a MA factory?

I want to be able to get MA-manufactured ammo in...

• .38 spec pistol

Votes: 119 25.4%
  • .45 cal/ACP pistol

Votes: 227 48.4%
  • .223 rifle

Votes: 272 58.0%
  • .40 SW

Votes: 145 30.9%
  • .44 Cal/Mag

Votes: 34 7.2%
  • .22 pistol/rifle (any variety)

Votes: 195 41.6%
  • 9MM

Votes: 282 60.1%
  • 10MM

Votes: 26 5.5%
  • .50 cal/AE/Mag

Votes: 20 4.3%
  • 30-06/30-30 rifle

Votes: 91 19.4%

• Total voters
Coyote, what 22 ammo do you use? I use the dirt cheap federal 550 pack from walmart, and I only get one or two failures per brick.

As others said, if you could sell 223 at a competitive price, I'd buy it.

I would start with .223/5.56 NATO and .308. Those calibers are in absurdly high demand (and likely will be for the foreseeable future) and even if you
couldn't saturate the MA market with the ammo you could simply sell it elsewhere.

-Mike

He'd recover his start-up costs just on the .223/5.56 & 7.63X39 sold here ! [laugh]

Seriously. [thinking]

...The thing is, you have to offer either a better product, a better price, or both...

THAT is EXACTLY the niche/idea we are banking upon in trying to get this thing going...BOTH.

Have no illusions about it...this will be a fairly long time in trying to start, but better to start sooner rather than later. Keep the comments coming, they are valuable.

(P.S. Yes, I had been thinking of the NATO-type rifle rounds, but did not realize how popular they were. Also, yes...I understand fully the storage requirements and restrictions for the DOT "Class A" materials. No worries on that bit. ;-) )

I voted for .223 because I reload everything I use, but because it's such a pain in the ass to reload, I would spend money on store-bought .223 if it was cheap enough.

Also, I hope you're not considering making your own brass.

Also, I hope you're not considering making your own brass.

I have been thinking about it, yes, but I do not believe that we could possibly afford the time, energy and money into developing our own foundry, hehe.

Also, please note...In thinking about these prices and first attempts at manufacturing, we would be focusing only on target loads (less expensive, hehe).

K, I have come up with a very preliminary figure for one particular calibre...

A box of .38 spec 158 Gr FMJ (bullet-point-style irrelevant at this stage). For 50 rounds, would be $17.50. (If mailed, S&H would be responsibility of buyer).

How does that work for y'all that use .38 spec?

P.S. (Since there seems to be much interest in .223, I'm working up a price for that right now. Stand by...)

Last edited:
I'm looking for some FMJ or TMJ 357 SIG loads. I doubt these will be the first off the press though [grin]

This business is definitely an all or nothing start-up. It of course can be done in stages (adding another caliber for each stage), but the structure must be there from day one. A well funded and thought-out ammunition manufacturing outfit would do well in the northeast.

Here are the nuts:

Besides the staffing, manufacturing equipment, FFL Type 6 and state permits, you will need to find a zoned facility, insurer, bonds, city waivers, etc. Ammo margins are razor thin and the sunk costs are huge. To make money or break even, volume must be significant from day 1. This means equal force put on sales vs. manufacturing. Custom stamped cases will require some serious investment and hopefully the 1st production run is sold out before the cases even arrive. Also... remember in pricing that the federal excise tax is 11% off the top of my head.

Spend some time banging around a business plan to calculate everything down to the penny. Then, double you expenses, 1/2 you projected net, and run those numbers. If the plan is really well thought out, a lack of start-up funding is easily managed. I suspect the 1st load off the line will cost you between $250K and $400K (if you purchase or build a facility). If you need any help on the start-up, planning, outside-investment, and/or legal end of things, let me know.

Thank you much, hickson. I will keep that under advisement. We're still a long way away from getting to that stage.

Yes, Mark, you did mention that. [smile]
----------------------

K, the very preliminary figure I came up with for .223 Rem...

.223 Rem, 55gr FMJ (Bullet-type irrelevant at this point...),
1,000 rounds = $420.00

Is that a fair price? (Buyer pays S&H if doing it through mail.)

