• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Poll: how to dispose of 10-yr-old bulk ammo?

What to do with several boxes compromised .40?

• Your only safe and responsible option is a dud bucket. Maura approves.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Shoot it slow and deliberate, watching for squib/hangfire.

Votes: 51 43.2%
  • Rent full auto, toss the dice.

Votes: 29 24.6%
  • Slip it in a Goodwill donation box and watch the news.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • NES karma to a Mass reloader.

Votes: 26 22.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You found ammo not 10 year old loaves of bread in that safe.

I have hunting ammo older than that.
Shoot a box and see how it goes. Look for corrosion especially on the primers. Tarnished shells don’t really mean much, but primers would be toast.

RC

Just send it.
tenor.gif

I recently got out of .40S&W because [insert joke]. Now there's the problem of rounds leftover from my deceased father -- at least a couple hundred, as I recall. It's been sitting in a safe in a Tennessee garage for at least 10 years. All factory origin but with the temp swings I figure it's bound to be compromised with condensation on the powder, off-gassed primer, etc. What to do with it?
Dig a hole at the far side of the back-forty and chuck them in the dirt. Not worth the risk of damaging a good firearm or, worse, suffering a crippling injury.

My big concern was a squib with just enough pressure to cycle and chamber, then a follow-up going kaboom. Sounds like my theory on ammo degradation was way more cautious than most. Thanks for all the feedback.

I recently got out of .40S&W because [insert joke]. Now there's the problem of rounds leftover from my deceased father -- at least a couple hundred, as I recall. It's been sitting in a safe in a Tennessee garage for at least 10 years. All factory origin but with the temp swings I figure it's bound to be compromised with condensation on the powder, off-gassed primer, etc. What to do with it?

I'll take it and shoot it if you don't lol I have black tip 30-06 in m1 garand bandoleers from 1943 that shoots perfectly fine, 10yrs old is nothing.

My big concern was a squib with just enough pressure to cycle and chamber, then a follow-up going kaboom. Sounds like my theory on ammo degradation was way more cautious than most. Thanks for all the feedback.
A squib wont chamber another round. You would have to rack the slide

I ran a single .40 round through the washing machine once. Took it to the range and it fired. I was surprised

There's a guy on the forum who will dispose of it for you. This guy!

There are a few of us shooting 50 year old M2 ball in Garand matches. 10 years is still almost new.

And don't listen to Broc. He wears a man purse and waxes.

There's a guy on the forum who will dispose of it for you. This guy!

There are a few of us shooting 50 year old M2 ball in Garand matches. 10 years is still almost new.

And don't listen to Broc. He wears a man purse and waxes.
That is my conceal carry purse.
I only waxed once, to understand what it felt like to own a .40

10 years old? I've got a ton of surplus ammo that goes back to the 70s if not earlier. The only time I had any issues was with some Czech 762 x 45 ammo made in the mid 1950s. IT was all "click.....bang" so I buried it. If it hasn't been in a damp environment temp swings won't bother it. If it's factory loaded, giftit to someone in your club that has a 40. As stated, the worst that can happen is a FTF or hang fire. If that happens, let them handle it. I doubt, very much, if there will be any issues. Heck....10 years old to me would be some of my "newer stuff". LOL

Karma if you really don't want to shoot it. Fore-Tay has been known to spontaneously kaboom so I don't blame you if you want to give it away ;-)

Back
Top Bottom