Police officer was justified in shooting unarmed, naked man, 37, who was charging toward him before being killed, New Hampshire Attorney General says

Reptile

NES Member
  • Thornton Police Department Officer Matthew Yao acted within the law when he fatally shot 37-year-old Ethan Freeman
  • The owner of Freeman's apartment called 911 while Freeman was bleeding and claiming to feel chest pain
  • Yao encountered a naked, bloody and irrational Freeman holding a broken piece of furniture in the apartment while treatening to kill the officer
  • Officials say the body camera footage agreed with Yao's version of the encounter and was critical in the case ruling
A police officer in New Hampshire who shot and killed a naked, bloody man who was charging toward him was justified in doing so, the state Attorney General's office said.

Thornton Police Department Officer Matthew Yao acted within the law when he fatally shot 37-year-old Ethan Freeman in October 2020, Deputy New Hampshire Attorney General Jane E. Young said in a report detailing the decision.

Freeman had threatened to kill Yao, the AG's office said. 'Moreover, Mr. Freeman had both the opportunity and ability to carry out those death threats,' it said.

We need to seriously consider bringing back the insane asylums.
100% agreed. They had it right back in the day, now these whack jobs are all thrown into our prisons and they are a major pain in the ass. They waste money paying councilors to feed them meds and talk to them and none of it ever helps, it’s a joke.

How does a man with no weapon or even clothes have either the opportunity OR ability to kill someone with OC....a baton....taser...gun...a car to hide in for backup....cover ..? Plz explain so I can look through every case where a citizen has shot someone in the same situation and got sued or charged.

I guess this comes down to “perceived deadly threat” again. I don’t see the “deadly” threat, but I do see a malnourished guy who I can easily subdue and detain.

How does a man with no weapon or even clothes have either the opportunity OR ability to kill someone with OC....a baton....taser...gun...a car to hide in for backup....cover ..? Plz explain so I can look through every case where a citizen has shot someone in the same situation and got sued or charged.
My friend is a cop, he had to restrain a a 100 lb naked woman who was high on something on a rooftop in NYC. He's not an MMA figher, but he has some skills with military and police training.
She gave him trouble and sent him to the hosipital with bites and scratches. Luckily her blood tests came up clean. He was sweatin that he got HIV from the bites.
Don't underestimate a crazy person, especially when naked and on drugs.
Funny we only hear about the shootings, he told me that scenario would play out daily in NY. Some of the stories he told me I'm surprised how much restraint they do have.

Did anyone read past the headlines?
  • Yao encountered a naked, bloody and irrational Freeman holding a broken piece of furniture in the apartment while treatening to kill the officer
  • Officials say the body camera footage agreed with Yao's version of the encounter and was critical in the case ruling
The guy was armed - shoot was good.
Crazy, naked and threatening an armed person with a bludgeoning weapon - Son, you gonna meet Jesus

We need to seriously consider bringing back the insane asylums.
no shit.
the people, in the past, who were locked up there....are now just called "the homeless".

they are not just homeless, they are CRAZY and choose to be homeless. Building shelters and low income housing for them is not going to work, they PREFER to be homeless.

Doctor Drew has a long set of videos on the problem

I guess this comes down to “perceived deadly threat” again. I don’t see the “deadly” threat, but I do see a malnourished guy who I can easily subdue and detain.
Since we always point, counter point/Argue/Banter over our views on LE I will keep it going with this, do we know if said cop could easily subdue a guy who we have no idea what his capabilities are since he may be psychotic or on drugs which increase strength and pain tolerance? I think the cop was by himself, if that’s the case and he loses the wrestling match his weapons could be taken and used on him, did we know if he did or did not have a piece of broken glass in his hand? I thought I heard broken glass? Just throwing this out there, in this situation I’m not accusing you of being wrong just giving you a different perspective

The report on the DOJ page which is linked in the OP's article does a good job of explaining the situation, previous encounters with the dead crazy guy, and the reasons for using deadly force.

