• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Police: Woburn Man Who Just Received License To Carry Accidentally Shoots Friend While Showing New Gun

And yet I was labeled unsuitable 19 year after a single arrest dismissal, and I lost the appeal
Did you opt for FID instead?
Oh crap

“….the 19-year-old is paralyzed and still not breathing on his own, after Woburn Police say he was unintentionally shot in the neck over the weekend.

The bullet caused severe spinal damage.”
That's what one lousy bullet can do! Smash bone, tear apart nerve complexes, and muscle tissue, destroy vital organs and a lot of this damage is often irreparable. Mandatory firearm safety classes should include gory photos of people who were killed or permanently maimed by gunfire. That should drive home the point to even the most inattentive student!

Mandatory firearm safety classes should include gory photos of people who were killed or permanently maimed by gunfire. That should drive home the point to even the most inattentive student!
You know I gotta agree with this. But the question is: how do you keep it from being weaponized by tyrants who put in the requirement to calculate pi to the 347th position in your head and swear allegiance to the DNC before LTC allowed?

That's what one lousy bullet can do! Smash bone, tear apart nerve complexes, and muscle tissue, destroy vital organs and a lot of this damage is often irreparable. Mandatory firearm safety classes should include gory photos of people who were killed or permanently maimed by gunfire. That should drive home the point to even the most inattentive student!
So it performs it's job perfectly as designed. I'm not a real fan of mandatory anything but if you said the safety class should include a live fire event I wouldn't have an argument over it.

There isn't and has never been a cure for stupidity.

So it performs it's job perfectly as designed. I'm not a real fan of mandatory anything but if you said the safety class should include a live fire event I wouldn't have an argument over it.

The state police already have say in the curriculum. Nothing is stopping that now so it’s pretty silly to suggest it’s a next step from showing gunshot wounds in a safety class.

The state police already have say in the curriculum. Nothing is stopping that now so it’s pretty silly to suggest it’s a next step from showing gunshot wounds in a safety class.
As a freshman in Machine Shop we had to watch various safety films and one was on grinding wheels and grinding. Over 47 years later I've never stood in front of or inline of any bench or surface grinder and turned on the switch. I've done a shit load of operations where safety glasses were required and I've ignored the glasses but not on a grinder.
It was a very strong eye opening experience.

As a freshman in Machine Shop we had to watch various safety films and one was on grinding wheels and grinding. Over 47 years later I've never stood in front of or inline of any bench or surface grinder and turned on the switch. I've done a shit load of operations where safety glasses were required and I've ignored the glasses but not on a grinder.
It was a very strong eye opening experience.
Similarly I’ve been given briefings on safe practices around helicopters. 😳, but effective.

When my sons were old enough to safely handle firearms, I staged my own "live fire" event. At the range, I set up a wooden pallet, stapled a "thug with handgun" combat target to it and placed a large office water cooler jug filled with water behind. After muffs and safety glasses went on, I opened fire with an Ithaca 37, slugs and OO buck. Wood splinters, mangled paper, water and pieces of plastic flew into the air as I worked the pump action and fired as fast and accurately as I could. My sons and I surveyed the damage. They saw the destructive power of gunfire for themselves. My days of preaching gun safety to them ended, right then and there!

This is why you let the ambulance cart your “friend” to the ED; more time to stash the evidence ...
It's a race between the ambulance and the closest cruiser,
and under normal circumstances J. Random Prowl Car
is closer to the sight of the incidence
than some ambulance parked at a fire station.

Legal purchased handgun, dumbass owner and a ND.
I wouldn't want to bet a paycheck on all four guns being legally purchased by that clown.

A couple of things struck me about this. First was the amount of time/resources expended by the multiple police officers just to type up everything.
Reminded me a little of the aprés-surgery report
by The Bride's hip surgeon.
Every verb phrase of every sentence had an adverb
emphasizing what a good job he did.
"I carefully popped the ball out of the socket,
and lovingly debrided the torn socket lining. ..." [rofl]

Next was "Geo's" mother.
She wanted to be the next BLM YoutUbe star,
but he was all like, "I didn't do it Ma.
STFU before he Terry Frisks me
and discovers the switchblade in my pocket".
(ETA: NTTAWWT).

I’m guessing the DNC will pick this one up — using gang banger shootings where they were breaking the law being in possession are crappy use cases to tie more gun laws for law abiding citizens to.

Any incident involving a gun owner with legal possession makes a much stronger argument for more gun laws and confiscation, since the true adage “criminals don’t follow the law” can’t be used.

