• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Politician's Responses to AG Overeach

Obie1

NES Member
Someone suggested that we have a thread for your rep's and sen's and AG and gov's responses to our inquiries. So here it is. Post 'em here.

Thanks David. Yes, this action by the AG is more troubling as we understand the full impacts of it. I am glad that you are going into Boston for the rally on Saturday. Unfortunately I will not be there, as I have a family commitment on Saturday that was made before this unusual Saturday session was scheduled. But I look forward to working with GOAL on this matter as it moves forward.

Thanks again,

Steve

Rep. Stephen Kulik
First Franklin District
Vice Chairman, House Ways & Means Committee
State House, Room 238
Boston, MA 02133
617-722-2380
Email: [email protected]

Here's one (so far the only response I've received)

Peter,

Thanks for reaching out. I am 100% against this move by the Attorney General, and am completely committed to defending your 2nd amendment rights. We’re currently reviewing our options on this to figure out the best way we can stop this. I will keep you updated as we move forward.

Regards,
Jim

Representative Jim Lyons
18[SUP]th[/SUP] Essex District
Serving Andover, Boxford, North Andover, and Tewksbury
State House, Room 443
Boston, MA 02133
P: 617-722-2460

I'm with you 100%.

I was certainly very upset and disappointed to read about the AG's declaration yesterday morning. I share your concerns, and look forward to working with my colleagues to ensure that 2nd amendment rights are preserved for all law-abiding MA citizens! In particular I know that the GOP caucus, and me personally, is already working with GOAL and others to discuss what steps might be taken. While AG Healey claims that she's simply implementing the law, I find it extremely hard to believe that Martha Coakley wouldn't have taken those steps over the past 8 years if it was legal.

Regards,

Joseph McKenna
State Representative
18th Worcester District
(617) 722-2060

...and then Charlie:

On behalf of Governor Charlie Baker, thank you for your recent correspondence regarding a ban on assault weapons. We understand your concern about this issue, and we are grateful to have your voice as part of the discussion.
Please feel free to contact our office in the future with any further questions or concerns; your comments are always welcome in this administration.

Sincerely,

Constituent Services Aide
Office of Governor Charlie Baker
(617) 725-4005
www.mass.gov/governor/contact

Last edited:
Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed email. I also just became aware of this and I agree that the AG is off base in these enforcements. As may you know, in my 20+ years in the Legislature, I have always maintained an A+ rating with GOAL. I fully understand the complexities of our gun laws and will advocate on behalf of all law abiding sportsmen and gun owners.

Thanks again for your email. Please know my office is always open to you.

Sincerely,

Michael J. Rodrigues
STATE SENATOR

From my Senator:
Gobi, Anne (SEN) <[email protected]>

Kevin,
Thank you for reaching out on this. I am coordinating with my colleagues on what options are available to the Legislature. I will be at the GOAL protest tomorrow.

This is my statement on Facebook:
The Attorney General's office has changed the interpretation of an 18 year old law relative to assault rifles and I am not quite sure yet how that will affect gun retailers. My office has not been provided any information other than the op-ed in the Boston Globe and I will be reaching out to the AG for clarification on many aspects of her statement. I urge you to contact their office as well if you have any questions or concerns. For gun owners: any guns bought prior to Wednesday (today) would be grandfathered in to any new regulations. Whatever your stance on gun ownership, a change so sweeping should not have been done without proper communication and public hearings.

The AG's office can be reached at (617) 727-2200 (Boston) or (508) 792-7600 (Worcester)

Sincerely,
Anne

From my rep:
crickets.jpg

Truth be told he's usually a little slower to respond in general.

Hi Jose

I appreciate you reaching expressing your concern on the AG’s announcement yesterday. I, like you, was just as surprised or blindsided by the announcement. There have been many requests put into her office on the matter and I know this will be a matter of discussion amongst House members when we come back into Formal Sessions Saturday afternoon. I agree with you that this does raise many questions that I am looking to find more information on.

Thanks for your advocacy

All the best

Dan

Daniel M. Donahue
State Representative
16th Worcester District
617-722-2006

Here's my response from the governors office

Dear Patrick,
On behalf of Governor Charlie Baker, thank you for your recent correspondence regarding the ban on assault weapons. We understand your concern about this issue, and we are grateful to have your voice as part of the discussion.
Please feel free to contact our office in the future with any further questions or concerns; your comments are always welcome.

