Police: Man illegally owned 12 guns, 3,000 ammunition rounds

I didn't read where it said he stole the guns. If stolen then obviously possession of stolen firearms.

How are "his" firearms stolen?

"State Police said Sunday that 53-year-old Stephen Buckman was arrested and his firearms, ammunition and assorted pills were seized."

I suppose it depends on how you view buying fenced goods. Are you a bonafide owner if you buy stolen items, as long as you paid some amount of money? Based on the obliterated serial numbers and the fact he had no "legal" way of purchasing, the chances are the guns were stolen at some point and sold on the black market, ending up with this guy. But that is just circumstantial--no way of proving to a criminal law standard, thus no charges for that.

I suppose it depends on how you view buying fenced goods. Are you a bonafide owner if you buy stolen items, as long as you paid some amount of money? Based on the obliterated serial numbers and the fact he had no "legal" way of purchasing, the chances are the guns were stolen at some point and sold on the black market, ending up with this guy. But that is just circumstantial--no way of proving to a criminal law standard, thus no charges for that.

I agree with your statement because of infringements and such there is no way to legally transfer a firearm with a defaced serial number.

But to me licensing and registration of firearms are infringements. I'll leave it at that.

No. Worse. He was a dealer in the stuff. imnsho, f someone OD's and dies, the dealer ought to be charged.
Does this apply to alcohol dealers?

How about gun manufacturers?

People selling drugs are not trying to kill their customers.

The customer has to actually abuse the drug.

actually, i'd bet the average gun owner owns maybe 2 or 3 at best if not only one. we tend to think everyone is like us and they're not. "gun people" are like us...and keep buying and buying and....... so, to folks who own one or none, 12 is a lot. hell, i think a car guy who has 2 or 3 cars on his property is a lot.
I don’t know about that, most gun owners I know have more than 2 or 3 guns. But with all the 80%’s and guns that are not “registered” it is impossible to get a good handle on the actual numbers.

You got me on the car guy one, I have 4 (that are registered), but rarely drive a couple of them. But I also have gun’s NIB that I have never shot. Now you got me thinking, I’ve got too much stuff.

He is a criminal and should be treated like one. Nothing interesting here.

Based on the original article - NO! I would argue that MA licensing system for guns in the home is highly illegal.

Upon further inspection the first article is thin on details and he’s a POS.

Oh and maybe the pills were bullets and he’s a reloader. (I’d rather hear “shotty” 800 times than have someone refer to a bullet as a pill.)

ok then. if that is the case then possession of stolen firearms is appropriate.

Would be a shit idea for a law given that there's no clearing house for identification of stolen guns. An idiot thief could trade in a stolen gun at a gun shop for cash, etc.

ETA: This is the reason, imho, why defacing or possessing a gun with a defaced SN is a crime, because basically a gun with the sn obliterated is saying "hey im stolen!!!" etc. It removes "benefit of the doubt" partially....

The libertarian in me says "The drug war is bullshit, all gun laws are unconstitutional and the guy hurt nobody (besides himself with the smack) in the commission of these so called crimes.". The pragmatist in me says "Meh. Dude broke the law which is what it is, unjust or not. PSGWSP.".

state police said they seized a cache of illegal guns, thousands of rounds of unlawful ammunition, and an assorted collection of drugs from his home and place of business on Friday.

what exactly is unlawful ammunition? reporter is a moron...

Does this apply to alcohol dealers?

How about gun manufacturers?

People selling drugs are not trying to kill their customers.

The customer has to actually abuse the drug.

is there any therapeutic use of heroin?

12 weapons and 3,000 rounds are rookie numbers.....

Beat. Came here to post this:

13e.jpg

That's because it is run by humans... No matter how carefully planned or executed, all governments eventually fall due to human nature (i.e corruption, greed, etc..)
Lawyers have messed up the government so bad that is does not even come close to what the founding fathers envisioned.
Very true!!

what exactly is unlawful ammunition? reporter is a moron...

is there any therapeutic use of heroin?
Yes.

Heroin was developed to help people get off opium. Now we use methadone to help them get off heroin. It has the same palliative effects as any other opioid. For a person seeking to manage pain, whether legitimately or not, heroin could be a viable choice.

Of course, the question is as valid as "is there a therapeutic use of" alcohol? Nicotine? Which is, in effect, the same as asking "why do you need a" <insert class of firearm here>?

The answer is the same in all cases: in America we're not in the habit of legislating people to their needs; that's not what freedom is about.

Back
Top Bottom