Although, in this case one could argue this guy IS a criminal — criminally negligent.
Do folks really think that all the police reports on the site of the shooting
heavily emphasized the Burned and Unburned pot smell,
because they were going to testify before the selectmen
that the neighborhood needed to have a dispensary opened -
so that yout's didn't have to buy their pot on the street by the bushel
to avoid the distant commute to wherever the closest existing pot shop is?

As a freshman in Machine Shop we had to watch various safety films and one was on grinding wheels and grinding. Over 47 years later I've never stood in front of or inline of any bench or surface grinder and turned on the switch.
Pro-tip: don't stand in the plane of lathe/drill press chucks, either.

In junior high school, the scamps would wait until the teacher pulled the breaker
on all of the power tool circuits at the end of the period, and then put
the key in the chuck with the machine still turned on.
After taking attendance of the next class,
the teacher would re-energize the circuits,
at which point the machine would whip its key across the room. [shocked]

This is a chance for creative sentencing. Send the shooter to a personal care training class and give him lifetime probation on the condition he serve as the shootee's care attendant.
Might not be a growth career. Some victims' families
would be out around town pricing shallow graves
in case the shooter makes bail before trial.

Can you walk me through the other enumerated rights in the Constitution the require mandatory training before exercising them? Freedom of Religion? Vote? I have to take a test before I can be secure in my person, house, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures?
Agree. I'd be all for the gov providing refundable tax credits to encourage people to take training classes they might not otherwise be able to afford. As for mandatory training, that's a non-starter.

Lots of people would benefit from a mandatory class on how to properly cast a ballot before being allowed to vote. However, the Constitution does not allow for erecting such hurdles in the path to exercising a fundamental constitutional right.

This is a chance for creative sentencing. Send the shooter to a personal care training class and give him lifetime probation on the condition he serve as the shootee's care attendant.
If we're being creative then, the gov's compelling interest in public safety would be better served by requiring sterilization of the dumbass as a condition of his release than would be achieved by loss of his 2A rights. Making him a prohibited person for the purpose of procreation would provide superior benefit to the public.

In the end, it's a terrible shame the victim's life is forever altered, however, you do choose your friends. It's nice to have one dope in your posse to serve as the fall guy but, McShooter's stupid gene rose to the level of seriously dangerous.

Does the Woburn CoP or his licensing officer not conduct in-person interviews with applicants? I would think a 10 minute face-to-face chat with McShooter might have raised some suitability concerns.

Keep in mind that the criteria for a suitability denial is the same for an FID and a LTC, just the process is different. And then ask, if the PD won on a suitability appeal and then the applicant filed for an FID, what do you think they would do?
Yes I did try and they literally used that I lost the appeal as "proof" that I was unsuitable.
The funny thing was, while I was fighting this I got both my NH and Utah non-res and listed the denial on both. I've also spoken with a number of LOs in other jurisdictions and universally said they would have issued. Personally I always thought it had something to do with my civil rights complaint from the arrest, officer Trask wasn't happy, as if retired Chief Trask (he wasn't Chief at the time but he was high up, and I was very vocal in town politics about problems in the PD). Yes they can screw you over for nothing. And they won, I left MA.

Keep in mind that the criteria for a suitability denial is the same for an FID and a LTC, just the process is different. And then ask, if the PD won on a suitability appeal and then the applicant filed for an FID, what do you think they would do?
Yes I did try and they literally used that I lost the appeal as "proof" that I was unsuitable.
The funny thing was, while I was fighting this I got both my NH and Utah non-res and listed the denial on both. I've also spoken with a number of LOs in other jurisdictions and universally said they would have issued. Personally I always thought it had something to do with my civil rights complaint from the arrest, officer Trask wasn't happy, as if retired Chief Trask (he wasn't Chief at the time but he was high up, and I was very vocal in town politics about problems in the PD). Yes they can screw you over for nothing. And they won, I left MA.
I know of one case where the individuals LTC was revoked because he had charges dropped or was found not guilty but the PD did not resist when he filed for an FID.

I know of one case where the individuals LTC was revoked because he had charges dropped or was found not guilty but the PD did not resist when he filed for an FID.
The PD was probably worried about him carrying a concealed weapon. OK with FID? Yes. How would he hide a shotgun or rifle? Shove it up his ass?

The PD was probably worried about him carrying a concealed weapon. OK with FID? Yes. How would he hide a shotgun or rifle? Shove it up his ass?
In that case it was revoked because of charges, not suitability. Some departments just never get into the whole suitability thing.

