• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Police: Father commits suicide after 2-year-old finds loaded gun, shoots self

sad situation for sure and not meaning to be cold hearted but the anti's are going to be all over this like a monkey on a banana.

I have a 2 year old....this scares the shit out of me.

I'm not negligent with my guns, but man, a 2 year old just never stops, they're always into something.

If this ever happened to me, I'd probably do the same thing the father did....I don't know how you could possibly live with yourself after that.

Wow, poor mother/wife! Not sure if a relationship could survive a tragedy like this (lots of blame) but she's got to be like, WTF!

I have a 2 year old....this scares the shit out of me.

I'm not negligent with my guns, but man, a 2 year old just never stops, they're always into something.

If this ever happened to me, I'd probably do the same thing the father did....I don't know how you could possibly live with yourself after that.

understandable, but the kid is more likely to get into something bad under the sink.

understandable, but the kid is more likely to get into something bad under the sink.

True.

I read a really sad story about a mother who got in the bath with her newborn. she fell asleep and woke up with a dead baby floating by her feet. I guess she underestimated how sleep deprived she was.

Stories like this, were a momentary lapse in judgment results in your kid being dead....gut wrenching.

True.

I read a really sad story about a mother who got in the bath with her newborn. she fell asleep and woke up with a dead baby floating by her feet. I guess she underestimated how sleep deprived she was.

Stories like this, were a momentary lapse in judgment results in your kid being dead....gut wrenching.

Damn.

The worst I ever did was fall asleep on the couch while holding one of our kids as a newborn. Me and the boy were woken up by my wife screaming at me. Apparently I nodded off while he slept on me, and when she found us he had slipped between my arm and my body and was just peacefully sleeping down in there. She thought I squashed him. That tub story sounds ridiculous but I can see how it happens - you're just so damned tired when you're doing the baby thing. Just last night I fell asleep sitting in a chair with my forehead pressed against the rungs of our crib. I was like that for about an hour.

2 year olds are nuts. It's like having a midget with a serious drinking problem as a roommate.

I have never understood this. Even with only two adults in the house, guns are either on the person or locked up in the basement safe or our individual mini-vaults in the bedroom. I can't even comprehend leaving loaded guns lying around with children in the house.

With kids that age you have to be constantly thinking of even the most insanely improbable scenario of what the little monkeys could get into.
Prayers for the wife.
She's got a hell of a lot to deal with.

Last edited:
Or the dad in NH (?) that ran over his 12 year old daughter with ski boat and killed her.
Having spent many hours on a lake towing my kids and others kids on tubes, knee boards and skis - running over and killing my own daughter...I would have a hard time surviving that. You try and live on for what remains of your family or you call it a day. Brutal.

I have never understood this. Even with only two adults in the house, guns are either on the person or locked up in the basement safe or our individual mini-vaults in the bedroom. I can't even comprehend leaving loaded guns lying around with children in the house.
Yup, on your person or locked up, until they are not. Everyone makes mistakes, triggers get pulled, rounds get left in, gun owners are like everyone else and we screw up. Usually we freak ourselves out and never tell anyone and never make the same mistake again, but sometimes it ends in tradegy... Terrible what happened.... Can't imagine how he felt when he realized what happened...

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

No way a 2 year old can rack the slide. No way he can pull a 10 lb DA trigger. But a 4 lb striker fired - must have I guess.

The reason so many of these incidents end with the kid shot in the head is because the only way they can get the strength to pull the trigger is to use their thumb or thumbs in the trigger, hands around the grip. Who knows, may have been a revolver. My boys are 5 and 7 now and I remember the shit they did at two years old - kids that age are nuts.

I have seen something silmilar happen to a kid in my brother class. He and a friend went squirrel hunting in 6th grade with shotguns I think. One had his finger on the trigger and tripped, shooting the other in the head. He saw what he did, put the barrel in his mouth and blew his own head off. The police went to his his parents house told the parents of the kid the shot himseld what their son had done, father repeated the scene a day later. Father and son burried next to each other under the same headstone.

irony is the kid that got shot my accident lived. He was not the same, but is still alive today. This was in 1976. .

Growing up in Dorchester... one of my buddy's father was a Boston cop. Dad hid his duty weapon but the kid knew where it was.

When Mom and Dad weren't home the kid would go get it and chase us around his house with it.

JESUS... I'd forgotten about that.

No way a 2 year old can rack the slide. No way he can pull a 10 lb DA trigger. But a 4 lb striker fired - must have I guess.

It would seem that toddlers aren't that strong, but my 16-month old, who is only 20 lbs, can pick up a 12 lb dumbbell, and when he pinches you, it can really hurt.

Damn.

The worst I ever did was fall asleep on the couch while holding one of our kids as a newborn. Me and the boy were woken up by my wife screaming at me. Apparently I nodded off while he slept on me, and when she found us he had slipped between my arm and my body and was just peacefully sleeping down in there. She thought I squashed him. That tub story sounds ridiculous but I can see how it happens - you're just so damned tired when you're doing the baby thing. Just last night I fell asleep sitting in a chair with my forehead pressed against the rungs of our crib. I was like that for about an hour.

2 year olds are nuts. It's like having a midget with a serious drinking problem as a roommate.

Having a newborn is like Navy Seals hell week, in terms of sleep. My kids used to fall asleep nursing and I'd worry, but somehow the boob is designed to keep the baby from suffocating.

- - - Updated - - -

The reason so many of these incidents end with the kid shot in the head is because the only way they can get the strength to pull the trigger is to use their thumb or thumbs in the trigger, hands around the grip. Who knows, may have been a revolver. My boys are 5 and 7 now and I remember the shit they did at two years old - kids that age are nuts.

Yeah, they're clever enough to figure out the leverage I guess. My kids are 4 and 6 now, they'd be shooting at each other if they found one, rather than themselves.

I've carried every day for almost 17 years and my habits are based on living alone. My first child was born 8 days ago and now I have to learn to make 100% f*cking sure that something like this doesn't happen with one of my guns.

Back
Top Bottom