Police officer shot in Bourne

I don't know what cutter he was on. The only pictures that I saw made it look more like a destroyer than your typical cutter - painted gray and had gun turrets. This was around 1946.

Around that time it was one and the same. Destroyers were basically all the CG had in that size class.

Was your Dad on the coast Guard cutter Dwaine?

It was Duane - she was one of the 327' "Secretary" class ships named after Treasury Secretaries. I think the CG switched to white/black/red hulls after ww2. But cutters serving with the Navy, like in Vietnam, got navy gray paint.

I did some TAD on the Bibb (a sister of the Duane) right after boot camp. Those boats were ooold.

R

Around that time it was one and the same. Destroyers were basically all the CG had in that size class.

Not exactly. The 327 was a Coast Guard design from the early 1930s. It's smaller than a destroyer and less well armed, at least until the war started. During the war, no surprise, they up gunned it a lot. 3 turrets with a single 5" gun, iirc. After the war, when the CG reconfigured the Secretary class for ocean station service, the reduced it to a single turret on the forecastle.

But yes, that turret looks to be identical to the ones on the Fletcher (the destroyer moored at the Charlestown Navy yard, by the Constitution).

R

Not exactly. The 327 was a Coast Guard design from the early 1930s. It's smaller than a destroyer and less well armed, at least until the war started. During the war, no surprise, they up gunned it a lot. 3 turrets with a single 5" gun, iirc. After the war, when the CG reconfigured the Secretary class for ocean station service, the reduced it to a single turret on the forecastle.

But yes, that turret looks to be identical to the ones on the Fletcher (the destroyer moored at the Charlestown Navy yard, by the Constitution).

R
Thanks for the info. My Dad was the radio operator on the Duane back in 1946-1949, They patrolled the North Atlantic.

BPD Officer Jared MacDonald was released from his rehabilitation facility today and returned to Bourne this morning. People were out on Main Street Buzzards Bay with banners and signs to welcome him home. He was in a motorcade with at least 30 Police Cruisers, a couple of USCG vessels on trailers, Town of Bourne DPW trucks parked on the street. I happened to be the only one in front of the post office and he leaned out the window and thanked me for coming out.

After the motorcade there was a reception at the Mezza Luna restaurant on main street. Went there just before it finished to get one of the tee shirts they were selling, had a bite to eat while people we talking to Officer MacDonald, and taking photos. I was standing off to the side and he looks over and says "Hey your the guy from the PO Thanks for stopping by". Kinda took me by surprise after all he has gone through he would take a moment to give me a shout out. Walked over an introduced my self and wished him a him a speedy recovery.

I'm glad he survived and is improving. The shot was near his spine and he has lingering leg weakness. I'm not sure he'll get back to 100% sadly.

I wish they would not use public vehicles for things like this though.

Quite the whackjob.

Very methodical and planned. I wonder what issues he had with her, my guess is they were minor but enough for this wacko.

This was a stupid comment from the ADA.
Responding to the Times’ challenge of the impoundment, Assistant Cape and Islands District Attorney Elizabeth Sweeney echoed Segadelli’s concern that media coverage could jeopardize a fair trial for Loya.
“One wonders whether the 'media's' interest lies in legitimately informing the public or titillating them," she wrote.

Back
Top Bottom