• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Policing Guns: Why Gun Violence Is Not (Just) a Public Health Problem

MaverickNH

NES Member
Policing Guns: Why Gun Violence Is Not (Just) a Public Health Problem

"In practice, when it comes to prevention of criminal misuse of guns, public health scholars tend to ignore or minimize what we argue is the most important targeted prevention capacity: the criminal justice system’s ability to arrest, punish, and incapacitate shooters. The potential importance of this capacity is most intuitively evident when it fails. Consider the weekend of August 4 [2018] in Chicago in which a total of 74 people were shot (including a stretch with 30 shot over three hours). Just one of the shooters was arrested. "

There's some interesting stuff here. Fear of police, arrest, prosecution, jail *and* armed citizens is a powerful combination. Balancing the police factor is the tricky part - either too much or too little police doesn't work without enough armed citizens.

public health scholars? This is the first image that comes to mind.....

giphy.gif

jesus christ...

perspective broadens the discussion to victimization of all sorts, including suicide and accidents.

Now they're even redefining what a victim is, or trying to.

Public health scholars, ha! Driving into work this morning I heard a radio ad proclaiming that a breakfast consisting of heart-healthy Honey Nut Cheerios is a great way to lower your cholesterol. I think they forgot to mention that you'd primarily be lowering your HDL.

New CDC report: More than 100 million Americans have diabetes or prediabetes
CDC Press Releases

So, yes, I think the public health scholars of our nation are doing a hell of a job!

Back
Top Bottom