Police Kill Bear In Worcester

----

Police Kill Bear Roaming Worcester Neighborhood

WORCESTER (WBZ) ― It was an all-out bear hunt in Worcester on Friday. Environmental, state and local police were searching for a black bear roaming through one of the city's neighborhoods.

The bear was spotted walking through backyards near Route 290 and Hope Ave.

Environmental police were trying to get the bear to climb a tree, so they could safely tranquilize him, but their efforts were unsuccessful.

The bear was finally put down near a commercial residence and a 290 onramp.

Officials said killing the bear was necessary because he posed a serious threat for the neighborhood and could have caused a serious accident on the highway.

----

I firmly believe that he was just coming to town to discuss denial of his unrestricted class A with Gemme.

Darn it, we invade their space then get all pissy that they are around. No animal will be shot or killed on my 6.14 acres unless I'm going to eat it; no matter how annoying it is.

Darn it, we invade their space then get all pissy that they are around. No animal will be shot or killed on my 6.14 acres unless I'm going to eat it; no matter how annoying it is.

Not true.

40 years ago you'd be hard pressed to find a Black bear in MA, and be called crazy if you said you did. Just like now with mountain lions today, some believe, others don't.

I believe the reason Bear and Moose have come this far south in recent years is because they like the forrest areas for cover. Hmm, does that mean there is more forest in MA today than there was 40 years ago? Yes! Around the time of the WWII MA was only approxiamatley 25% forrested. Most of the rest of the land was agricultural. MA is now closer to 60% forrested today due to all the farms going belly up. All that agricultural land is now 40-50 year old forrest land. This is also the reason for seeing less and less white tail deer in MA.

We are not pushing the Black Bear out, they are actually moving in.

I'm not saying I'd like to see all the forests cut down for houses. New England is ever changing just like the rest of the world.

I miss the the agricultural land in the area were I've grown up and now reside.

Neptune Cat, good post.

--

There was another bear spotting in South Hadley last week, they were able to tranquilize the animal in that case though. One of the funnier things in the article was a quote to the effect that 'officers became concerned when they approached the bear and it made aggressive maneuvers towards them'.
Who in there right mind would walk up to a wild animal and not expect such a reaction? But a bear? Kind of comical.

I Will have to disagree with Neptune on the whitetail deer.

Just Like the bear , Moose , Cougar and assorted other animals whose population in mass is on the rise . Deer are also in greater numbers in more parts of the state than ever before . Also in areas where the deer where in large numbers in the past such as in western mass they are still there in smaller numbers but most of the land is now posted from out of state land owners restricting areas available to hunt . I think the drop in numbers in western mass is because of predators retuning to the area. There are more deer in mass than ever before in the history of the state as far back as records where kept.

Neptune Cat, good post.

--

There was another bear spotting in South Hadley last week, they were able to tranquilize the animal in that case though. One of the funnier things in the article was a quote to the effect that 'officers became concerned when they approached the bear and it made aggressive maneuvers towards them'.
Who in there right mind would walk up to a wild animal and not expect such a reaction? But a bear? Kind of comical.

Where was their bear spray? Guess that isn't standard issue and would likely only make the bear mad anyway.

The "bear spray" actually works pretty well. We all carry "Counter Assault".
I hope I never have to test it's effectiveness at close range though!

Not true.

40 years ago you'd be hard pressed to find a Black bear in MA, and be called crazy if you said you did. Just like now with mountain lions today, some believe, others don't.

I believe the reason Bear and Moose have come this far south in recent years is because they like the forrest areas for cover. Hmm, does that mean there is more forest in MA today than there was 40 years ago? Yes! Around the time of the WWII MA was only approxiamatley 25% forrested. Most of the rest of the land was agricultural. MA is now closer to 60% forrested today due to all the farms going belly up. All that agricultural land is now 40-50 year old forrest land. This is also the reason for seeing less and less white tail deer in MA.

I'm not saying I'd like to see all the forests cut down for houses. New England is ever changing just like the rest of the world.

I always kind of wondered when I saw pictures from around the 1800's, around Newton and Brookline, etc, there always seemed to be so much open space and so few trees. It's interesting, now you have to pay $1000 just to get one cut down on your property around here!

Why would they want the bear to climb a tree before tranquilizing it?

Because it would make for a really cool video when the bear fell out of the tree! Especially if it fell on a liberal. [wink]

Not true.

Well just don't tell the environmentalists about this. According to them it's because we are destroying their habitat and being nasty human consumers of something or other.

I think we are actually making the state friendlier to wild animals, although this particular bear would probably beg to differ.

Isn't this what the Second Amendment is all about? The right to arm bears?

C'mon, someone had to say it.

Gary

This kind of madness happen all to frequently around here...A few years ago, the Stockbridge Police Chief announced to a crowded meeting after he shot and killed a young bear for pushing in an air conditioner: "A black bear would kill every person in this room". Trouble is, most of the a**h***s were New Yorker summer home folks and most bought it...

Bears are tough as nails and they will survive a long fall - especially when tranquilized. Mike-Mike is right - treeing it gives the shooter a decent shot at knocking it out and it's subsequent fall from the tree is generally, (but not always), without incident. Sure beats the alternative....We are far too comfortable killing that which we feel a threat...

Bears are tough as nails and they will survive a long fall - especially when tranquilized. Mike-Mike is right - treeing it gives the shooter a decent shot at knocking it out and it's subsequent fall from the tree is generally, (but not always), without incident. Sure beats the alternative....We are far too comfortable killing that which we feel a threat...

+1

and, a bear in a tree is a lot less likely to charge the person with the dart gun [wink]

I feel any animal (in witch there is a legal hunting season for) should just be harvested in season or out of season if it is causing a problem or putting people in danger.

Like coyote. If one gets anywhere near residents or a school, just shoot the damn thing.

I saw in Waltham . police and fire fighters trying to save a duck that was tangled in a plastic net. They had all types of equipment, manpower, and they where in the water. I have been hunting for years. It's a duck for the love of God. Shoot the thing and I'll eat it.

This kind of madness happen all to frequently around here...A few years ago, the Stockbridge Police Chief announced to a crowded meeting after he shot and killed a young bear for pushing in an air conditioner: "A black bear would kill every person in this room". Trouble is, most of the a**h***s were New Yorker summer home folks and most bought it...

Huh. I wonder if that was the bear that accosted film critic Gene Shalit a few years back in Stockbridge. The knuckhead had a practice of putting bird seed on top of the air conditioner in his bedroom, so he could watch the happy little birdies as he lounged in the sack.

I recently heard that bears that are corralled in some urban areas of CT are tranquilized and dropped off in neighboring Tolland, MA, near the Otis Reservoir. We've got the danged things everywhere. Don't need any more.

Had moose in the yard two weeks ago, We've had bobcat in the yard, too. A lot of coyote sightings lately as well.

Back
Top Bottom