Police Opinion on New Gun Laws

Hello all, this is my first post on the forum, although I have been reading it for the past several years. With the recent events happening I felt compelled to give an opinion. I am a career police officer in a mid sized community in the greater Boston area, and have been so for 26 years. I belive my experience gives me some insight into crime and criminal behavior. I am also a gun owner, avid target shooter, trap shooter, and hunter (bow and gun). I lawfully own several of the guns the Commonwealth has deemed "evil".
In recent days I have had numerous conversations with literally dozens of fellow police officers from all over the state, and we all agree on one thing: None of the proposed legislation recently filed will have any effect on crime or criminals. It will only punish and hinder lawful gun owners. Anyone who believes otherwise is detached from reality. I would like to convey to the others on this forum that most police officers are not in favor of burdensome regulations that serve no purpose other than to criminalize otherwise lawful citizens. Really, most street officers and line supervisors get it: the lawful gun owner is not the enemy. I am not concerned that someone who goes through the Commonwealth's licensing process is going to use their gun to commit a crime. It just doesnt happen that way. People who commit crimes with guns do not worry about licenses, magazine capacity, pre ban, post ban whatever. They don't care. That's why they are criminals. We realize that the lawful gun owner is our friend, family member, neighbor etc. They are members of the community we serve, and they should not be demonized for excercising a Constitutional right.
I would echo what others have posted and urge you to call your elected officials and voice your opinion on these recent legistlative proposals which will be disasterous to all lawful gun owners. This is my personal opinion only. Thank you.

Make this public. As someone with 26 years on the force your voice matters if you can get it out there. While we certainly appreciate your input here, you are preaching the the choir!

Mike

If the police union in this state would come out for 2A rights, and stand up to the Linksys and their proposed legislation, it would do nothing but good for the legally-licensed gunowners of the Commonwealth.

So let's see it.

Great post man. Please exercise your opinions with as many of our legislators that you can. It will mean alot and go along way coming from such a seasoned LEO as yourself. Thanks again.

Much to my dismay our "unions" are typical "lock step with the Democrats" and many times do not reflect the views of the average officer. We are in a sort of tough bind: We are blue collar union workers, what would have been a typical Democratic base, but we are for the most part socially conservative in opinion, typical Republican base. Sort of an identity crisis !

If the police union in this state would come out for 2A rights, and stand up to the Linksys and their proposed legislation, it would do nothing but good for the legally-licensed gunowners of the Commonwealth.

So let's see it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!
That is a great idea

First thanks for your service and for speaking up here.

I’d like to echo what’s been said already. You have a voice that speaks louder than 20 of us serfs put together. We’ll keep hounding our reps but I’d ask that you let as many of the elected class know how you and your friends feel on this topic and do it as publicly as possible.

Last edited:
Best first post ever.

completely agreed!!!

Thank you for sharing the good news in a time when things look dim. It's great to hear. Hearing and seeing the point of view of PO's, may help some of the detached see reality. Please do all you can to make your sentiments visible to as many as possible, however possible.

Thank you for posting!!

Much to my dismay our "unions" are typical "lock step with the Democrats" and many times do not reflect the views of the average officer. We are in a sort of tough bind: We are blue collar union workers, what would have been a typical Democratic base, but we are for the most part socially conservative in opinion, typical Republican base. Sort of an identity crisis !

Great post. You can still contact our legislators and tell them personally what you posted. That is really the most concise argument against these new gun control bills - that they will do nothing to prevent crime.

To bad you couldn't get a group of like minded officers to stand up and be heard. Your voice would go a LONG way towards helping the cause, especially if you all stood up as a united front and gave that speech to our legislature.

Good first (and second) post. Please contact your reps and senators, your opinion will carry a lot of weight. Also send Linsky a note, he needs to hear this first hand.

Thanks for your service.

Hello all, this is my first post on the forum, although I have been reading it for the past several years. With the recent events happening I felt compelled to give an opinion. I am a career police officer in a mid sized community in the greater Boston area, and have been so for 26 years. I belive my experience gives me some insight into crime and criminal behavior. I am also a gun owner, avid target shooter, trap shooter, and hunter (bow and gun). I lawfully own several of the guns the Commonwealth has deemed "evil".
In recent days I have had numerous conversations with literally dozens of fellow police officers from all over the state, and we all agree on one thing: None of the proposed legislation recently filed will have any effect on crime or criminals. It will only punish and hinder lawful gun owners. Anyone who believes otherwise is detached from reality. I would like to convey to the others on this forum that most police officers are not in favor of burdensome regulations that serve no purpose other than to criminalize otherwise lawful citizens. Really, most street officers and line supervisors get it: the lawful gun owner is not the enemy. I am not concerned that someone who goes through the Commonwealth's licensing process is going to use their gun to commit a crime. It just doesnt happen that way. People who commit crimes with guns do not worry about licenses, magazine capacity, pre ban, post ban whatever. They don't care. That's why they are criminals. We realize that the lawful gun owner is our friend, family member, neighbor etc. They are members of the community we serve, and they should not be demonized for excercising a Constitutional right.
I would echo what others have posted and urge you to call your elected officials and voice your opinion on these recent legistlative proposals which will be disasterous to all lawful gun owners. This is my personal opinion only. Thank you.

your words carry a significant amount of weight in the eyes of our legislators. I hope you and your colleagues have been writing and calling them.

That post delivered.

1233928590_citizen%20kane%20clapping.gif

I've heard from a few other officers who've said similar things. Yes, it would be great if the police union fought these latest attacks. However, please band together with other, like minded officers and come out against these bills. "MA Police for Gun Rights" or some organization would certainly get notice from legislators and carry weight.

Regardless, thanks for your post. It helps.

I must say I am overwhelmed with the quick and positive responses to my first post. I think I have found a home here ! I have called both my State Senator, and my State Representative and voiced my opinion to their staff. I found both call takers to be very professional and sympathetic. Both stated that have received many calls against the legislation. My State Rep's secretary asked right away if I was "mad about guns or taxes" I said "both, but we will focus on guns for today". I truly believe that there is enough collective sanity left in the Massachusetts House and Senate that they will not pass any of this ridiculousness as long as we voice our opinions as voters, taxpayers and law abiding citizens.

Best first post ever1.
THIS

In 1976 there was a ballot question in MA that would have made private possession of handguns illegal. It was sponsored and promoted by the Boston Police Commissioner and the Middlesex County Sheriff. It failed by a surprisingly large margin and was strongly opposed by the Boston Police Patrolmen's Association - a fact that utterly confounded the initiative's sponsors.

In reaction, the Boston Police Commissioner commissioned a nationwide study of the attitudes of law enforcements members towards the Second Amendment. He got another wake-up call.

THIS

In 1976 there was a ballot question in MA that would have made private possession of handguns illegal. It was sponsored and promoted by the Boston Police Commissioner and the Middlesex County Sheriff. It failed by a surprisingly large margin and was strongly opposed by the Boston Police Patrolmen's Association - a fact that utterly confounded the initiative's sponsors.

In reaction, the Boston Police Commissioner commissioned a nationwide study of the attitudes of law enforcements members towards the Second Amendment. He got another wake-up call.

Any chance of getting the Patrolmen's Association on our side again?

Back
Top Bottom