1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. NES Life memberships are now available, click here for details.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Police: Pregnant woman revived with Narcan overdoses again 40 minutes later

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mikeyp, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

I missed this before posting. Bingo.

KBCraig likes this.

2. Evadd

Evadd NES Member

Not sure if it's been said, but she likely didn't overdose again. It's more likely that the Narcan wore off and she just passed back out from the stuff she already took. Narcan only lasts about 15 minutes, whereas most opiates last a lot longer than that. It's well-known in the medical community that you often need to use multiple doses or put the person on a drip.

ETA: yep, just saw a couple others said it as well. That's what I get for only reading the first page. ;)

That being said, she's still an asshat for doing this to her unborn child.

drgrant, crazymjb, KBCraig and 2 others like this.
  3. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

No harm no foul. Agreed.

4. SERE

SERE NES Member

+1

5. fshalor

fshalor NES Member

There was a rather unpopular paper written in I think 1997 which suggested that government subsidy of heroin and making all heroin legal for a 4 year period would save a crazy amount of money and solve the problems.

It also stipulated that a requirement was full ban on any help in the case of od using state/fed funds .

Most of the dealers would dry up in that time. Gang wars would go unfunded. Heaviest abusers would self-correcr by dieing.

4 years later, burn all remaining stock and sunset the subsidy.

The amount saved was staggering. Well in the hundreds of billions.

I'm not sure what percentage of people's issues with this stuff is due to it being illegal. While I'm sad for the situation .(poor kid. If they will even live). I'm more mornful about the dead weight loss to society due to care for people like this. It's not just the narcan cost. It's the ambulance ride. It's the hospital bills which in many cases will get forgiven if they are under 175% FPL.

jpk likes this.
  6. BrianWilson

BrianWilson NES Member

I wonder what the root cause of addiction and alcoholism is. Is it simply a weakness of character on the junkies part, a mental disorder, a physical or chemical imbalance thing, should conviction of illegal sale of certain compounds carry an automatic death sentence ?

I do think the recidivism rate for recovering junkies is huge, and where it seems everybody knows someone who has died or is in the process of dying from drug addiction, I also wonder how much if any resources are being spent on trying to find a "cure", the real cure, the those hopeless souls never even start down that road cure, whatever that might be. Frankly I'm not sure denying narcan would stop anything, people were OD'ing long before it came around, but I definitely get folks objecting to their tax dollars providing it.

Mostly I guess I feel bad for those little babies. Talk about a rough start.

7. RIFLEMAN1000

RIFLEMAN1000

Limit a person to 3 shots of Narcan in thier lifetime. If by the third od you have not figured out you have a problem and must seek help to keep living then time to pull the plug. You wouldn't give a chronic alcoholic 3 liver transplants would you if he kept drinking. 3 strikes and your out .

8. jpk

jpk

I'm all for a safety net to help prevent folks from falling through the cracks but we're waaaay beyond that and fully into taking a huge chunk of each of our labor to prop up a large % of the population.......and in taking such a large % from my paycheck it prevents me from saving for my own future/taking care of me and mine right now.....in doing so it in turn ensures a larger and larger % of the population is dependent on gov later in life.....

9. fencer

fencer NES Member

I think I have a potential solution and there are no politicians that would have the balls to do it.

OD and receive narcan, mandatory 5 days in a cell/ locked room. Withdrawal sucks, but they are clean after 5 days. Need another dose? 15 days. Go for a hat trick? 45 days. Keep tripling the time locked up.
    Everyone addicted wants to quit. But it is hard. I think the mistake we make is that we need to get it out of their system before we kick them to the curb.

10. Palladin

Palladin NES Member

11. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

In NH, the Narcan carried by paramedics, police, and others, is privately funded.

12. Hetzer

Hetzer NES Member

Kim, you know that's a five month old post right and that you could have done a little googling yourself lol?

But for you I'll gladly post a link;
    The Heroin Epidemic of the 1960s

13. rsj

rsj

Remember that scene in the beginning of Blackhawk Down where the warlords are taking control of a crate of air dropped food aid with the mob of people holding out their hands?

14. jpk

jpk

Yea but this is the US not Somalia

15. amm5061

amm5061 NES Member

I'm fine with that. I also believe that it should be a part of a paramedic's standard equipment since it can save lives and that is literally why we have paramedics.

However, when I have to pay $80 for a f***ing IV that they never managed to successfully insert into my arm (thanks a**h***s) after a car accident and the subsequent $2,000 ambulance trip to the hospital which the police and paramedics would not allow me to refuse, the person revived with Narcan should get the $10/dose bill. This solves the problem.

16. Mark from MA

Mark from MA

As it should be in MA. I believe in 3 strikes your out for this type of shxt. And only because I feel doctors pedal this shit for injuries they really shouldn't, and it might get a kid hooked. Other than that I've got no fxcking sympathy for people who make poor decisions, and the politicians and bleeding hearts that enable them to suck the life out of taxpayers for stupid shxt.

