• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Police officer sues Sig Sauer alleging weapon fired by itself

Reptile

NES Member
TAMPA, Florida — A veteran Tampa police officer has filed a lawsuit against firearms manufacturer Sig Sauer. Bob Northrop has 49 years of law enforcement experience. He served 30 years with the Tampa Police Department and the last 19 years as a reserve officer according to WFTS.

He alleges his service weapon, a Sig Sauer P320 handgun, fired by itself, seriously injuring him.

On February 27, 2020, Northrop was working an extra job at the high school baseball and softball games and was just a few feet away from students when he brushed his service belt to try to attach a set of keys. He alleges that his department-issued gun fired by itself while holstered.

The bullet blew apart bones in his leg and ankle, leading to surgery and screws, rods and rehab.

“It resembles many, many other prior incidents that have happened across the country,” said Attorney Nick Gurney, who is part of the legal team representing Northrop in his lawsuit.

WFTS reports thatthere have been dozens of other reported incidents in the past five years with that model handgun firing without anyone pulling the trigger.

Continues...

What a wuss!
He should just suck it up!
I knew a former small town NH police chief that shot himself in the leg while holstering a 10mm Delta Elite!
It put him in a wheelchair for over a year, and ended his career.
But he didn't sue anybody over it, not Colt or the gunsmith that did his trigger job.

What a wuss!
He should just suck it up!
I knew a former small town NH police chief that shot himself in the leg while holstering a 10mm Delta Elite!
It put him in a wheelchair for over a year, and ended his career.
But he didn't sue anybody over it, not Colt or the gunsmith that did his trigger job.
Lol except that when you look.in the appendix of these P320 lawsuits there are a lot of other incidents involving seemingly unmodified guns....this isn't a "one trick pony".

It doesn't help matters much though that some of these lawsuits are clear ambulance chaser jobs. There's also no real way to tell between pre and post recall guns in most of them, either.

How come it's only cops that have these Magic Edition P320s?
One of the more recent ones involved some guy from NH that was out walking his dog, came home and had an AD/ND? Supposedly was using holster that came with gun, too. Reading between the lines on that one, that smells like an ambulance chaser job, though.

TAMPA, Florida — A veteran Tampa police officer has filed a lawsuit against firearms manufacturer Sig Sauer. Bob Northrop has 49 years of law enforcement experience. He served 30 years with the Tampa Police Department and the last 19 years as a reserve officer according to WFTS.

He alleges his service weapon, a Sig Sauer P320 handgun, fired by itself, seriously injuring him.

On February 27, 2020, Northrop was working an extra job at the high school baseball and softball games and was just a few feet away from students when he brushed his service belt to try to attach a set of keys. He alleges that his department-issued gun fired by itself while holstered.

The bullet blew apart bones in his leg and ankle, leading to surgery and screws, rods and rehab.

“It resembles many, many other prior incidents that have happened across the country,” said Attorney Nick Gurney, who is part of the legal team representing Northrop in his lawsuit.

WFTS reports thatthere have been dozens of other reported incidents in the past five years with that model handgun firing without anyone pulling the trigger.

Continues...

Impossible! How can this be? I thought only Glocks could fire by themselves.

The more I hear about these "incidents", the more I will CCW DAO. Jack.

Given that most striker fired guns don't have this problem, absent outright negligence? Protip: it pays to understand (mechanically) how ones gun works before carrying it. I agree in the sense that one should only carry something they're comfortable with, though.

One of the more recent ones involved some guy from NH that was out walking his dog, came home and had an AD/ND? Supposedly was using holster that came with gun, too. Reading between the lines on that one, that smells like an ambulance chaser job, though.

We own a bunch of these. The holster they come with doesn’t fit all models depending on the sites it comes with It takes a little rat tail file to hollow it out. All in all it’s a shitty set up so that’s why people are having these accidental discharges. I also wanna say to that if you were to point it at somebody and take the safety off You’d shoot them un intentionally…/

But if you’re already pointed gun at somebody and taking the safety off maybe it’s just a “feature”

Issued P320 means FS P320 and duty holster. Those duty holsters stick out and if a gun went off it does not seem like it would hit his leg or ankle. Probably messing with it and this makes a good excuse.