It is a good shoot. The crazy guy was 10' away from the lone officer on scene before he was shot. No time to transition to any type of less lethal, and nobody wants to go hands on with a Hep C infected, shit & blood covered, cut up naked crazy guy.

The report on the DOJ page which is linked in the OP's article does a good job of explaining the situation, previous encounters with the dead crazy guy, and the reasons for using deadly force.

It is a good shoot. The crazy guy was 10' away from the loan officer on scene before he was shot. No time to transition to any type of less lethal, and nobody wants to go hands on with a Hep C infected, shit & blood covered, cut up naked crazy guy.
should have sent in the Volunteer Citizen Mediator the left is screaming to install across the land.

;)

There were many earlier events that day. 1) the elementary school 2) the hospital 3) the home

One of the above links should get you there.

At one point, the Officer asks "when was the last time you slept?" to which he replied, "Not for four days". That alone would put any one in a very bad position.

Last edited:
no shit.
the people, in the past, who were locked up there....are now just called "the homeless".

they are not just homeless, they are CRAZY and choose to be homeless. Building shelters and low income housing for them is not going to work, they PREFER to be homeless.

Doctor Drew has a long set of videos on the problem
When I lived in socal, one of the hospitals got in trouble, they were dumping mental patients who were discharged in skid row in LA. Skid row was shitty then ~20 years ago.
Same area now, almost every corner/street, way worse. Back then there were only a couple areas, and alot of people wandering:
1616070734600.png
1616070826783.png
Second Picture back in 2007:
1616070942159.png
For fun, check out 6th street, San Pedro, Croker, San Julian in LA.

100% agreed. They had it right back in the day, now these whack jobs are all thrown into our prisons and they are a major pain in the ass. They waste money paying councilors to feed them meds and talk to them and none of it ever helps, it’s a joke.
They did not have it right back in the day lol. Not even remotely. Wrapping someone's arms in a straight jacket throwing them in a padded room for 24 hours a day with no bathroom is a horrible way to treat someone. The only thing it did was keep the problem out of sight out of mind for the normals.

F*** any state run detention center especially ones that can house you against your will.

Did anyone read past the headlines?
The guy was armed - shoot was good.
Crazy, naked and threatening an armed person with a bludgeoning weapon - Son, you gonna meet Jesus
I didn't watch because dude covered in blood charging was enough for me to call it good. Was he really armed too?

They did not have it right back in the day lol. Not even remotely. Wrapping someone's arms in a straight jacket throwing them in a padded room for 24 hours a day with no bathroom is a horrible way to treat someone. The only thing it did was keep the problem out of sight out of mind for the normals.

F*** any state run detention center especially ones that can house you against your will.
I should have been more clear, obviously the treatment was wrong and barbaric what I was referring to is that there were places to house these people rather than put them in homes in residential areas.

I didn't watch because dude covered in blood charging was enough for me to call it good. Was he really armed too?
Watched the video - the officer went way the hell out of the way to help this guy before taking the shot.
The only way to have avoided the shot would have been to turn tail and run away

Who killed the guy - the person who released him from the hospital and the politician that didn't fund a place where he could safely live and get the help he needed. Social contract my ass - I agree that we need to pay taxes to support essential services. Obama phones and free needles aren't essential but giving people who simply can't take care of themselves safe housing and care definitely is.

Might be too early but some of the guy's comments are absolutely hilarious in the leadup.

Because it was done wrong in the past is not a reason to do nothing today.

My friend is a cop, he had to restrain a a 100 lb naked woman who was high on something on a rooftop in NYC. He's not an MMA figher, but he has some skills with military and police training.
She gave him trouble and sent him to the hosipital with bites and scratches. Luckily her blood tests came up clean. He was sweatin that he got HIV from the bites.
Don't underestimate a crazy person, especially when naked and on drugs.
Funny we only hear about the shootings, he told me that scenario would play out daily in NY. Some of the stories he told me I'm surprised how much restraint they do have.
This is why they need to bring back the billy club. Solves a lot of issues without having to shoot.

Back
Top Bottom