• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

polishing additive?

GunGrey

Banned
Ive been using corncob media and the polshing stuff from midway, but im sick of payin those prices plus shipping.

So i heard about walnut lizard bedding and it being the same as the stuff they sell in gunstores and online. but what are you guys adding to it? Ive seen some posts that mention using Nufinish.

50/50 nufinish and mineral spirits works wonders. (first recommended by DukeinMaine, giving credit to where credits due [wink]) The Nufinish works to polish and the mineral spirits disburses it easier within the tumbler.

Capful of nu-finish every few loads. Run the tumbler for a few mins to let it distribute itself before loading.

-Mike

I use Andersen's 1014 Grit O'Cobb corn cobb grit (about $25/50lb bag) and the cheapest metal polish I can find, usually about $10/quart. I have been warned that the ammonia in this type of polish could harm the brass, but I have yet to encounter any problems.

The NuFinish is a polymer car polish. It is not a wax. It's one of the very few liquid car polishes that does not contain chemicals that polish manufacturers normally add to polishes that buffs off the oxidized layer of paint from your car. Because NuFinish doesn't have those additives, it won't ever hurt the brass, even after long term storage. And, it's cheap enough that it lasts a LONG time.

The mineral spirits not only keep the dust down in the tumbler, it also helps "dissolve" the oxidations and soots on the brass that you clean and polish. It speeds up the process.

I use a lot less NuFinish than 50-50 that Marcus suggests. My mix is more like 60-40 (mineral spirits-NuFinish).

Target recently had extra sized NuFinish on sale for $5. I bought a bunch!

Put the NuFinish and Mineral spirits in the media and tumble just that for about 15 minutes BEFORE adding any brass.

Don't make the mistake of adding brass, and dumping the NuFinish and mineral spirits on top.

I have mothing to compare it to BUT I found 3 bags of the lizard bedding @ a pet store with rips and tears. I scored I got 3 5qt bags for 10bucks. normal price was 11.00 per bag. I dont think any bag had less than a few cup fulls missing.

I also jumped on the nufinish bad wagon from the getgo...seems to be very popular around other forums as well. I to grabbed several bottles @ the Target sale along with some oderless spirits. I mix 50/50 and gets all but the toughest cases clean. I tumble for 4+hours

I also add the used dryer sheets. I dont know if it helps but it definatly gets frikn dirty. Has to do something

correction 10qt bags, I had to go look as the bags are pretty big

Last edited:
picked up some spirits and nufinish at work , just about 15$ with my discount.

just put a cap full and some mineral spirits in.

now to do the three S's

Shit shower and shave........ ill be back later

Last edited:
Ok so they I just pulled them out of the tumbler

most of the newer brass was fine, but there were some that i got from my grandpa and father that were pretty crappy, it didnt really do much to those. Some of the new brass still have some crud on the mouth. I think i need to add more nufinish i only put in a cap full this time. next time i think im going to add more

run the tumbler for 4+ hours, theres a balance point between enough media and cases. I put in the recomended 5lbs of media and 315 30-06 cases in my lyman 4 hours and they are pretty. I was under loading it before.

Which is a common mistake.

It's not the media pressing against the brass that polishes it best...................

It's the weight of the brass, pressing the media against the brass that speeds it up.

Unfortunately, there's a tradeoff. Less brass in the bowl, and the bearings of the motor last longer. More brass in the bowl, and the bearings wear out faster.

More true for the units that use bronze bushings instead of roller bearings for the motor spindles.

I've gone with the heavy duty Dillon units, and really load them up.

run the tumbler for 4+ hours, theres a balance point between enough media and cases. I put in the recomended 5lbs of media and 315 30-06 cases in my lyman 4 hours and they are pretty. I was under loading it before.

well i only put in 60 cases so next time im going to add the rest of the 140 when i do it.

also i have the lyman 1200 and it suggested puttin in 125 .30-06 cases. so being the first time i halfed it

I had a bunch of 5.56 cases that were really crappy and 6 hours of nufinish/mineral spirits in a lyman 2500 wasn't effective. I dropped them in walnut media in a midway tumbler with a small lyman 600 bowl with hoppe's #9 and 4 hours tumbling cleaned them up really well.

love the lizard bedding, gotta get buy Target and get nu-finish tomorrow. Also found real cheap Lyman media at Bargain Cave Cabelas about half price. To expensive full price but half price stuff is great. Lyman turbo tumbler 2400 is a brute

Back
Top Bottom