Police Opinion on New Gun Laws

I'd love to do that, but I'd very likely be fired the very next morning.

.....you either believe in it or you don't. [angry]

And if the public got behind you, do you really think CoP would be able to keep you off the force for long? Isn't that what your union is paid to do...protect your job?

Goddam right I'd back you up if you stood up and voiced your displeasure to all this jack-ass-ery. You'd have thousands behind you. Becasue, like folks have been saying, one uniformed LEO is worth several dozen of us in the public forum....if not hundreds of us. Your voice sways the sheep, in both directions.

Last edited:
Thanks for the perspective

Hello all, this is my first post on the forum, although I have been reading it for the past several years. With the recent events happening I felt compelled to give an opinion. I am a career police officer in a mid sized community in the greater Boston area, and have been so for 26 years. I belive my experience gives me some insight into crime and criminal behavior. I am also a gun owner, avid target shooter, trap shooter, and hunter (bow and gun). I lawfully own several of the guns the Commonwealth has deemed "evil".
In recent days I have had numerous conversations with literally dozens of fellow police officers from all over the state, and we all agree on one thing: None of the proposed legislation recently filed will have any effect on crime or criminals. It will only punish and hinder lawful gun owners. Anyone who believes otherwise is detached from reality. I would like to convey to the others on this forum that most police officers are not in favor of burdensome regulations that serve no purpose other than to criminalize otherwise lawful citizens. Really, most street officers and line supervisors get it: the lawful gun owner is not the enemy. I am not concerned that someone who goes through the Commonwealth's licensing process is going to use their gun to commit a crime. It just doesnt happen that way. People who commit crimes with guns do not worry about licenses, magazine capacity, pre ban, post ban whatever. They don't care. That's why they are criminals. We realize that the lawful gun owner is our friend, family member, neighbor etc. They are members of the community we serve, and they should not be demonized for excercising a Constitutional right.
I would echo what others have posted and urge you to call your elected officials and voice your opinion on these recent legistlative proposals which will be disasterous to all lawful gun owners. This is my personal opinion only. Thank you.

And many thanks to you. I and probably a lot of other folks appreciate the perspective. And it pretty much lines up with what I thought when I read the proposal - it goes after law abiding gun owners and ignores criminals.

.....you either believe in it or you don't. [angry]

And if the public got behind you, do you really think CoP would be able to keep you off the force for long?
My boss is Janet Napolitano. I think I'd be f***ed no matter what the public did. What do you think?

Isn't that what your union is paid to do...protect your job?
I'm not in the union. I'm against unions.

Goddam right I'd back you up if you stood up and voiced your displeasure to all this jack-ass-ery. You'd have thousands behind you. Becasue, like folks have been saying, one uniformed LEO is worth several dozen of us in the public forum....if not hundreds of us. Your voice sways the sheep, in both directions.
I truly appreciate the support. But if I appeared in uniform it would happen exactly once. After that I'd be some ex-federal agent that was fired for a blatant violation of agency policy, and that's how much credibility I'd have. How useful is such a person in swaying the sheep?

Thanks for your post. I understand that you must tread lightly with your comments, and thank you for expressing them. Hopefully people that have read this will be inspired to begin writing, emailing, and calling our politicians.

This flurry of legislation is designed to ban guns without actually banning guns, and will affect the wrong people, the lawful gun owner. Time for us to raise up up our voice in the conversation.

Many towns are "green" not because they are Pro 2A they are green because someone has decided its the path of least resistance for issuing licenses. There's a big difference between the two.

I'll give you a fun example... how many "Green" ALP/None towns still require reference letters for first time applicants, despite the fact that this isn't really even in the law? There are a metric ton of these. -Mike

NOT MINE!
Barre, MA

Chief Demetropoulos does NOT require letter of references. He trusts his towns people! Thats why I would vote him in again as my Chief!

Do you currently enforce the 1998 gun control laws? Then how will these new laws be any different? They will be enforced just the same.

I do appreciate your post and welcome any LEO who feels the way you do, but at the end of the day you will do your job and enforce unconstitutional crap and arrest citizens for owning a piece of plastic and metal.

This. Every single government employee,cop,politician who holds up his/her right hand and swears to uphold the US Constitution and then enacts or enforces any law that is contrary to that oath is a lier. If your word cannot be trusted you cannot be trusted. It is easy to go along to get along. It is much harder to stand up for your beliefs. Talk is cheap. I see no hero's here, sorry guys.

NOT MINE!
Barre, MA

Chief Demetropoulos does NOT require letter of references. He trusts his towns people! Thats why I would vote him in again as my Chief!

In that case, please ask him to talk to as many reps as he can AND have him call Patrick's office and identify himself and state his opposition to the bills.