Issued P320 means FS P320 and duty holster. Those duty holsters stick out and if a gun went off it does not seem like it would hit his leg or ankle. Probably messing with it and this makes a good excuse.

Without seeing the guy and the rig hes using thats a serious jump to conclusions mat. I literally saw a lard-laden LEO on a detail with a holster where the muzzle of his holstered pistol was literally pointing at the guy's thigh.

Also in one of these P320 ND/AD incidents, there are two cops in a car just sitting. One of these guys guns just fires itself in the holster, no injuries because it just fired into the floor. The first thing the guy said to the other cop is "you just saw that, right? I didn't even touch it and it fired". There's supposedly dash/bodycam video of that incident, too, but i can't find it.

Sig has admitted in its voluntary recall campaign that the gun can fire from vibration........sounds like a very bad design flaw. Lot more lawsuits to come in the future.
The scary thing is: only 20% of P320 owners returned their guns for the voluntary recall service campaign as they call it. ....so 80% are still out there .
Even worse: some of the P320's that discharged actually had the repair job completed and still failed. The whole thing makes my head spin.
[shocked]

dude, there are a dozen threads on this gun firing by itself
Yeah, well, the gun obviously started those threads by itself, too.

Last count I heard there were 28 incidents of the gun discharging without pulling the trigger.

Some of the reports I’ve read basically my gut reaction is…. smells like bullshit, eg, somebody is ambulance chasing then on the other hand there are other incidents that don’t really fit that kind of mold not to mention there are usually witnesses….

SIG Sauer “issued a press release stating that the P320 could fire without a trigger pull under certain conditions, including vibration, but “reaffirmed” the safety of the P320 to all end users.”
Vibration.........damn That gun should be taken off the market. Only way it should fire is trigger pull period. Sig 's going to pay big time !

SIG Sauer “issued a press release stating that the P320 could fire without a trigger pull under certain conditions, including vibration, but “reaffirmed” the safety of the P320 to all end users.”
Vibration.........damn That gun should be taken off the market. Only way it should fire is trigger pull period. Sig 's going to pay big time !
Meh these things have been dragging on for years I don't really think things are going to go much of anywhere. I am betting two things they're probably just going to have some big settlement and probably yet another recall LMAO.... do not be surprised if the P320 ends up with a trigger inertia safety much like a Glock or XD.

I have issues with a holstered Sig 'just going off'. The problem with the Sig was dropping it, the trigger was too heavy or something and it would set off a round. Nothing in the holster, no debris, no shirt tail, no finger in the trigger guard. I read the gun can discharge under 'vibration'. What level of vibration? I mean, stick it in a paint shaker vibration?

If a person has the gun in their hands, and it isn't mechanically broken, I just find it hard to believe it just 'fires'.

I saw a HnK with a broken part essentially become a 'binary' type trigger. But there were broken parts in the gun.

I have issues with a holstered Sig 'just going off'. The problem with the Sig was dropping it, the trigger was too heavy or something and it would set off a round. Nothing in the holster, no debris, no shirt tail, no finger in the trigger guard. I read the gun can discharge under 'vibration'. What level of vibration? I mean, stick it in a paint shaker vibration?

If a person has the gun in their hands, and it isn't mechanically broken, I just find it hard to believe it just 'fires'.

I saw a HnK with a broken part essentially become a 'binary' type trigger. But there were broken parts in the gun.

This new one, the woman, had a flesh wound and the Cambridge cop didn’t even get hit yet they’re probably suing for millions.

I don’t believe any of these recent cases, I think it’s a money grab

Start reading the appendices of the lawsuits. A lot of the lawsuits are bogus but others not so much. In at least one case i referenced 3 guys are sitting in a truck, one guys p320 just fires in its holster. There are other documented cases with witnesses too. Something is either breaking in these guns or theres some f***ery afoot like a holster design being a huge part of the problem.

Back
Top Bottom