With the definition of suitability being the same, a person could easily argue that issuing an FID was proof of suitability.

The LTC Holder displayed he had a gun when aggressed by a large individual with a record of assault. My understanding is he held it by his side and did not point it at the complaintant.

Yup, he took a gamble the other party would not report it .... and lost.

No conviction resulted, though I do not know the outcome of the assailant's pending assault case (yes, really).

The LTC Holder displayed he had a gun when aggressed by a large individual with a record of assault. My understanding is he held it by his side and did not point it at the complaintant.

Yup, he took a gamble the other party would not report it .... and lost.

No conviction resulted, though I do not know the outcome of the assailant's pending assault case (yes, really).
Maybe chiefs and their designation LOs don't want to jeopardize their limited discretion WRT FIDs. If a chief decided that all teenagers were potential school shooters and denied issue of FID cards to them, even with parental approval, it would end up in court on 2A grounds very quickly!

In that case it was revoked because of charges, not suitability. Some departments just never get into the whole suitability thing.

With the definition of suitability being the same, a person could easily argue that issuing an FID was proof of suitability.
Nope, it’s not. There is no definition of suitability. The outright denial criteria prerequisites before you even get to suitability are the same between FID and LTC, but chiefs can easily have separate suitability criteria for each.

Yea, the car crash pictures and videos did the trick for drives ED in the 80's and 90's

Generall I'm against the Gov adding restriction to gun ownership. But every time I hear about an incident like this, and someone brings up a training requirement with live fire, I find it hard to argue my side. It's easy for those like myself that had a decade of shooting experience before getting their LTC, to look at a completely inexperienced person just getting an LTC and wonder WTF. And frankly, what MA requires isn't really training in my mind, its just for show and to make another hoop to jump through. If it was real training it would take a lot more than one day.

Well, the thing is, most training is not really "training" in the proper sense. It's "instruction on how to train by yourself". Training is a continual process. You have to keep doing it. But somebody can set you up for that with a few hours of instruction. Even if you had 3 days of training, you'd suck again in no time if you just let the skills die on the vine by not practicing them. And it seems to me that safe handling skills aren't really about knowing something, rather about adopting good habits. It takes some time before good habits become second nature.

I don't support anything compulsory because government is always going to do something stupid and ineffective. Reasonable people will get training or otherwise act responsibly, while stupid people (who don't know they are stupid) are never going to get anything out of what you make them do. Maybe carrot instead of stick, i.e. we could have some kind of incentive to get training. But, yeah, like that's going to happen in Massachusetts. Nope. They want us gun owners to curl up and die. The don't want to support us.

Nope, it’s not. There is no definition of suitability. The outright denial criteria prerequisites before you even get to suitability are the same between FID and LTC, but chiefs can easily have separate suitability criteria for each.
Wrong
For an LTC
"A determination of unsuitability shall be based on: (i) reliable and credible information that the applicant or licensee has exhibited or engaged in behavior that suggests that, if issued a license, the applicant or licensee may create a risk to public safety; or (ii) existing factors that suggest that, if issued a license, the applicant or licensee may create a risk to public safety."
And an FID
" (i) reliable, articulable, and credible information that the applicant has exhibited or engaged in behavior to suggest the applicant could potentially create a risk to public safety; or (ii) existing factors that suggest that the applicant could potentially create a risk to public safety. "

The chief can say anything he wants, but with the legal definition being identical the argument in court writes itself. How can someone be a risk to public safety and not at the same time. And does say handgun v. rifle, all that takes is bring up the media bull on mass shooting that in MA the judge is sure to believe.

Wrong
For an LTC
"A determination of unsuitability shall be based on: (i) reliable and credible information that the applicant or licensee has exhibited or engaged in behavior that suggests that, if issued a license, the applicant or licensee may create a risk to public safety; or (ii) existing factors that suggest that, if issued a license, the applicant or licensee may create a risk to public safety."
And an FID
" (i) reliable, articulable, and credible information that the applicant has exhibited or engaged in behavior to suggest the applicant could potentially create a risk to public safety; or (ii) existing factors that suggest that the applicant could potentially create a risk to public safety. "

The chief can say anything he wants, but with the legal definition being identical the argument in court writes itself. How can someone be a risk to public safety and not at the same time. And does say handgun v. rifle, all that takes is bring up the media bull on mass shooting that in MA the judge is sure to believe.
But at least one court in MA held that these are not the only reasons the issuing authority may use, and that (s)he is free to use other criteria as well.

Back
Top Bottom