Polishing a Glock slide ?

Interested in polishing a glock slide what does it take to get it looking good or is it hard to do?

With no replies so far, do I have to be the one to jump on the grenade here and state that you can't polish a turd?

(sorry Youradolt, I had too) :)

With no replies so far, do I have to be the one to jump on the grenade here and state that you can't polish a turd?

(sorry Youradolt, I had too) :)

[rofl] the slide needs to be redone so i figure i'd try it for the hell of it if al else fails it going to glock for refinishing

The Mythbusters did an episode on turd polishing and actually got a couple to take a nice shine. Ostrich and lion turds both polished, but the lion one was a bit shinier.

I saw a used glock for sale at Four Seasons today that looked like it had a nickle plated slide. It was kind of cool looking. I agree, its sort of like putting lipstick on a pig...or maybe gangstas think it looks really bling bling and matches their gold fillings and chains.

To polish, it's all just sandpaper.
Start with coast and go to fine. If you find out you've still got scratch marks then you've gone too quickly.

Once you get to about 1000 grit you should be wet sanding.

After 2000 grit you should be using a buffing wheel with a polishing compound.

Try and sand in the same direction.

To polish, it's all just sandpaper.
Start with coast and go to fine. If you find out you've still got scratch marks then you've gone too quickly.

Once you get to about 1000 grit you should be wet sanding.

After 2000 grit you should be using a buffing wheel with a polishing compound.

Try and sand in the same direction.

thanks

Polished my Glock slide

100_2754.jpg

100_2756.jpg

pics are not to good

Hit it with some more paper.

It looks like you didn't get deep enough.

Basically the gyst is:

Use some course paper.
Move to the next finer paper. Once you get away all the scratch marks from the previous paper you will move on to the next finer.

Once you reach the wetsanding 2000 grit it should be ready for a buffing wheel with polishing compound on it. You can use a dremel with some aluminum polish or really any polish on it.

It's quite a pain in the ass if you want it to look perfect.

What does perfect look like. Are you polishing the Tenifer or removing it? I have a G23 with some holster wear and have not heard ogf the polishing routine. Should I polish or send to Glock for a refinish?

What does perfect look like. Are you polishing the Tenifer or removing it? I have a G23 with some holster wear and have not heard ogf the polishing routine. Should I polish or send to Glock for a refinish?

You can't remove the Tenifer without actually removing metal. He is removing the black parkerizing that is the final finish.

perfectly polished stuff looks like chrome.
No visible scratches. High shine. Just like a mirror when the surface is free of oils.

This is very tedious.

FuelDoor.jpg

Hit it with some more paper.

It looks like you didn't get deep enough.

Basically the gyst is:

Use some course paper.
Move to the next finer paper. Once you get away all the scratch marks from the previous paper you will move on to the next finer.

Once you reach the wetsanding 2000 grit it should be ready for a buffing wheel with polishing compound on it. You can use a dremel with some aluminum polish or really any polish on it.

It's quite a pain in the ass if you want it to look perfect.

it looks a lot better than in the pic but iwas going to go over it one more time

What are you going to hit it with to seal it once you're done "polishing". You'll need to coat it with something to keep it from tarnishing or rusting.

You don't really need to do much with polish. You can just re-polish because that is the actual finish.

Plus it's still Tenifer treated metal.

DuraCoat?

http://www.duracoat-firearm-finishes.com/

No affiliation with above company, and never used their stuff. But they do offer a clear coat. Maybe that would be good? I was thinking of buffing down the bolt on my mauser to a high shine and maybe some other gun parts. Was just worried about sealing it and whether or not that duracoat will rub off on friction areas.... anyone got any ideas?

I had a company out of Nevada do my refinishing and couldnt be happier. Far superior then the Glock company refinish and only $52 shipped back to me. Extractor and barrel included..

w w w.cgwgun.com

zbtb.jpg

Last edited:
http://www.duracoat-firearm-finishes.com/

No affiliation with above company, and never used their stuff. But they do offer a clear coat. Maybe that would be good? I was thinking of buffing down the bolt on my mauser to a high shine and maybe some other gun parts. Was just worried about sealing it and whether or not that duracoat will rub off on friction areas.... anyone got any ideas?

I would suggest Moly resin over Duracoat. I had another company do my complete Tec-9 upper in flat black Moly and it came out perfect.....

h t t p://shop.hendersondefense.biz/main.sc

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom