Poll: Majority of Americans Oppose ‘Assault Rifles’ Ban

Admin

Staff Member
Administrator
NES Member
22192a_sig-sauer-rifles-are-displayed-national-rifle-association-convention-640x448.jpg

By AWR Hawkins

A Gallup poll released October 19 shows that a majority of Americans oppose passing a ban on “assault rifles.”

According to the poll, 40 percent of Americans support such a ban but 57 percent oppose it. Gallup notes that the 40 percent “support for an assault rifles ban is below the historical average of 47%.”

The 40 percent support for a ban largely consists of Democrats, 56 percent of whom want to ban “assault rifles.” Only 25 percent of Republicans support such a ban.

Poll: Majority of Americans Oppose 'Assault Rifles' Ban

By AWR Hawkins

A Gallup poll released October 19 shows that a majority of Americans oppose passing a ban on “assault rifles.”

According to the poll, 40 percent of Americans support such a ban but 57 percent oppose it. Gallup notes that the 40 percent “support for an assault rifles ban is below the historical average of 47%.”

The 40 percent support for a ban largely consists of Democrats, 56 percent of whom want to ban “assault rifles.” Only 25 percent of Republicans support such a ban.

Poll: Majority of Americans Oppose 'Assault Rifles' Ban
Assault rifles already are effectively banned for the serfs via the NFA of 1934 in conjunction with the Hughes Amendment to FOPA (1986). Words matter. Obviously, we can expect Gallup to intentionally get it wrong, but it's exceedingly bad for 2A advocates when even those who purport to advocate for private gun ownership misuse terms in the exact fashion advocated by gun prohibitionists who do the same to help push their agenda.

Assault rifles already are effectively banned for the serfs via the NFA of 1934 in conjunction with the Hughes Amendment to FOPA (1986). Words matter. Obviously, we can expect Gallup to intentionally get it wrong, but it's exceedingly bad for 2A advocates when even those who purport to advocate for private gun ownership misuse terms in the exact fashion advocated by gun prohibitionists who do the same to help push their agenda.

Let's celebrate the small victories, man. This should kill any attempts by Dems to start a new semiauto ban - though I hope they try hard before November.

I think this result shows the majority of Americans know the term is a misnomer.

Let's celebrate the small victories, man. This should kill any attempts by Dems to start a new semiauto ban - though I hope they try hard before November.

I think this result shows the majority of Americans know the term is a misnomer.

I doubt the average voter could define/identify the misnomer because it's technical. Last week one of my coworkers asked, "So when is our next presidential election? Was Trump president since this January?" And that's a voter.

But most with no technical knowledge can reason out that the real problem is a shift in society, not the availability of a particular weapon.

Assault rifles already are effectively banned for the serfs via the NFA of 1934 in conjunction with the Hughes Amendment to FOPA (1986). Words matter.

True, however, I find it especially amusing that all actual assault rifles that can be owned by non-FFLs in the US can be owned in MA.

Why? New machine guns banned after May of '86. Fed and MA date for the AWB is '94. Therefore, with a green card and a tax stamp, all actual selective-fire detachable-magazine intermediate-cartridge rifles may be owned in MA. Literally all civilian legal assault rifles are Mass compliant; eat shit Maura.

Of course the issue would be getting a green card, waiting on a tax stamp, and the cost-of-a-new-truck pricetag. Which ain't gonna happen for most people.

"semi-automatic guns, known as assault rifles" or "semi-automatic guns known as assault rifles"

I feel like there should be a "some" in the former statement.

It has been a long time since grammar school, but here goes...

This is poorly constructed question.

Without the comma between "guns" and "known" they would be asking about the collection of semi-automatic rifles known as assault weapons as opposed to the semi-automatic rifles not known as assault weapons.

With the comma between "guns" and "known" they are referring all semi-automatic rifles and tacking on an unnecessary additional label for the group.

True, however, I find it especially amusing that all actual assault rifles that can be owned by non-FFLs in the US can be owned in MA.

Why? New machine guns banned after May of '86. Fed and MA date for the AWB is '94. Therefore, with a green card and a tax stamp, all actual selective-fire detachable-magazine intermediate-cartridge rifles may be owned in MA. Literally all civilian legal assault rifles are Mass compliant; eat shit Maura.

Of course the issue would be getting a green card, waiting on a tax stamp, and the cost-of-a-new-truck pricetag. Which ain't gonna happen for most people.

The MA "Assault Weapons" ban is specific to semi-automatic firearms. Assuming you have your green card (MG license), you can have a machine gun with all the "evil scary" features on it that you want, as long as it complies with federal regulations. Even if you have a green card, you can't possess an "assault weapon" in MA, though you can possess a machine gun.

The rules of MA are different for people with money, nothing new here.

The MA "Assault Weapons" ban is specific to semi-automatic firearms. Assuming you have your green card (MG license), you can have a machine gun with all the "evil scary" features on it that you want, as long as it complies with federal regulations. Even if you have a green card, you can't possess an "assault weapon" in MA, though you can possess a machine gun.

Even after all these years, I can’t for the life of me tell you what an assault weapon is. Is it like obscenity? I can’t define it but I know it when I see it?

Odd, Pew Research found a week earlier that 67% supported banning assault weapons. Gun Policy Remains Divisive, But Several Proposals Still Draw Bipartisan Support | Pew Research Center Both claim to be statistically valid polls so let’s just say most do or don’t favor a ban - it’s hard to be more precise.

What remains clear year after year, is that while Dems/Libs will make more noise about gun control (marching for cameras, posting, Tweeting, Liking) they won’t lay $$$ down to support their views.

It’s literally true - money talks, suckers walk...

See that spike in 2017? That is likely the emotional effect of LV and Parkland.

With these numbers at a low, when can we expect the next mass shooting event?

It doesn’t reset to zero after each event. Eventually the shootings no longer affect public opinion. And I good portion of Republican voters are now not entirely sure these events aren’t false flag events.

Take Vegas, I think there’s a decent chance that the FBI was involved in that. Perhaps one of their patented manufactured crimes went south. Or the shooter was the patsy for several pro shooters.

See that spike in 2017? That is likely the emotional effect of LV and Parkland.

With these numbers at a low, when can we expect the next mass shooting event?
Caravan, pipe bombs....school shooting by Wednesday is next on tap.

Good the majority has spoken and since the MSM likes to keep saying we're a democracy, and in a democracy the majority rules so that means we should repeal the NFA since assault rifles can go full auto!

Back
Top Bottom