Anyone have the total figures that MA spends on Narcan a year? I'd love to know....so I can ask why it's better to spend on Narcan, than spend on school budgets, roads, infrastructure and other things that tax dollar are supposed to pay for.

17. jpk

jpk

Is it truly privately funded or is it like planned parenthood "Privately Funded"?

18. Mark from MA

Mark from MA

If it's the death penalty, they chose it......remember that fact, stop taking personal responsiblility out of the equation.

People that play stupid games should win stupid prizes unless they are willing to pay for their healthcare or are covered by health insurance. If your on the dole, then you win the prize. This creates personal responsibility and limits people on the dole for taking high level risks.

I generally don't do things that are stupid (even though I have insurance) because I know I need to WORK, to pay for my family and myself. I'd list doing any drugs as stupid.

Car accidents are a different story, and people have mandatory insurance. You should be covered for what your policy is for. If you "chose" to have a minimum policy...then that's your problem. I choose to have extra bodily injury and medical up to 1 million.
    If a claim goes over 1 million, I expect I will be getting a bill, not getting bailed out like people on free Narcan.

19. Mark from MA

Mark from MA

Exactly....probably bullshxt and hidden somewhere in some taxpayer funded scheme.

20. drgrant

drgrant Moderator

Another reason why the .gov should pay these broads off to have their equipment permanently disabled.

Matt2109 likes this.
  21. drgrant

drgrant Moderator

The only problem I have with getting rid of Narcan is there are corner cases where some little kid ingests dope somehow and gets f***ed up... so you can't really just let the kid die because of that
    shit.

Also your firehose idea is cute but the H users are everywhere, and they're not just "vagrants floating around in the gutters". H is cheap enough that there are probably tons of semi-functionals floating
    around. (just drive past a methadone clinic some morning, like the one in Fitchburg, you'll see a shitload of cars parked there, it looks like a polling location on election day with higher attendance). People pull
    over in this town and shoot up in parking lots etc. Or on a side street, etc. They're unrepentant. This isn't a social activity like smoking cigarettes outside the building at work here... these people are pure
    nutbag addicts.

IMHO when more drugs were freely available the BS we see with H wasn't nearly as big of a problem. IMHO Prohibition just made the overall drug abuse problem
    worse. if pharma-grade drugs were available for what they actually dont cost would anyone actually use fent etc? nope. Not a chance. It would have never "gone there".

.gov just keeps this circus going for its own justification, theres a multi billion dollar a year "drug war empire building" thing going on, in domestic operations alone. It's not much different from the military industrial
    complex gravy train, except the players are smaller.

-Mike

Choctaw, jpk and Super99Z like this.
  22. Junior314

Junior314 NES Member

Just curious how you track how many times someone has been shot up with Narcan? Used to deal with junkies on a daily basis and very few of them carry any sort of identification.

My vote is for nature to run its course if it costs the taxpayer.

23. rocket500

rocket500 NES Member

You tattoo it on them. Half kidding.

24. MachineHead

MachineHead NES Member

25. weekendracer

weekendracer

I'd like to see the followup on this case, it goes against what I was just trained in relation to fentanyl. Not saying it didn't happen, but if it did our training powerpoint needs an update.

From CDC Page, but it is the govmint, so probably just propaganda:

Potential exposure routes of greatest concern include inhalation, mucous membrane contact, ingestion, and percutaneous exposure (e.g., needlestick). Any of these exposure routes can potentially result in a variety of symptoms that can include the rapid onset of life-threatening respiratory depression. Skin contact is also a potential exposure route, but is not likely to lead to overdose unless large volumes of highly concentrated powder are encountered over an extended period of time. Brief skin contact with fentanyl or its analogues is not expected to lead to toxic effects if any visible contamination is promptly removed.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  26. CrossFaced

CrossFaced NES Member

Are you talking about, are the effects this officer is having due to fetanyl. I would say it’s not fetanyl but possibly CarFetanyl/Carfentanil which is extremely potent. An amount of carfentanil equivalent to 1 sugar pack can kill millions of people.

27. drgrant

drgrant Moderator

millions? no wai... but it is some serious shit. Serious enough that the chinese stopped exporting it.

28. JohnZ

JohnZ

I do too but I'm glad to pay for the baby's narcan.

ETA: I wish there was a way to not give it to the mother and let darwin handle the problem but currently there isn't.

29. CrossFaced

CrossFaced NES Member

It does sound rediculous but that’s what I was told in a class. I guess you can take that with a grain of sugar.

30. weekendracer

weekendracer

The difference is how it's ingested. Skin absorption is fairly low, if you injected it and metabolized it all, yes, it would kill a ton of people. My agency is seizing tons of the stuff, if it were as dangerous as they are making it out to be, you'd be hearing of dozens of federal deaths a week. It's nasty stuff, no doubt, but just like guns, too much fear isn't good either.