Police cameras for license plates??

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Another thread here reminded me of this. Earlier this year I was pulled over. I wasn't speeding, etc. The officer said my plates were showing as revoked...I had renewed my registration, showed him the registration I had received and even the online receipt for it. He wouldn't budge and said the RMV was showing otherwise. He wrote me a 100$ ticket and had my truck towed. Unbelievable. That's not even the reason for this post, though. The tow company said that cruisers have a camera installed that read plates and run them against the RMV automatically. I'm not sure I'm buying this. Does anyone know if this is true or not? Mind you, the last time I had a ticket was probably 20 years prior to this.

blindfire

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The best part about it...you have to pay to go to court to file it. Don't you love MA!!! Well, this may be true in Boston...not sure about other locations.

swatgig

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
The tow company said that cruisers have a camera installed that read plates and run them against the RMV automatically. I'm not sure I'm buying this. Does anyone know if this is true or not?
Yup, it's for real alright, and they've been around for years too.
The early generations of the cameras were easy to spot, they were usually mounted on the trunk lid or roof of the cruisers.
The newest ones are tiny and can be hidden in the grille or inside the light bar.
I remember the first car I towed for the local PD, the first day they started using the system.
It's amazing how well it works. While the cop was writing up the paperwork on the one he bagged for unregistered, 5 or 6 more vehicles in violation drove past him and were captured by the cameras. There are so many out there, the cops literally can't keep up with the cameras.

Wickedcoolname

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another thread here reminded me of this. Earlier this year I was pulled over. I wasn't speeding, etc. The officer said my plates were showing as revoked...I had renewed my registration, showed him the registration I had received and even the online receipt for it. He wouldn't budge and said the RMV was showing otherwise. He wrote me a 100$ ticket and had my truck towed. Unbelievable. That's not even the reason for this post, though. The tow company said that cruisers have a camera installed that read plates and run them against the RMV automatically. I'm not sure I'm buying this. Does anyone know if this is true or not? Mind you, the last time I had a ticket was probably 20 years prior to this.
I think they should double your fine for putting the dollar sign on the right.

jhagberg88

NES Member
Rating - 100%
38   0   1
what ended up happening once you proved your vehicle was properly registered?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
All this to flag out of compliance vehicles but illegal aliens roam freely slurping up tax dollars and other resources.
Yep! Unreal.
In smaller communities some night shift cops cruising around w/no calls hunt for autos w/infractions in apartment complexes ...to tow/impound.
You go out in the a.m, ...your cars stickers expired & already impounded!
This .gov over reach is unacceptable!

Last edited:

EC1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
just think, if you have a routine, work, school, or whatever, somewhere there's a data base that shows where you've been, on what days and times, if hacked it can be a treasure trove for those less than honest.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
what ended up happening once you proved your vehicle was properly registered?
It turned out that the registry sent me a valid registration but there was a mix up with payment. When you get your new registration and sticker in the mail, one tends to think things are in order. I should know better. I ended up having to pay in the $150 range to re-instate the registration AND pay the ticket. I should have tried to fight the ticket but it wasn't worth the time and trouble.

You really have to go all unabomber today and live in a cabin to not be tracked in some fashion.

abundigas

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
It turned out that the registry sent me a valid registration but there was a mix up with payment. When you get your new registration and sticker in the mail, one tends to think things are in order. I should know better. I ended up having to pay in the $150 range to re-instate the registration AND pay the ticket. I should have tried to fight the ticket but it wasn't worth the time and trouble.

You really have to go all unabomber today and live in a cabin to not be tracked in some fashion.
I'm sure they have already mapped out where all the secret cabins are too.....

Yazz

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I just did the update on my iphone, and, of course, some stuff changed. I have a Tile on my keys, so I can find them when I misplace them, and vice-versa. Anyways, I opened the Tile app, and it showed my daily commute on a little map.

[tinfoil]
You should get a magnet and stick the tile to a commuter train!

Top Bottom