1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Poll: Minimum Size Requirements for Farm Animal Containment, Question 3

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by LoginName, Oct 6, 2016.

?
  1. Yes

31 vote(s)
    22.0%
  2. No

105 vote(s)
    74.5%
  3. No Opinion

5 vote(s)
    3.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoginName

LoginName NES Member

Source with full text

2. LittleCalm

LittleCalm NES Member

You mean the PETA proposal. This passes and watch your food cost go up again so that the chicken has room to turn around.

3. Snora

Snora

Voting No. I care about animals, but not when it hits the poorest people's wallets.

4. snax

snax NES Member

Why the F is this even needed in Massachusetts?
    I'm sure we're a HUGE poultry producer.
    With the amount of idiot libs in this state rest assured there are no farm animals confined in Skinner boxes.

Here's a solution, genetically engineer an animal with NO LIMBS. That way, it won't need to stand, lay down, turn around, extend, etc.
    Even better, genetically engineer an animal with NO BONES. Makes eating easier. Imagine, ribs that eat like a deliciously pressed McRib. MMMMM GOOOOOOD

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  5. Snora

Snora

Couldn't even get through the first paragraph?

"This law would also apply to business owners who knowingly sell pork, veal, or eggs from animals held in this way, even if the source is outside of Massachusetts."

6. snax

snax NES Member

Of course not. I ain't got the time. I read the title and the first few lines and spew my kneejerk reaction to it.
    Go watch Food, Inc. If this law goes into effect, say goodbye to meat from: Purdue, Tyson, Cargill, Smithfield, Hormel, etc..
    Oh, and by the way....
    Chinese company WH Foods owns Smithfield, who I believe is the largest pork producer in the US....
    So, if TPP passes, and this law passes, I believe that the Comm of MA would have to sue Smithfield in some type of World Trade Court, operated by multinationals.
    Don't y'all love globalism.

7. kalash

kalash

Stop posting.

1 person likes this.
  8. snax

snax NES Member

It's hard not to when outsiders come in and push unnecessary ballot questions with broad language.
    especially when there's language like this in it: "... give the Attorney General the exclusive authority to enforce the law, and to issue regulations to implement it"
    Like she should be allowed broad language like that to give her any latitude to enforce this. The way she makes stuff up, she wouldn't go after the tough cases, she'd have her enforcers on family farms with tape measures to check the size of people's chicken coops. I'm sure that she'll get her "coop size" guidance from PETA as well.

9. Mass-diver

Mass-diver NES Member

Voting for it. It's like if I was out hunting and found some guy torturing a wounded deer - it's just disturbing to keep these animals in such f'd upped conditions for no reason.

3 people like this.
  10. 71montess

71montess

Don't drink anymore coolaid.

11. Bt74

Bt74 NES Member

Very intelligent response....you must be a "Statist".

- - - Updated - - -

What if you found some guy "mounting" a deer?

12. enbloc

enbloc NES Life Member NES Member

Pipe marijuana into the pens. They won't want to move ever again!

13. CosmicIrony

CosmicIrony NES Member

I will check with my local farmer who supplies the meat and eggs that we eat. I know the animals are well treated, but I also know that regulations that result from laws like this are oppressive for small businesses.

14. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

There seems to be several egg producers sprouting up in my area. There are at least 5 "fresh eggs for sale ",signs on my way to work.

My friend has chickens and they are free to come and go but you seldom see them off their little roosts in the pen?

15. Jaykeane

Jaykeane NES Member

From what I understand, there's only one farm in Massachusetts (Diemend farm in Wendell, MA)that supposedly confines it's animals in such a way that would be made illegal.
    And the farm owner states although their hens are caged, they are not confined in a manner that would become illegal, that is, they've got enough space within the cage to stretch their limbs and move around.
    On the other side of the coin, all other egg farms in the state are 'cage free', why can't this one farm follow suit?
    seems like a witch hunt to me.. and against only ONE FARM?
    The yes on 3 camp has raised a boatload of money so far.. seems like a lot to do about nothing to me.

http://www.masslive.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/09/franklin_county_egg_farm_surfa.html

16. ma_farmer

ma_farmer NES Member

It's HSUS, much worse than PETA.

there is only one farm in MA that would have problems with these rules.

As another poster mentioned it would also not permit the import of eggs raised this way; I've heard that it could double the price of eggs.

we have 6 chickens so we don't do store bought eggs ourselves.

