Police: WIU students arrested with cache of weapons

A later search of the vehicle turned up two rifles and two loaded pistols, most or all with paraphernalia including silencers, optical sites and laser pointers attached. One of the pistols, a .22-caliber, was under the driver's seat, while the other was under the passenger's seat.

My God! These guys had optical sites? They must be killers.

Just look at this ... optical site

Dangerous, man.

If you cut thru all the bs, the only thing it looks like they are in big trouble about is the posession of "silencers". If they really were silencers attached ot the weapons, that is a pretty big no no. And that makes you wonder about their intentions.

Other than that, did not sound that unusual to some of the shootsinfests I used to go to in Vermont! You need enough ammo for a good two days of shooting! And that would look like "a truckload" to a newspaper reporter.

What specifically is unlawful use of a firearm that applies if you don't brandish it, fire it, or otherwise do anything else with it other than possess it, despite having a license for them so that doesn't apply? I am lost.

What is Unlawful Use of Weapons?
Section 24-1 of the Criminal Code of 1961:

"(a) a person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:

*** Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person except when on his land or in his abode or fixed place of business any pistol, revolver, stun gun, taser or other firearm." 720 ILCS 5/24-1(a)(4)(West 1994).

Are there any exceptions?Yes!

The Code also provides for certain situations in which section 24-1(a)(4) does not apply. Section 24-2(i) provides:

"nothing in this Article shall prohibit, apply to, or affect the transportation, carrying, or possession of any pistol, revolver, stun gun, taser, or other firearm which is unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container, by the possessor of a valid Firearms Owners Identification Card." 720 ILCS 5/24-2(i)(West 1994).

Sec. 24-1. Unlawful Use of Weapons.
(a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:
(4) Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person except when on his land or in his own abode or fixed place of business any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, except that this subsection (a) (4) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following conditions:
(iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner's identification Card;

How can I legally transport a firearm on my person or in my vehicle?

Three statutory codes regulate the possession, transfer, and transportation of firearms- the Criminal Code, the Wildlife Code, and the Firearm Owner's Identification Act. Under Unlawful Use of Weapons (UUW) in the Criminal Code, persons who have been issued a valid FOID card may transport a firearm anywhere in their vehicle or on their person as long as the firearm is unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container. Firearms that are not immediately accessible or are broken down in a non-functioning state may also be carried or transported under the Criminal Code. The Wildlife Code, however, is more restrictive. It requires that all firearms transported in or on any vehicle be unloaded and in a case. Because of this, it is recommended that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, all firearms be transported:

1. Unloaded and,
2. Enclosed in a case, and
3. By persons who have a valid FOID card.

What is Unlawful Use of Weapons?
Section 24-1 of the Criminal Code of 1961:

"(a) a person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:

*** Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person except when on his land or in his abode or fixed place of business any pistol, revolver, stun gun, taser or other firearm." 720 ILCS 5/24-1(a)(4)(West 1994).

Are there any exceptions?Yes!

[snip...]

So basically what is a civil infraction here is a crime in illinois (I assume you looked up their law here). Thanks. That was not clear by the name since no "use", at least in the active sense, occurred.

So basically what is a civil infraction here is a crime in illinois (I assume you looked up their law here). Thanks. That was not clear by the name since no "use", at least in the active sense, occurred.

It is generally a good idea to know what the law is prior to criticizing how the police enforce it.

Terraformer...that is not directed at you [wink]

Whether rightly or wrongly, I think the fact that these guys are students at WIU has a big effect in determining how far the police will investigate. We need no reminders that a few students have armed themselves and gone on violent and deadly rampages at schools they attend.
Best Regards.
So because they are college students they have no rights?! I'm honestly sickened by this comment...

Well there is obviously more to the story than what has been reported. Two people in the early morning hours, heavily armed and wearing vests are going to cause some suspicion. What we might have here is a scenario where both sides gave off the wrong kind of vibes. There must have been something wrong with the kind of attitude that the two gave off when they were stopped. I can also envision a scenario where it is in the dead of night, and there are some bored coppers on patrol who decide to go on a fishing expedition. I encountered this when I used to work the night shift at our Crime Lab in Sudbury. (I used to like to see the reaction of the officer when I pulled over turned on all my interior lights and handed over my driver's license and MSP ID).

My guess is that these guys talked themselves into a situation and may have also been in a technical violation of the Illinois transport law (I'd have to know more about that as well as to whether they actually had silencers/suppressors).

I am not pleased with the fact that their university suspended them. They are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Even if they are acquitted, or if their charges are reduced or if they are convicted of a lesser offense, I fear that it will be held against them by academia, and the one who was a CJ major...forget it, his career in law enforcement is over before it even begins regardless of the outcome.

It's a sad situation for everyone concerned.

I'm guessing mall-ninja / LEO wannabes who encountered a Barney Fife or several Barney Fife's and the whole thing went to s--t quickly.

Mark L.

It is generally a good idea to know what the law is prior to criticizing how the police enforce it.

Terraformer...that is not directed at you [wink]

I guess that lets the news reporters and media of the "check the facts" hook.[grin]

Back
Top Bottom