My question was not answered and still yet to receive a response from my state rep and senator.

Last edited:
From my Senator:

From my rep:
crickets.jpg

Truth be told he's usually a little slower to respond in general.

I was thinking of reaching out to Anne Gobi just because I remember talking to her at Barre sportsmans club when I lived out in western, MA, and she actually seemed like a decent human. Sounds like shes above party politics at the very least.

Mike

Here's one I received: I also replied back:

One of my reps replies to me: I think they meant interpretation instead of interuption though.

"It's good to hear from you.

Unfortunately as the case may be here, the Attorney General has the statutory authority to interrupt the laws of the commonwealth as they are written and determine how to apply them to the public at large. The language she is "interrupting" in this situation is extremely broad. The statute says:

''Assault weapon'', shall have the same meaning as a semiautomatic assault weapon as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(30) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994, and shall include, but not be limited to, any of the weapons, or copies or duplicates of the weapons,

Because of this broad language and interruption I am a bit worried that fixing this action will be neither quick nor easy, especially given the makeup of the legislature as it currently exists.

Please know that the republican caucus is meeting to discuss what we can do to stop this and try and come up with some solutions. In addition, we are meeting with GOAL's leadership after tomorrow's rally at the statehouse to try and figure out what is next. We are hoping to unveil some ideas soon.

Either way, this fight is likely to continue for a long time..."

Rep. Peter Durant

So I guess this means that any AG can change their interpretation whenever they feel like it and probably as often as they feel like it.

guys, im in TX and i am trying to figure out how your AG can dictate new rules or laws w/o consent of the legislator. Please educate me on all this.

guys, im in TX and i am trying to figure out how your AG can dictate new rules or laws w/o consent of the legislator. Please educate me on all this.
The attorney general has a fair amount of leeway to interpret the laws and direct law enforcement.

While AG Healey claims that she's simply implementing the law, I find it extremely hard to believe that Martha Coakley wouldn't have taken those steps over the past 8 years if it was legal.
That is an important point. AG has a lot of power, but Healey doesn't have any powers that Martha didn't have. Just more balls.
2zf8xh3.jpg

Last edited:
for what it's worth - from Rep. Muratore

Thank you for reaching out to our office regarding the Attorney General's announcement regarding assault weapons. Representative Muratore is a strong supporter of the second amendment, and our office is looking very closely at this release. I would like to direct you to the Attorney General's Consumer Assistance and Response Division hotline, where you are welcome to ask any questions you may have regarding the announcement. That number is (617) 727-8400. Please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions or concerns.

Best,
Rita

Rita G. Murphy
Chief of Staff
Office of Representative Mathew Muratore

State Senator DeMacedo is either working so hard at protecting our rights that he can't respond or maybe he's on vacation again or still...

The attorney general has a fair amount of leeway to interpret the laws and direct law enforcement.

Well looks like the people of MA have a big choice to make. As with NY, CT, CA... the balkanized states are all watching how ya'll respond to this unconstitutional edict.

Yet to hear back from David DeCoste 5th Ply. Considering he beat out
the D incumbent by less then 100 last go round, I figured he would
care but so far nothing.

Well looks like the people of MA have a big choice to make. As with NY, CT, CA... the balkanized states are all watching how ya'll respond to this unconstitutional edict.

The problem is a lot of the response is quiet. Civil disobedience on this matter is often unseen. That said, plenty of people went FA-10 crazy on NES, not exactly civil disobedience. Furthermore, while Id expect a very low compliance number at a "turn it in" order, I guarantee members here would be turning them in.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

I've been communicating with aids of Lovely and Parisella via phone for the last few days. They both say the right things. You know, we support the 2nd Amendment, this has come as a shock to us, we weren't made aware, its unsettling that the language does imply that law-abiding citizens are now criminals at the AG's discretion, that the AG can reinterpret laws, etc etc.

no direct contact with my rep or senator, But the aids answer my calls, and stay on the line with me with what appears to be genuine interest and concern. They've even asked me to send them the news articles, and other information including rally dates.

