• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Police thought they saw a gun during a traffic stop, but it was a flamethrower

mikeyp

NES Member

A Springfield man faces several related charges, including possession of an infernal machine.

1591639839947.png

When Springfield police stopped a vehicle early Sunday after seeing someone standing up and recording himself in an open sunroof, they thought they saw a gun inside.

It turns out it was a flamethrower, authorities said.

Brandon McGee, 33, of Sunapee Street, is being charged with carrying a dangerous weapon with an active warrant, and possession of an infernal machine, according to Springfield police in a news release. He also had an active default felony warrant for receiving a stolen motor vehicle, and operating a motor vehicle with a suspended license, subsequent offense.

Police had set up an anti-drag racing detail near East Columbus Avenue when, at around 1 a.m., they saw McGee standing up through his sunroof, and noticed the vehicle’s inspection sticker wasn’t active, the release said.

When police stopped the vehicle near the 400 block on East Columbus Avenue, they found three people inside and what they thought was a rifle grip, according to their report.

“The occupants stated that it was not a gun, but a flamethrower and Mr. McGee stated it belonged to him,” police said in the release.

The driver of the vehicle was also cited for lack of a current inspection sticker, authorities said.

View: https://twitter.com/PIO_SPD/status/1270017328252583937

Ha Ha... it's not even a real flame thrower... he should have sold it right after it was sold out and made a cool $1k off of it

Whoever charged him a sort of a moron given that it's basically just a propane torch if they think that thing is a flamethrower than basically every plumber and welder in Massachusetts has an infernal machine in their possession....

Side note. Anyone believe this guy actually purchased that from Elon in the limited offer when they sold out immediately? That guy a big underground tunnel fan? Lol.

Maybe they should find out where he stole it from.

Whoever charged him a sort of a moron given that it's basically just a propane torch if they think that thing is a flamethrower than basically every plumber and welder in Massachusetts has an infernal machine in their possession....
Did you see the front page of USA Today this morning? Peoples' view of cops and their behavior is at an extremely low level. These types of BS charges are part of the reason.. Arrest on the warrant, cite for the expired sticker and be done with it. MA laws do not, per se, ban flame-producing devices, as you indicated.

That thin blue is starting to get pushed back from the middle of the decal, at some point it is going to be on the edge

These are the same stupid cops that arrest kids for buying belts with inert empty shell casings on them

Did you see the front page of USA Today this morning? Peoples' view of cops and their behavior is at an extremely low level. These types of BS charges are part of the reason.. Arrest on the warrant, cite for the expired sticker and be done with it. MA laws do not, per se, ban flame-producing devices, as you indicated.

Yes, but in this case it doesn't matter so much, that guy has a dumpster full of charges for other stuff after that one gets dropped....

Side note. Anyone believe this guy actually purchased that from Elon in the limited offer when they sold out immediately? That guy a big underground tunnel fan? Lol.

Maybe they should find out where he stole it from.

Well, either stole, or someone traded it to him for a bag of dope or something...

I'm guessing with a decent lawyer everything gets tossed since that is not a flame thrower. This is the equivalent of arresting someone with an umbrella becuase you thought it was a gun.

Springfield PD has gotten to the point where they just throw whatever they can at people and hope it sticks. That isn't even a flame thrower. Is it even illegal to have a flamethrower? Farmers use them to burn fields, I though it was just more illegal to do illegal things with one lol

Last edited:
This idiot did everything he could to get behind bars short of steal the handcuffs, put them on and walk directly to the jail.

Howzabout don't accept rides from someone with expired inspection stickers ? That's like waving a flag that sez: "pull me over and search my ride ! " Get better friends.

That's the PLAN.

In jolly old England, a guy was charged with unlawful possession of a knife. "I install carpet, I need a knife...."

"OK, but you have another knife in your tool box!"

"I need a spare, in case the first one breaks"

"What's up with the THIRD knife?"

"It's another spare."

He was convicted.

There are Sharkbite fittings; Nobody needs a torch (I'm thinking of YOU Fixah! [laugh])

I was just finishing the last cigar I brought back from Florida, and realized the lighter I use would probably get me arrested in Massachusetts....

no shit...that thing "throws flames" like 2 feet. Shit our cigar torches may as well be infernal machines [laugh]

I haven't seen, doesn't mean there isn't, an update on this.

Massachusetts RMV postpones vehicle inspection deadlines during coronavirus emergency

BRAINTREE, Mass. —

Citing recommendations for social distancing during the ongoing state of emergency related to COVID-19, the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles on Friday grated a reprieve to anyone with inspection stickers set to expire in the near future.

According to the announcement, any noncommercial vehicles with inspection stickers set to expire March 31 can be inspected by May 31. Those noncommercial vehicles with stickers set to expire April 30 will have until June 30.

Noncommercial vehicles with a sticker indicating a failed inspection during March must be re-inspected by May 31, and those issued a failed inspection sticker due to expire in the month of April must be reinspected by June 30.

"Regardless of the date of inspection, vehicles issued a failed inspection sticker due to a safety defect (indicated by a sticker with a red letter ‘R’) shall not be operated until appropriate repairs have been completed," officials wrote.

Must be something in the water supply in that section of the state. A number of years ago someone in Holyoke was charged with carrying a gun, to wit, a spodzooka and when that did not stick they refiled as possession of a nefarious device. The court rules it was not.

Expired stickers dont give cops a free search.
It kinda does though. Nothing says they can't observe a pistol grip or other possible paraphernalia through the window as they ask for license and registration. Now theres probable cause.

BIC lighter or not, the guy is a moron for leaving the so called "flame thrower" someplace visible. I wouldn't, not worth the possible confusion it could cause. Gumps momma wasn't kidding when she said "Stupid is as stupid does."

Back
Top Bottom