438's opinion is not unique among police - it's widespread, and far more ingrained that the general population. We are residents too, and make our voices heard. Remember that the police are not your enemy - we are citizens first. I sent the following to our dearest governor, in addition to the follow up calls to all the reps I could ...

Governor;

Rather than engage in a one-way speech of facts on how your proposed anti-gun legislation will do nothing to protect citizens or police, let me simply say - no.
As a police officer, as a father, as a law abiding Massachusetts citizen - stop. I do not agree and insist that you follow the letter and spirit of the U.S. and MA Constitutions. As your constituent, I demand that you drop this legislation now.

Respectfully,

438's opinion is not unique among police - it's widespread, and far more ingrained that the general population. We are residents too, and make our voices heard. Remember that the police are not your enemy - we are citizens first. I sent the following to our dearest governor, in addition to the follow up calls to all the reps I could ...

Governor;

Rather than engage in a one-way speech of facts on how your proposed anti-gun legislation will do nothing to protect citizens or police, let me simply say - no.
As a police officer, as a father, as a law abiding Massachusetts citizen - stop. I do not agree and insist that you follow the letter and spirit of the U.S. and MA Constitutions. As your constituent, I demand that you drop this legislation now.

Respectfully,

Nice Job Crush, hopefully you can get others on-board as well.

Read the first page and just skipped...so forgive anything I'm repeating.

As a fellow officer I agree completely with you, 438. I've written my local and state legislators...even a couple that don't represent me that I knew needed to hear it. Next step this week is to call and make sure I get their verbal attention.

As stated earlier, the union will have nothing of it. Being on the executive board for my local union, I've brought this up and was shot down. So, instead I've been able to get about 40 fellow officers to get off their ass and start writing. A good few of them wanted to because there wasn't a 'Police Exemption for private arms'. I conveyed that this wasn't the point, that being the thought process was counter-productive and would only harbor resentment from non-LEOs who previously met the letter of the law without issue. Hopefully the message will be heard.

I've already voiced my opinion to my superiors that I won't be enforcing any unlawful command given by the governor. And I know what some of you will say about the existing AWB ban and I can say I haven't enforced that one yet either. If you're licensed to own a firearm, you should own whatever damn magazine you want. A 30rnd mag just means you can effectively shoot all five attackers w/o reloading. No one IIRC has been shanked with a mounted bayonet in decades. A flash suppressor only saves your eye sight at night. A pistol grip isn't menacing. A semi-automatic firearm that is mag fed only shows it's designers desire for efficiency. An adj buttstock only assists the short and those wearing thick clothing or armor, if it folds it purely aids in transportation in places where it would otherwise be too long, like a Fiat.

Keep fighting...I stand with you.

Governor;

Respectfully,

Thank you Crush

As a fellow officer I agree completely with you, 438. I've written my local and state legislators...even a couple that don't represent me that I knew needed to hear it. Next step this week is to call and make sure I get their verbal attention.

As stated earlier, the union will have nothing of it. Being on the executive board for my local union, I've brought this up and was shot down. So, instead I've been able to get about 40 fellow officers to get off their ass and start writing. A good few of them wanted to because there wasn't a 'Police Exemption for private arms'. I conveyed that this wasn't the point, that being the thought process was counter-productive and would only harbor resentment from non-LEOs who previously met the letter of the law without issue. Hopefully the message will be heard.

I've already voiced my opinion to my superiors that I won't be enforcing any unlawful command given by the governor. And I know what some of you will say about the existing AWB ban and I can say I haven't enforced that one yet either. If you're licensed to own a firearm, you should own whatever damn magazine you want. A 30rnd mag just means you can effectively shoot all five attackers w/o reloading. No one IIRC has been shanked with a mounted bayonet in decades. A flash suppressor only saves your eye sight at night. A pistol grip isn't menacing. A semi-automatic firearm that is mag fed only shows it's designers desire for efficiency. An adj buttstock only assists the short and those wearing thick clothing or armor, if it folds it purely aids in transportation in places where it would otherwise be too long, like a Fiat.

What if all LEO's banded together , couldn't they bust the unions?Anyone I've ever talked to who work for unions, at least in the private sector hate being in them, or at least they say they hate them. What do unions do for you really? LEO's are a neccesity in our society and it would seem to me that you guys could write your own paychecks.

I love it! This almost breaks down the aw features too simply. If these idiots on beacon hill hear that they will think they didn't do enough. Here they were thinking they were heros saving us from our own demise and you dashed their dreams in seconds. Regardless it's good stuff right there.

