• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Police: Professor Had Hundreds Of Guns In Home

ccm75

NES Member
Reporting
Ron Sanders WEST BOYLSTON (WBZ) ― West Boylston police say they've arrested a Becker College professor who had nearly a hundred guns and thousands of rounds of ammunition in his house.

Ron Sanders learned some of the guns were stolen, and serial numbers on the rest of them are being computer-checked by federal Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms agents.

A couple of the guns are semi-automatic versions of an AK-47 and an M4.

Chief Dennis Minnich said seven of the guns were stolen; one of them had been taken, along with a quarter-million dollars in jade, in a robbery in Arizona last fall.

The chief said the guns were found with thousands of rounds of ammunition in the home of James Mitchener who was held on $2,000 bail for larceny and gun charges.

A woman who lives next door but preferred to not give her name says, other than a dispute about his apple trees, Mitchener was a good neighbor and she was surprised.

"I think it's terrible to have such ammunition right next door to you," she said.

Chief Minnich says Mitchener, a part-time professor of environmental science at Becker College also worked at Wayne's Weaponry in West Boylston, the owner of which reported two guns stolen last month.

"I'm in shock that it turned out to be him," says Wayne Almstrom. "When my wife and I would take off for bike week, he'd run the shop for me and everything was always perfect."

The chief says the guns stolen from Wayne's Weaponry were among those found in Mitchener's home, which he allowed police to search after they interviewed him and he admitted stealing them.

"I don't understand the motive. That's what's interesting. He had a legitimate license to carry...and he turned around and was stealing firearms so he added to his arsenal. The reason for that, I don't know," says the chief, who asks anyone missing firearms or who had dealings with James Mitchener to call West Boylston Police.

He also says, if convicted, Mitchener will never get any of his guns back. His license to carry has been revoked.

A spokesman for Becker College says Mitchener is not teaching at the school this term. The school has just learned about the incident and will look into it further.

(© MMVIII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So why didn't he convert any of them to full-auto? C'mon, if you're gonna commit felonies with firearms, you might as well go whole hog. [rolleyes]

"I think it's terrible to have such ammunition right next door to you," she said.

It's terrible to think that I may have such idiots living right next door to me.

Wow, I bought my first gun a Glock 19 from Wayne and this guy helped me test it out. I really feel sorry for Wayne from Wayne's Weaponry he has always been friendly, trusting and supports the Boy Scouts at Treasure Valley in Rutland MA

Several hundred guns, No problem.
Thousands of rounds of Ammo, No problem.
Stealing from your friend who trusted you, Big problem.

Sorry, once you cross that line you deserve what you get.

Dumb with a degree.

About as notable as being both a junkie and a thief. Some people pick up degrees in order to pursue a particular career path or incidental to learning for learning's sake; others get them in an attempt to cover up or compensate for their stupidity. A lot of the lat group seem to congregate in academia, since there's less chance of being outed there than in the real world.

Ken

About as notable as being both a junkie and a thief. Some people pick up degrees in order to pursue a particular career path or incidental to learning for learning's sake; others get them in an attempt to cover up or compensate for their stupidity. A lot of the lat group seem to congregate in academia, since there's less chance of being outed there than in the real world.

Ken

Actually I think it is Acadamia and Politicians...[rofl]

I will be the first to acknowledge that his neighbor, if accurately quoted, made a typical but dumb statement.

I have little sympathy for the alleged gun thief, however. If he had no stolen guns, or if he had not admitted to stealing guns, and the police came to his house and seized his firearms and ammunition that is one thing. This is quite another issue. It doesn't matter if the items were guns or hubcaps or metal fixtures. Apparently this guy is a thief, nothing more and nothing less.

Mark L.

Saw this story on WBZ4 earlier tonight. They had all the guns and ammo spread around a couple of tables in the police station garage. Typical reporting with the chief pointing out guns like an "AK-47 and M4 military firearm". Um, you mean an SAR-1 and AR15 which is what he should of said. But then again it wouldn't have the effect of pointing out the military version of these civilian legal models. A lot of C&R looking rifles and a few misc handguns. Nothing that looked extravagent.

Oh and the neighbor, she looked about 100 years old. She probably had no clue what the hell was going on.

Saw this story on WBZ4 earlier tonight. They had all the guns and ammo spread around a couple of tables in the police station garage.

YES! They had the firearms spread! Let me be the first to step up and offer to buy some of those back from the West Boylston Police, so that lawful citizens can exercise their Second Amendment rights.

Just like the wheel of fortune, throw my mug in a PIP at the right corner of the T.V. screen with the spread, panning around...

I'll take the M4.....the AK-47 knock off.....yea the 10,000 rounds...

Cross-X or Scrivener, are either of you representing him? Would you if he came with big bags of cash? Think you could get him his guns an LTC back?

Cross-X or Scrivener, are either of you representing him? Would you if he came with big bags of cash? Think you could get him his guns an LTC back?

I would much rather see those guns fall into the hands of a lawful citizen who is NOT a kleptomaniac.

I would be MORE than happy to make a donation to the BPD to take good care of the guns that will not be going back to their lawful owners.

[smile]

Aside from the guns that he stole, shouldn't he be able to give the rest of the guns to someone with a valid LTC? As these seem to only be confriscated under the circumstances of his LTC being revoked and not because they were obtained illegally?

Makes me want to check a couple of guns I got from Wayne. I like Wayne, he's a good guy. Too bad this guy took advantage of him.

He was stealing guns from an FFL, his supposed friend and employer. He is a scumbag. I think even the lawyers know that. [hmmm]

which he allowed police to search after they interviewed him and he admitted stealing them.

They probably would have been able to develop enough eventually to get a warrant anyway -- and it seems that he should be stopped.

But... how could he not have gotten the lesson to STFU !

People don't always, and maybe more frequently, do all manner of things for reasons that have nothing to do with acquistion. WE are our most interesting and complex entity.

The Worcester Telegram & Gazette reports on the arrest and thefts.

Guns found, man arrested
Police find stolen pair, 95 others
http://www.telegram.com/article/20081004/NEWS/810040463/1101
I read this sentence in the article:
According to Chief Minnich, there are no limits to the number of firearms an individual may possess, but a person who sells more than 12 in a year is considered a dealer.
Not that I've reached the point of selling even 1 gun, let alone 12 in one year; but, is this true? If so is it federal, state, and/or local law?

Last edited:
According to Chief Minnich, there are no limits to the number of firearms an individual may possess, but a person who sells more than 12 in a year is considered a dealer.

There is no such regulation. MA law allows 4 private sales per year. Any others have to go through an FFL, but you could sell 100 a year through a dealer.

I read this sentence in the article:
Not that I've reached the point of selling even 1 gun, let alone 12 in one year; but, is this true? If so is it federal, state, and/or local law?

To be a dealer, you have to have a dealer's license... FFL01. What an idiotic article.

“There were also safety issues with ammunitions being stored near weapons and fire hazards in the garage where the ammunitions were kept,” the chief added.

I especially liked the plural "ammunitions". It's intriguing to try to figure out whether the chief could be so wrong, or the reporter was the clueless one who decided to "correct" the chief's quote.

No doubt it sounded correct to somebody who has been using the word munitions, and thought, what the heck. Perhaps well see in an other article the singular form "munition".

Should we assume that the "misleading a police officer" charge related to stashed homemade explosives? There were no charges for destructive devices, and newspapers love to report bombs. [loved the recent story about the bomb squad detonating foil wrapped hotdogs at some ball park]

BTW, there's not much sense in lying to the police about non-existing explosives.

Back
Top Bottom