• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Poll: Right To Carry On Campus

I am just going to throw this out there as a talking point no one has brought up. I, like most people here I'm sure, went to college. College for most immature kids is a time to experiment and "expand their wings". The most horrifying thought to me is a drunk frat guy or group of guys who are partying and suddenly feel put down by some punk. They all reach for their new found freedom of a sidearm and start shooting. I've seen the very, very bad things that happen when you mix testosterone, alcohol, and girls. Common sense and moral judgment does not even enter their pea brains for a split second. It's kind of hard to remember anything if you black out 4 nights a week. I will go on record saying my roommate had an AK for a period of time in our party house (not a frat) and NOTHING happened. That was probably more due to his penchant for pot instead of beer, and he and his family growing up were avid shooters. We did have fun going to the range with it though.

Bob

I was first inclined to think along these lines.

However, this is a little offshoot of the dusty anti argument when the CCW laws were being enacted in various states in the 1980s and 1990s.

"They'll be blood in the streets!"
"Shoot outs at the OK corral will be commonplace!"
"Blood will be split over trivial matters like parking lot spaces!"
"Save the children!"

Ad nauseum.

Let me ask you this: Why haven't we seen your scenario play out in college campuses in Utah?

That may hold true, MA, RI (Good Luck), CT are all 21+ for concealed carry.

There are a lot of college kids older then 21 especially at state colleges and community colleges.

I am just going to throw this out there as a talking point no one has brought up. I, like most people here I'm sure, went to college. College for most immature kids is a time to experiment and "expand their wings". The most horrifying thought to me is a drunk frat guy or group of guys who are partying and suddenly feel put down by some punk. They all reach for their new found freedom of a sidearm and start shooting. I've seen the very, very bad things that happen when you mix testosterone, alcohol, and girls. Common sense and moral judgment does not even enter their pea brains for a split second. It's kind of hard to remember anything if you black out 4 nights a week. I will go on record saying my roommate had an AK for a period of time in our party house (not a frat) and NOTHING happened. That was probably more due to his penchant for pot instead of beer, and he and his family growing up were avid shooters. We did have fun going to the range with it though.

Bob
Ah the old drunk frat guys with guns argument. You do realize that virtually all major parties are held off campus where one could already be legally carrying, right? Yet how many Ltc holders have shot up those parties?

Bob

So just because some one "may do something" we should restrict everybody's right to self defense? maybe we should silence you because you " may" swear at somebody. you are Innocent at proven guilty and last time I knew it was illegal to kill someone no matter what tool they used. this is a crap argument that the liberals whip out every time. IMO the age to legally carry should be 18.

Why haven't we seen this happen in Utah? Because Mormons don't drink and their debilitating sense of guilt actually works as a moral compass. Why can't the teachers be armed since 100% of these lunatics causing us to discuss this have shot up schools during normal school hours? Bob

Both teachers and students if they wish to be armed should be able to do so. Guess what I am from MA and I don't smoke,drink or do drugs. Your whole argument is null and void because they used the same old "shoot outs in the streets" routine back when right to carry legislation was being debated and nothing happened. Sorry but not everybody likes being defenseless!

Why haven't we seen this happen in Utah? Because Mormons don't drink and their debilitating sense of guilt actually works as a moral compass. Why can't the teachers be armed since 100% of these lunatics causing us to discuss this have shot up schools during normal school hours? Bob

Not everyone that attends a state school in Utah is Mormon. And if professors and staff are allowed to carry, why can't adults?

I recently graduated with an MBA (with distinction) and took evening classes at Boston-area school. Why can't I carry? I'm licensed, peaceable, mentally fit and have no felony record. Why can't this be extended to all members of a college community?

I am a professor at a college in Massachusetts, and I would be thrilled to be allowed to carry a concealed pistol on campus. Allowing students to do the same simply means that any student, who has already been legally deemed old enough, mature enough, sane enough, law-abiding enough, etc. (via LTC application process) to carry a concealed pistol in a crowded public mall, movie theater, subway, or restaurant, can exercise that same right in the classroom or library. I also do not believe that a student with a legal gun in a dorm full of students is any more dangerous than a student with a legal gun in off-campus housing full of students. Tragedies have shown us that there is no practical way to keep illegal firearms out of schools and out of the hands of those who would harm students and faculty. I don't see how allowing those who may lawfully carry elsewhere to carry on campus for their own protection presents any realistic or rational special problems.

Right to carry on campus

You are all assuming that Camous Police will carry also,not the case in a lot of schools in The Free Rupublic of Ma.

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!!

I think that campuses would be a lot safer if only those who were smart and mature enough could carry. Unfortunately most college age kids are neither. Most are the kind of people who would look down the barrel to see if a gun is loaded and this is coming from a college age person.

The reason these polls are always in our favor (gun owners) is because we're the only people to read them and vote.

Everyone else just reads and disregards. They could care less.

My .02

I think that campuses would be a lot safer if only those who were smart and mature enough could carry. Unfortunately most college age kids are neither. Most are the kind of people who would look down the barrel to see if a gun is loaded and this is coming from a college age person.

This is why the law would exclude most college age people (most being 17-20 years old) from carrying ANYWHERE anyway. We already allow older college students (over 21 in MA) to carry almost everywhere else, without disasterous results, so why not on campus?

I have sat in a classroom before and quickly realized that I had absolutely no path of escape if the sole door was blocked by a shooter. Thank god the campus police here are armed with those nifty compact pistols! Not that police have ever stopped a school shooter... but it could happen....

I used to work for a campus PD and I was surprised how much they actually trained for situations on campus. It was always fun to see the drills during school vacations in both residential and academic buildings...but they train hard, but unfortunately AEC is right. If you're on a 2nd floor of a building you've got windows and one door, and you're screwed if theyre standing at the door. As good as the campus cops (these guys were armed, full size M&P .40s, had appropriate gear for "Campus killer" situations), they can't get in there before the whole classroom gets blown away..... Unfortunately this moonbat school would prefer to deal with bias incidents where some drunk idiot calls someone a racial slur and then gets the piss beat out of them than really dealing with security issues on campus. [rant over]

Watch the 20/20 episode "If I had a Gun", if you are going to carry a gun, and have a good chance of surviving an encounter, like what we're discussing. Then you should have to take a CCW class, that covers real life scenarios, on how to handle any hostile situation. EX: proper use of cover, shooting moving targets, shooting while moving, how to be aware of your surroundings, how not to get tunnel vision & how to keep moving and making your self a harder target to hit... I can't stand the mind set, people have, thinking all they need, is the Basic Safety course... And half the students I have taught that too, did'nt think they needed that.... Til you put a gun in their hand....

Back
Top Bottom