HSUS is WAY OUT THERE, if they had there way we would all be vegans, we would not have pets, forget leather anything, and livestock farming would be eliminated.

since I am a livestock farmer I have a problem with their agenda; on the other hand my animals are all free range.

vote no

1 person likes this.
  17. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

I was at Whole Foods the other day. They had organic uncaged chicken eggs there, $5.60 a dozen.

Demoulas had the same brown eggs, from caged chickens, $1.19 a dozen, today.

Guess which way I am voting??? [banghead]

18. browncoat

browncoat

I'm voting no, because in general I'm opposed to regulation. In particular, I hate things that would put more power into the hands of the AG.

19. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

I'm voting no. While I can afford to pay more for my food, there are a lot of people who can't.

20. CK30

CK30

Especially when eggs are a low cost source of protein for low income families.

21. kevin9

kevin9

It's not about that one farm. This part is what's problematic and will drive up the food prices:
    The first problem is with the general principle of MA moonbats trying to levy rules on the rest of the country/world.

Second problem is this is just feel-good legislation with little unbiased scientific basis to support the supposed "good" it will do, particularly compared to the cost of implementation.

Which leads to the third problem, the cost and consequences of implementing this. The entire food production, distribution and sales system would have establish a system to somehow track compliance by farms with these rules. I predict many producers and distributors will just not operate or supply MA anymore, and those that do will have to raise prices; not unlike handgun manufacturers WRT the MA consumer protection racket roster.

Costs go up and supply goes down, prices go higher, demand drops, supply drops; rinse, lather, repeat. Pretty soon many people have no choice but to become vegans, and those who can supply their own meat and dairy become outcasts. Sound familiar?

22. Zappa

Zappa Road Warrior NES Member

I vote NO.
    Anything PETA is for, I'm against because whenever one of their ballot questions passes, someone gets screwed, intentionally or otherwise.

Example; when the leghold trap law passed, there were only about 50 people statewide that held trapping licenses, so it put them out of business. But the long term problems were much worse. No trapping led to more beavers, which led to more beaver dams, which resulted in lots of homes getting flooded and other related property damage.

Then when dog racing was banned, a few thousand people lost their jobs and the state lost the gaming revenue stream it once produced.
    So to make up for the lost revenue, Mass jacked up other taxes and fees which affected everybody.

23. LittleCalm

LittleCalm NES Member

So this is a perfect example of what's wrong today. No one wants to see animals suffer as a general matter. But crap like this drives up costs for extreme ideologies. Guess what's next? Need to raise minimum wage followed by greater automation and loss of full time jobs. It never stops. Yet everyone wonders why economic conditions aren't improving, particularly for the lower economic class. As a society, we totally miss the forest for the trees.

24. MetalgodZ

MetalgodZ NES Member

I'm voting no, and I DO have the money to spend a little more on food.

Guess what? I DO. Where and when I can. There's 40 lbs of pork in the freezer right now that I bought locally and paid $6/lb for. I could have paid between $2 and $4 per pound for it if I'd bought it from the store, but I paid someone I know for pork that I know was fed well, treated well, slaughtered and processed locally, and tastes damned good.

But there's no way in hell I'm going to vote to mandate that choice for someone else.

25. crazymjb

crazymjb

Undecided on this one. I'm weary of government coming in to "help," but I also have little patience for how people either ignore where their food comes from or treat animals like shit.

Ive also heard this will probably only effect like one place in the state, and is not the same as requiring your eggs come from free range organic chickens. (Which I buy anyway, even though I'm still a student at present time).

I know, Im definitely an evil statist. I like muslims too, so you guys can tack that on there. Just my thinking out loud.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

1 person likes this.
  26. Nick Fury

Nick Fury

For someone like me this is awesome news. I normally dont bother raising chickens for sale because it costs so much but if prices double then $30 roasters might be worth my time. Gave a guy a young rooster the other day and he said its the best hed ever had...

27. Snora

Snora

It's not really a fair comparison if it's between different stores; If whole foods had caged eggs they'd be crazy expensive, too. Trader Joe's sell cage free eggs for maybe $0.50 or $1 more a dozen which is on par with what most people are saying the price increase will be.

28. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

While it would be easy for me to absorb that price increase, there are a lot of poor people in MA who are already having trouble making ends meet. It would not be as easy for them to absorb the increase.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

29. Win

Win NES Member

No. Conditions and treatment of animals is well beyond the scope of the government. Let individuals and markets decide if it's important to them. There are stores that provide free-range eggs and chickens if it's important enough to people to pay the extra money.

1 person likes this.
  30. je25ff

je25ff

Just as an aside, I really need to start buying beef and pork from Blood Farm in Groton and getting a freezer in the garage for it. Save money and support a local business.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.