Governor;

Respectfully,

1233928590_citizen%20kane%20clapping.gif

- - - Updated - - -

1233928590_citizen%20kane%20clapping.gif

Hello all, this is my first post on the forum, although I have been reading it for the past several years. With the recent events happening I felt compelled to give an opinion. I am a career police officer in a mid sized community in the greater Boston area, and have been so for 26 years. I belive my experience gives me some insight into crime and criminal behavior. I am also a gun owner, avid target shooter, trap shooter, and hunter (bow and gun). I lawfully own several of the guns the Commonwealth has deemed "evil".
In recent days I have had numerous conversations with literally dozens of fellow police officers from all over the state, and we all agree on one thing: None of the proposed legislation recently filed will have any effect on crime or criminals. It will only punish and hinder lawful gun owners. Anyone who believes otherwise is detached from reality. I would like to convey to the others on this forum that most police officers are not in favor of burdensome regulations that serve no purpose other than to criminalize otherwise lawful citizens. Really, most street officers and line supervisors get it: the lawful gun owner is not the enemy. I am not concerned that someone who goes through the Commonwealth's licensing process is going to use their gun to commit a crime. It just doesnt happen that way. People who commit crimes with guns do not worry about licenses, magazine capacity, pre ban, post ban whatever. They don't care. That's why they are criminals. We realize that the lawful gun owner is our friend, family member, neighbor etc. They are members of the community we serve, and they should not be demonized for excercising a Constitutional right.
I would echo what others have posted and urge you to call your elected officials and voice your opinion on these recent legistlative proposals which will be disasterous to all lawful gun owners. This is my personal opinion only. Thank you.

Thank you officer for sharing your opinion! It's really good to know that many police officers feel this way.
However, your anonymity implies that not all your superiors share this point of view :-(.

An interesting response to the officers letter, from a former selectman. I'm betting the officer gets fired.
Letter: No picking or choosing | The Recorder

As much as I agree with the original posting officer, I wouldn't jeopardize my career by making a public statement with my name and department attached. What we as police officers are saying in regards to blatant disregard for a law, albeit the right and just thing to do in this case, contradicts what many say is our job. Yes, our job is to uphold the law as written and it's the court's job to assign guilt.

But, as almost 90% of MGL is written...we as officers have discretion as to how to approach a broken law. Just as I can give a Ch90 offender a verbal warning, written warning, written citation or in some cases make an arrest or issue a criminal complaint...there are options. Hell, (not that this ever happens but) if you read the statute for Murder there's nothing stating you MUST arrest (there's actually nothing stating arrest at all...they must have figured it was common sense).

Anyways...if a retired 68yo with nothing to do that lives at 92 Main St in Charlemont with a home phone number of (413) 337-4224 (all sourced by the internet) wants to make a personal attack against a police officer trying to do the right thing, I hope all the police officers of Charlemont exercise their discretion fully when dealing with Mr. Gariepy.

I've read the original post and a few replies. I respect and agree with your sentiment.

My question to you and your fellow officers is: Will you abide by your sworn oath of office (required to be taken by EVERY MEMBER of the executive branch of government under which you fall as a police officer) and NOT obey any order to enforce ANY unconstitutional laws?

No matter what the cost to you, if you cannot answer in the affirmative, your words ring as hollow as the bogus laws being foisted upon the public by politicians with a far reaching agenda.

For decades I have watched the incrementalism creep one step at a time, month after month, year after year, decade after decade and there is rarely if ever any voices heard from those in uniform who, when/if push comes to shove and things go completely down hill, will be among the first casualties of a citizen revolt against governmental oppression.

If you and your fellow officers will not stand up in public and on record, united, determined and unmoveable AGAINST any further errosion of your and our rights then you are simply hiding behind the veil of security of your badge and office that is usually presented to you via the usual exemptions in almost every gun law that has ever been passed in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Our founders sacrificed everything they had, many including their lives to bring about the greatest nation on this planet in all recorded history, with the hopes that future generations would maintain it at least to the degree they left it and improve on it if and when necessary.
Know this : At some point in time you will be FORCED to make the decision under far less than optimal conditions, probably with your life hanging in the balance(not to be construed as any threat) so I thgink it would far wiser to make the decision now, make it known and stick by it before future perilous times arrive.

Respectfully,

While I see and understand where Steelhorse is coming from, we need more people to be brave and take a stand like 438 has done. It is difficult to do at first, but these are where the breakthroughs will occur, and where the police will earn back mutual respect from the citizenry. What we also need is some way to penetrate the chiefs, and the mayors. I think this needs to come from GOAL. They need to hold workshops for the chiefs, and educate them. They need to rent table space at the mayor's conferences, city and town manager conferences, and the chief's conferences. They need to actively promote the Second Amendment and hold their own press conferences at the Statehouse and elsewhere. It is time to get active. It is time 2 A. time2A...

Hey, THERE'S AN IDEA:

It's Time 2A

*bump*

I just wanted to bring this one up again. 438 and the other officers, have you guys had a chance to call the reps? Any encouraging news?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom