Police: Man Accidentally Shoots Self While Driving

JonJ

NES Member
http://www.wmur.com/news/10663908/detail.html

Police: Man Accidentally Shoots Self While Driving
Passing EMT Treats Man At Scene Of Accident

POSTED: 4:34 pm EST January 3, 2007
CONCORD, N.H. -- Police said a Webster, N.H., man shot himself in the leg and caused an accident while driving down a busy road in Concord on Wednesday.

Investigators said Robert Drown, 22, was driving on Loudon Road and emptying his loaded weapon at about noon. Police said Drown accidentally shot himself in the thigh.

"It's like he rear-ended a car, went up over the curb, didn't hit the brakes or anything, took out the sign and jumped out of the car covered in blood," witness Jeff Raymond said.

The collision happened about 50 yards from a fire station, and police said Drown tried to run to the station before collapsing 20 feet from the door.

"A good Samaritan, an EMT, saw the whole thing and responded with first aid," Maj. Robert Barry said. "Concord Fire then responded with treatment, and he was transported to Concord Hospital."

Drown's vehicle was heavily damaged, and a sign at a 7-Eleven that his vehicle hit was destroyed. Drown was rushed into surgery to repair the gunshot wound.

"It does appear that he lost a significant amount of blood," Barry said. "Loss of blood is the concern at this point."

Investigators said the incident was a case of poor judgment.

"When you handle a firearm, it should have 100 percent of your attention," Barry said.

No charges have been filed, but police said the incident was still under investigation.

Personally I find it's much less distracting to unload my pistol by removing the magazine rather than by pulling the trigger while driving. [shocked]

Not that I would do either while driving tho... [rolleyes]

What a schmuck ! [thinking]

i fail to see anything "accidental" about this incident..

He can feel free to donate his firearms to the northeastshooters "guns without a home fund" when they come to revoke his licence to carry after what im sure will be a very brief investigation.

CONCORD, N.H. -- Police said a Webster, N.H., man shot himself in the leg and caused an accident while driving down a busy road in Concord on Wednesday.

Investigators said Robert Drown, 22, was driving on Loudon Road and emptying his loaded weapon at about noon.
[rolleyes]
jpshakehead.gif

He can feel free to donate his firearms to the northeastshooters "guns without a home fund" when they come to revoke his licence to carry after what im sure will be a very brief investigation.
Read it again, SnakeEye, paying close attention to where the guy lives. I don't think that will happen in a free state. Although it might increase his life expectancy if they did... sounds like he's too stupid to safely own a gun.

But that's his problem.

i fail to see anything "accidental" about this incident..

In NH revocation of a license to carry doesn't mean that you cannot own the firearms. In fact, I'm not even sure that they can revoke unless the person becomes ineligible to own firearms, since it is a shall issue state.

My mistake, i didnt read the "where", i just assumed it was here in the peoples republic.
such forgiving policies are something i cant even wrap my head around.
Im simply not use to people actually having the ability to make a "mistake" or have an "accident" and have their rights survive the encounter.

im just thankfull he didnt run down a bustop full of grade school students or something in the aftermath of his lapse of reasoning.

Last edited:
Wait til the Personal Injury/Liability lawyers get ahold of this. Remember when the coffee shops had to add "CAUTION: Contents are HOT" on the coffee cups because someone stupidly placed the cup between legs while driving and got severly burned??

I can invision stickers on the dashboard that say "CAUTION: Loading and Unloading firearms while driving can be dangerous" or on your firearm "CAUTION: DO NOT LOAD or UNLOAD Firearm while operating heavy machinery" [rolleyes] [laugh]

He's a NH resident. NH has shall-issue licensing. Unless he is convicted of a crime, I don't see how his chief can revoke his license. This is NH we're talking about, not MA.

Wait til the Personal Injury/Liability lawyers get ahold of this. Remember when the coffee shops had to add "CAUTION: Contents are HOT" on the coffee cups because someone stupidly placed the cup between legs while driving and got severly burned??

Another mindless repetition of internet mendacity. There was no such case.

The incident referred to, being the MacDonald's coffee case, involved a PARKED car, coffee which McD's deliberately served very hot on the specious premise that its customers would not drink it until they got to work, and continued to do so AFTER previous reports of burns. Note that the burns in question were second degree burns - it's called "scalding."

Note also that McD's could have settled the case for mere reimbursement of medical costs. It refused and the rest is history - to those who bothered to pay attention, instead of simply parroting internet drivel. [slap]

Last edited:
Another mindless repetition of internet mendacity. There was no such case.

The incident referred to, being the MacDonald's coffee case, involved a PARKED car, coffee which McD's deliberately served very hot on the specious premise that its customers would not drink it until they got to work, and continued to do so AFTER previous reports of burns. Note that the burns in question were second degree burns - it's called "scalding."

Note also that McD's could have settled the case for mere reimbursement of medical costs. It refused and the rest is history - to those who bothered to pay attention, instead of simply parroting internet drivel. [slap]
Well said, Scrivener!!!

For anyone who's interested, here's some more info.

Scrivener hit it right on the head. A few years back while bored and having free time at a law firm I worked part time at I discussed this case with one of the lawyers. Beyond what was already stated, the lids used were ill fitting and no corrected by the establishment.

He's a NH resident. NH has shall-issue licensing. Unless he is convicted of a crime, I don't see how his chief can revoke his license. This is NH we're talking about, not MA.

if you bothered to read the whole thread you could have saved yourself a post/

NH Chiefs can revoke for "just cause".

"CONCORD, N.H. The New Hampshire Attorney General will defend a state law allowing police to revoke concealed gun permits.

The Attorney General is intervening in state Supreme Court appeal by a Dover man who claims his rights were violated when the city police chief revoked his permit to carry concealed.

Edward Bleiler says the state law is unconstitutional because it's too vague, just saying the permits can be revoked for (--QUOTE--) "just cause."

Dover police Chief William Fenniman revoked Bleiler's permit last March after Bleiler pulled out his handgun in a City Hall office and laid it on the city attorney's desk.

A Dover District Court judge upheld the chief's decision to revoke Bleiler's permit.

Bleiler has been involved in several lawsuits against the city, including one claiming the police chief's contract and the hiring of the city attorney were illegal. A Superior Court judge ruled in the city's favor last week."
http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=5721957&nav=4QcS

No one's rights should be disabled without due process. Period.

It is an abuse of power for a Chief of Police to do such a thing.

Back
Top Bottom