Police Cite "Excessive Speed" As Cause Of Eight Car Crash At The Nurburgring

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Rented Corvette and ‘Ring Taxi crash at Nürburgring, cause $130,000 in damage

An eight-car crash on the Nürburgring Nordschleife earlier today sent one driver to the hospital with serious injuries, claimed a rented Corvette Z06 and put one of the new BMW M3 "ring taxis" out of commission. It also caused more than $130,000 in property damage.
Full Story >>> http://jalopnik.com/5845899/rented-corvette-and-ring-taxi-crash-at-nurburgring-cause-130k-in-damage

All of the cars except one were substantially damaged and were not drivable. Police are still investigating, but cite "excessive speed" as the cause.
For those that don't know, the Nurburgring is a RACE TRACK.
The speed limit is basically whatever the car will do.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Never like seeing a BMW or Porsche damaged...

Can't wait to get out on the Ring. Anyone been?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would love to go to the Ring. Even renting a little econo-box would be a blast to drive around it. I heard many regular car rental places put GPS' in their cars and if you take the car to the Ring you will be charged for any wear and tear, and you crash there, insurance wont cover it. I guess rental companies got sick of cars being returned with bald tires,warn out brake pads and warped rotors.[smile]. The laps themselves aren't that expensive, I think they come out to around 15 dollars a lap or you can get a package 5 for 60 or 10 for 100, The rental companies that allow cars around the Ring can be pretty expensive a E46 M3 is like $1500 for the day and they only allow you to do a certain amount of laps. Good Info Here

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would love to go to the Ring. Even renting a little econo-box would be a blast to drive around it. I heard many regular car rental places put GPS' in their cars and if you take the car to the Ring you will be charged for any wear and tear, and you crash there, insurance wont cover it. I guess rental companies got sick of cars being returned with bald tires,warn out brake pads and warped rotors.[smile]. The laps themselves aren't that expensive, I think they come out to around 15 dollars a lap or you can get a package 5 for 60 or 10 for 100, The rental companies that allow cars around the Ring can be pretty expensive a E46 M3 is like $1500 for the day and they only allow you to do a certain amount of laps. Good Info Here
An E36 is only 600 Euro for a full day and will perform very similarly to the E46.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Full Story >>> http://jalopnik.com/5845899/rented-corvette-and-ring-taxi-crash-at-nurburgring-cause-130k-in-damage

When not on race day, the Ring isn't actually a race track. It's a one-way toll road and there are speed limits on it. They are posted but very rarely enforced. There are a lot of rules on that road that aren't enforced because they want to let people have a good time (such as recording yourself while driving). I'm planning a trip there in the coming months so, there's a lot to know before you hit the Ring.

"German road law applies during Touristenfahrten sessions. There is no general speed limit although speed limits exist in certain areas in order to reduce noise and risks. Passing on the right is prohibited and the police prosecute poor driving with the aid of helicopters."

Fixxah

NES Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Touristfarten season. Wow, must be related to the beer.

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

terraformer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
If you do go, make sure you don't go too late into the year or during the rainy season. Imagine standing outside of it and not being able to go in. Ask me how I know.

Dench

NES Member
Rating - 100%
99   0   0

The Nurburgring is a track, but you still have to obey German traffic laws on it while its in public use. Under German law, and most road law in the world, a construction zone will have a speed limit. The Nurburgring is no exception, and the German police enforce traffic violations on the track while its on public use. The most common infraction is passing on the incorrect side, I believe.

Top Bottom