Also waiting from Dave

Thank you to reaching out to my office regarding the 1998 Gun Control Act and the recent actions of the Attorney General. I appreciate hearing from constituents on issues that are important to them. I'm opposed to what the Attorney General is doing and I will oppose any attempts to further gun control in Massachusetts. I'll be sure to keep you updated.

Please do not hesitate to reach out should you need anything in the future.

David DeCoste
State House Room 236
617-722-2430

On paper the AG cannot. Practically thought the AG can pretty much try and do whatever they want to because there is no direct accountability for them until the next election. That's not for another +2 years, most voters will have forget this by then, and we haven't had a Republican AG for 47 years.

They could lose in court, but there's no punishment for that. We don't have recalls for state-level offices. Although technically part of the Executive branch headed by the Governor, the AG, an elected official, cannot be removed or disciplined by the Governor. Even if he could, Gov. Faker will not.

Even when the AG breaks the law the only folks who have any effective ability to do anything are the Feds, and that only relative to federal law. Given the druthers of those currently running the federal government, there's no way they'd do anything to Healey even if they could.

Marc Lombardo has always supported us 100%!

I was on the steps of that state house yesterday speaking out against the AG's actions. We're working on legislation now to over turn the AGs decision. I'm going to work hard on this. I'll see you Saturday.

-Marc

Marc Lombardo
State Representative

Dear Matt,

Thank you for your email. The Attorney General should not have changed this law without any sort of public process or input from gun owners. I learned of this change through the news this week and was not given any information prior to her press conference. I have many questions about what this means for law abiding gun owners in Massachusetts and I am working with my colleagues on next steps. I do support the rights of responsible, licensed gun owners in the state and I appreciate you sharing your concerns with me.

Respectfully,
Jennifer L. Flanagan
State Senator
Worcester & Middlesex District

I've been communicating with aids of Lovely and Parisella via phone for the last few days. They both say the right things. You know, we support the 2nd Amendment, this has come as a shock to us, we weren't made aware, its unsettling that the language does imply that law-abiding citizens are now criminals at the AG's discretion, that the AG can reinterpret laws, etc etc.

no direct contact with my rep or senator, But the aids answer my calls, and stay on the line with me with what appears to be genuine interest and concern. They've even asked me to send them the news articles, and other information including rally dates.

Wow, I've never tried calling them, of course I wouldn't be able to until the wee hours. I always get some canned bullshit response from Lovely but Parisella has personally responded a few times to my e-mails.

I emailed David Muradian. I've commented on his FB. Was pleasantly surprised he chatted me up. Exchanged good dialog. He's on our side and will be there tomorrow. He agrees legislators should make laws with due process a priority.

Hmmmm similar respnse but for me action is everything so we shall see.

C***,

I was certainly very upset and disappointed to read about the AG's declaration and even more so after reading her interpritation. I share your concerns. We are net-workng with numerous districts' staff and colleagues to ensure that 2nd amendment rights are preserved for all law-abiding MA citizens! In particular I know that the GOP caucus, and me personally, is already working with GOAL and others to discuss what steps might be taken. While AG Healey claims that she's simply implementing the law, I find it extremely hard to believe that Martha Coakley wouldn't have taken those steps over the past 8 years if it was legal.

Regards,

Joseph McKenna
State Representative
18th Worcester District
(617) 722-2060

Ok, finally heard from another Rep - same stuff I suppose:

Hi Peter,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this, we've been getting inundated with calls and emails like yours from a lot of people who are very concerned about the AG's move to re-interpret the AWB. For the record I'm entirely against this action and believe, as you do, that it is little more than political grandstanding. Moreover it will do nothing to stop gun violence as statistics show that rifles are seldom used in these crimes.

I'm working with a group of other State Representatives that feel as we do and we've written a letter to the AG requesting that she rescind her enforcement order. We are in the process of gathering signatures on this letter and we expect to have those by tomorrow. The more signatures we get the more weight this letter will have so please encourage anyone you know to write to their State Rep and State Senators and encourage them to sign on.

We will be working on gathering more support tomorrow when we meet in formal session.

Sincerely,

Lenny Mirra

rep Carol Dykema, crickets by email, voicemail box is full

senator Jamie Eldredge's aid couldn't get off the phone fast enough, but assured me that he was behind the AG 100%. That's what happens when you have no opponent running against you, statism sets in. motherfvcker

Back
Top Bottom