[wink]
Why no 12GA? I would be a gold member on your sales...

I reload my own, but if the cost was less I would buy from a local manufacture to support the business.

Heh, it is a good question. The short answer is that manufacturing shotgun shells requires different equipment, and since center-fire brass is the most populous type of cartridge fired, we decided to start with that. No worries. If and when this becomes a reality, shotgunning will be on the radar. [wink]

I have been thinking about it, yes, but I do not believe that we could possibly afford the time, energy and money into developing our own foundry, hehe.
Little more difficult than that. They aren't poured as would be done in a foundry. they are deep drawn from sheet. This is definately a world you don't want to get into as you are talking MILLIONS of dollars to get started on one caliber.

Oh yeah you would also need to design or find someone to design the machinery as usually that is all done in house. and you would either need to do it with old technology or find a way not to impinge on any patents I am sure the major players have on there latest and greatest machinery.

[wink]

center-fire brass is the most populous type of cartridge fired, we decided to start with that. . [wink]

You sure about that? Just thinking about what I see at my club, I would bet that more 12ga goes downrange than anything else. Not to mention that virtually ALL hunting in Mass is done with shotguns.....

K, the very preliminary figure I came up with for .223 Rem...

.223 Rem, 55gr FMJ (Bullet-type irrelevant at this point...),
1,000 rounds = $420.00

Is that a fair price? (Buyer pays S&H if doing it through mail.)

I think Privi 5.56 NATO M193/55gn is about $400 or so for 1000 rounds.

Keep in mind the weird volatility of market forces; this same ammo was well under $300 a case less than a year ago....

-Mike

You sure about that?...

Yes, I am sure. Especially for volume purposes...Look into your shot-shell trash buckets, and your brass-collection buckets...Which is more full?[wink]

Not to mention all the super-cheap lead that is available from (insert name here) gun range! Woohoo! (Re-casting lead is easy-peasy compared to other metals. It is an angle we are thinking of.)

Last edited:

Keep in mind the weird volatility of market forces; this same ammo was well under $300 a case less than a year ago....

- Mike

Absolutely. The prices mentioned by me were based on material costs as of this date. In one week, material costs could go up 10%, down 10%, etc.

No worries. [smile]

Bleh, enough I-Net surfing, I need to go do some blasting at the range.

Keep the comments coming please!

And remember to be SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!! First, last and always.

Yes, I am sure. Especially for volume purposes...Look into your shot-shell trash buckets, and your brass-collection buckets...Which is more full?[wink]

If that is what you are basing your research, and investment dollars off of, then good luck! [smile]
I personally think there is a lot more to it than that,and you may be missing a very good opportunity...

Little more difficult than that. They aren't poured as would be done in a foundry. they are deep drawn from sheet. This is definately a world you don't want to get into as you are talking MILLIONS of dollars to get started on one caliber.

Oh yeah you would also need to design or find someone to design the machinery as usually that is all done in house. and you would either need to do it with old technology or find a way not to impinge on any patents I am sure the major players have on there latest and greatest machinery.

The machinery is not that complicated - Any stamping press suitable for deep-draw work (a link motion or back-geared machine) would do the trick. There are plenty of used machines available for rock-bottom prices.

The hard parts are designing and building the tooling, and getting decent raw material. Cartridge brass material is not your average off-the-shelf brass. It has to have very specific characteristics, and be very consistent throughout the coil. It is unlikely that a new manufacturer will have the ability to buy material in sufficient quantity to get what he wants.

Most of your serious shotgunners reload and take their shells with them . . . or the club ROs take them and sell them. Those are the guys/gals that shoot 100+ rds/week . . . as opposed to the hunter who sights in and buys one box/year.

You can't judge by what's left behind.

Second that.

Anything I need, if I can pick it up and save shipping, I'd do it. Of if you couldn't sell direct it should still end up costing less on the dealers' shelve.

I would recommend staying away from .22 only because it must be awfully hard to beat the prices of the bulk stuff. And the high-end bullseye market would be real hard to penetrate (though I'd buy a brick to try it if you did).

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom