1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Police: "Sorry, We Can't Arrest You Without An ID"

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Zappa, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Zappa

Zappa Road Warrior NES Member

Attorney: Police wouldn't arrest wanted man who lacked ID

2. Jason Flare

Jason Flare NES Member

They need to hire the cop from the police protecting thread that arrested the passenger for not using the driver’s blinker.

He didn’t get an ID from that guy.

xtry51, CK30, Chevy 2 65 and 3 others like this.
  3. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

If he'd just been walking down the street minding his own business without any ID, they would have found a reason to arrest him.

CK30 likes this.
  4. 5811

5811 NES Member

Yeah, this guy has it right.... Every person minding their own business walking down the street goes to jail. That's exactly how it happens every time... :rolleyes:

5. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

well, yeah!
    The police already HAD a suspect they were looking for, and this guy looked nothing like him!

suspect:
    [​IMG]

6. C. Stockwell

C. Stockwell NES Member

There are, in fact, instances of people being arrested for walking down the street. Usually happens with the homeless or people who have previous arrests that cops don't like. However, if the prosecutor has any decency at all, the case gets thrown out.

Put it this way, this is something likely to occur in a large city with not that much police oversight and large populations of homeless/transient/criminal people, and not in small town USA. I've walked down country roads before at night and cops have given me rides, rather than arrested me.

Black Man Is Arrested While Walking, and Minnesota City Starts a ‘Conversation’

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...e-black/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.a01af49b0dbb

Stopping and Questioning People on the Street

Innocence Is Irrelevant in the Age of the Plea Bargain - The Atlantic

The Atlantic article is the best one:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Mesatchornug and milktree like this.
  7. 5811

5811 NES Member

Oh, I'm well aware that there are dirtbags cops out there that have arrested people on BS charges, and any cop that does that should lose their job and be charged themselves. But this guy is trying to make it seem like that's the norm, which isn't anywhere close to reality.

8. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

It should never happen even once. Remember, each time it happens the life of an innocent person harming no one can be ruined.

9. Chevy 2 65

Chevy 2 65 NES Member

All cops are.. Why because ALL of them just go along with it.. They all protect the blue line and if you don't well then your job is going to suck big time.

teaser452, CK30, tuna and 1 other person like this.
  10. 5811

5811 NES Member

Man, tough crowd. I'm on here saying stuff like that is a problem and the cops doing it should be punished for it and you guys are still being pricks.

11. Chevy 2 65

Chevy 2 65 NES Member

Have you ever witnessed any wrong doing by a fellow officer and reported it?
    Have you ever been to a call and stopped any officer from making a clear BS arrest?

No support from anyone telling captain fat belly the guy can video record.
    There should be no plain clothes police

View: https://youtu.be/zaF2u9G-jXE

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Jason Flare likes this.
  12. 5811

5811 NES Member

No, have not witnessed wrongdoing.

Yes, I have stopped people from making a bad arrest.

Absolutely there IS a need for plain clothes officers, but thanks for your input.

Now, what profession are you in? So we can blame you directly for the actions of people you have never met.

Kicker96FS likes this.
  13. Jason Flare

Jason Flare NES Member

Go over to the police protecting thread and point out the cops stopping other cops from making bad arrests.

You can’t be the only good cop.

Chevy 2 65 likes this.
  14. 5811

5811 NES Member

I refuse to go into that thread, it isn't possible to have a reasonable discussion with anyone in there. Certain people just want to say that all cops are pieces of shit no matter what. Much like any profession, there is a small percentage that doesn't do stuff the right way.

Should every auto mechanic be considered shady because SOME shops try to scan people out of money?

Is every teacher bad because of the percentage that preach communist doctrine and give failing grades to anyone that disagrees with them?

Are we going to claim all contractors are bad because there are some out there that will leave people's house a mess and won't return to your house to work for a month and won't call you?

I just get annoyed with arm chair quarterbacks who think they know how other people should be doing their jobs but have never once worked a minute in that profession.

Absolutely there are bad cops out there, but it is a very tiny percentage... Like every profession. But like every profession, the great majority of it is good people that do their job the right way.

jimnasium likes this.
  15. Chevy 2 65

Chevy 2 65 NES Member

I don't need to meet them. I work in IT, so you can blame me for your slow internet connection. You say you have not witnessed wrong but then state you stopped people from making a bad arrest. No there is not a need for plain clothes police and too bad if you don't like being recorded because you are in plain clothes.
    Stay Safe out there. Yes, I mean it.

Jason Flare likes this.
  16. Chevy 2 65

Chevy 2 65 NES Member

A little math. If 1 cop does wrong and 6 witness it and do nothing. How many bad cops are there.

teaser452, Super99Z and Jason Flare like this.
  17. Jason Flare

Jason Flare NES Member

Start a thread of your own. I suggest:

Good Cops Stopping Bad Cops From Doing Bad Things

(BTW, pretty good math problem from Chevy.)

teaser452 and Tallen like this.
  18. Tallen

Tallen

No doubt it will be a megathread.

Jason Flare likes this.
  19. Mesatchornug

Mesatchornug

There are clearly enough happy to pile on here, but there's a distinction between LE and all the examples you list.

Only one has the (effectively) unmoderated ability to take lives as a part of doing their job.

And yes, every teacher that doesn't call their out comrades on their propaganda is equally responsible. Yes, every mechanic and contractor should be approached cautiously because they may be shady, until they prove themselves otherwise. This is why we ask our friends for recommendations; this is what "rate my teacher" sites are for.

Now, I'm going to schedule a design review. Because I work as an engineer, and in our field, checking one another's work is part of doing the job.

BTW - while I distrust authority, I generally like cops and have been fortunate throughout my life to count several as friends. It seems you're trying to be a good one; thanks for that.

Chevy 2 65 likes this.
  20. 5811

5811 NES Member

Not even "trying" it's pretty simple. You just don't be right thing. If the PC isn't there you don't make the arrest, if it is there you do.

And Chevy, stopping an officer from making a bad arrest in no way means that officer was up to no good. Maybe they didn't have all the info at the time, bit based on the info that they had they were going to make an arrest, and then you explained another angle to the incident. Maybe the guy or girl is inexperienced and it's the first time they dealt with a situation like that. But of course, you default to "bad cop". It's simply not the case MOST of the time. I'm lucky that I'm assigned to a small unit and the group of guys are all solid guys and just don't do stuff that is wrong or shady or whatever, we just do our jobs. If we don't have PC to search we don't search. If we don't have PC to arrest we don't arrest. If someone wants to fight with us or run, we use the amount of force we need to arrest them and then it's over. I've stopped guys in situations where I thought they were about to do something stupid and told them I'd handle the situation. I don't know if they would have crossed the line or not if I didn't pull them aside but the important thing is they didn't cross the line.

Chevy, I'm not gonna blame all IT guys for identity theft.... Only the people that actually did the wrongdoing.

And if you think the "blue wall" is bad.... It's peanuts compared to what goes on in politics, academia and in courthouses.

Cipher likes this.
  21. rommel

rommel NES Member

Here is the real problem and why so many people are frustrated. Cops rarely lose their jobs and even more rarely are charged. The frustation from people including myself is that the rules are not the same for cops. So yeah when cops and prosecutors are out there charging us and not themselves then they are all bad. The core is rotten and thus even the good cops are still bad. Guilt by association sound familiar to you.

CK30 likes this.
  22. CK30

CK30

None. Only you and your dog are in the wrong for seeing it, and they’ll deal with you two easily enough to make sure their narrative becomes the “facts”.

23. 5811

5811 NES Member

And this right here is exactly why I usually avoid these conversations. There is no chance of a reasonable discussion with people like this. I know plenty of absolutely great people who are cops.... Local state and federal, and military police as well for that matter.

If you ever wonder why some cops have an "us versus them" mentality, go look in the mirror, because you are a part of the problem. You sure as shit aren't helping anything if you have the mentality that all cops are bad, no matter what. If you want to assign blame to individuals who deserve it I'm 100% on board. Your line of thinking is just childish.

24. rommel

rommel NES Member

I am able to differentiate the people who are cops from the behavior of the cops. You seem to think that because the person who is a cop is a good person then automatically that makes him/her a good cop.
    I bet for most convicted criminals I could find a whole lot of people who would swear they are good people. Conversely I could find some really bad cops who actually do good police work. I would agree with you that most cops are actually good people. I can also see that the good people who are cops can and probably at many points in their careers do very bad police work.
    The big problem is the lack of accountability for the people who do bad police work combined with the system that protects their mistakes and or willfull disregard of laws. So I will back off my earlier statement and revise it for you. The system is corrupt and the cop culture is corrupt to the core and unfortunately for the good people who are cops or even the actual good cops, they by default are corrupt.
    Keep trying to defend the problem because there are some nice guys who work as cops. Turn a blind eye to the system that protects them. That is why there is an us and them. If you can not see why some cop who violates someones rights or abuses their power, whether that person is a scumbag or not is a seriois threat to the innocent people in this country then you do not deserve to be a cop.

25. Chevy 2 65

Chevy 2 65 NES Member

Stay safe out there and do the right thing..always. Stay true to freedom and liberty.

26. 5811

5811 NES Member

Rommel, people might take you more seriously if you didn't try to present your opinion as fact. You make it seem like your perception of things is the "right" way. Some serious holier than thou stench coming off you.

What sucks about it is I agree with you to a degree on some of what you are saying, but the way you present it makes me not even want to continue a discussion with you.

27. AHM

AHM NES Member

I said to myself, "Self, what is the most likely Minnesota City for that story?"
    And the obvious answer was, "Edina".
    Click on the link.
    Yep.
    Why was Edina preordained, I hear you ask?
    [​IMG]

28. Bonesinium

Bonesinium

If that were true why is it that in every video of police misconduct there isn't a single cop there who will do anything to stop it? The answer is because it's not true. There are a lot more bad cops than you'd like people to believe.

Sort of helps substantiate the whole turning a blind eye thing. Plausible deniability. Nope, never seen a cop do a bad thing in my life!

29. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Somewhere recently some urban young female was complaining about some employee somewhere. I got a kick out of "He should be fired on sight." I then posited that as long as he never showed up again, they would have to continue sending him paychecks. LOL

Sounds like her brother is a cop. ROFL!