Police Benefit Associations

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
I am posting this in this forum in hopes of getting good advice from the intended audience (active/retired/former) NES LEOs and minimize participation from the NES "LE nay-sayers" (to put it politely).

I've been getting more and more telemarketer calls for donations to organizations which claim that they support or benefit LEOs in various ways. My natural suspicions of such calls make me turn them down, sometimes politely, other times not so much. The only organization I give to consistently is a fund run by my local PD. These guys I trust.

Without getting too argumentative what organizations would you folks recommend as really working to help the average officer? It doesn't have to be a 501c group but I would like to try to keep my funds in Massachusetts or at least New England.

Thanks.

They are all scams.

If so inclined, donate directly to the org your local PD tells you that they are part of.

Example: FOP fundraiser (allegedly) called me and implied that they represent my local PD. Since I am on very good terms with my local PD and am considered retired from there, I know that FOP has nothing to do with my PD!

I have received annual letters from the local PD union president asking for donations, if so inclined go that way and 100% goes where you intended. I decline specifically because of the poor treatment I encountered by said union during the time I worked as a PT PO there. I have donated to my local FD a number of times and either mailed a check direct to the local union rep or handed a check to the Fire Chief in hand.

REF: I worked for the fundraiser for the Brockton Police Relief Assn back when I got out of high school. The boiler-room callers actually threatened business owners if they didn't "donate" (I heard the script while picking up orders) and they were paid 25% for the arm-twisting. I was paid 25% for delivering tickets and picking up payments. I'm certain that the promoter got at least 25%. So what was left for the actual BPRA? Less than 25% of donations!!! Donate direct and don't respond to calls or letters from non-local addresses.

Back
Top Bottom