Police: 11-year-old shoots home intruder during burglary attempt

In Mass this would be a problem. Not sure about Alabama but in Mass I would expect charges to be brought against the boy and the parent owner of the gun...

Am I wrong on this?

"Chris opened fire as the intruder walked out of the Gaither home carrying a hamper. He fired 12 shots at the would-be burglar, but only the last bullet hit the suspect, according to WVTM.“I shot through the hamper he was carrying,” Chris said. “It was a full metal jacket bullet. It went straight through the back of his leg. He started crying like a little baby.”

12 shots? Good thing he is not in Mass. and had to reload because of a capacity challenged magazine, could have cost him his life.
Good for the kid for defending his life, now does he get a participation trophy?

Chris said. “It was a full metal jacket bullet. It went straight through the back of his leg. He started crying like a little baby.” Hehehehe.

Of course, most would not take kindly to being shot through the leg.

In Mass this would be a problem. Not sure about Alabama but in Mass I would expect charges to be brought against the boy and the parent owner of the gun...

Am I wrong on this?

"Chris opened fire as the intruder walked out of the Gaither home carrying a hamper. He fired 12 shots at the would-be burglar, but only the last bullet hit the suspect, according to WVTM.“I shot through the hamper he was carrying,” Chris said. “It was a full metal jacket bullet. It went straight through the back of his leg. He started crying like a little baby.”

I don't think you're wrong. 11-yo with no LTC has access to a gun. Shot the guy as he was trying to run away. Massachusetts liberals would reinstate the death penalty on the parents for this stuff if it wouldn't make their brains explode from the cognitive dissonance.

Probably the only thing the kid did right by PRM standards was making it clear that the guy said he was going to kill him.

Yes, I also see 2 problems if this was in MA.

- Being underage with access to a gun.
- Shooting someone stealing property and especially since the story stated that he shot the guy as he was leaving.

Most of Free America has no problem with children using a gun for self-defense. MA has a problem with ANYONE using a gun for self-defense.

IIRC my Law of Self-Defense Instructor course, only TX allows you to defend property in most cases, so this may still be a problem for him.

"Chris opened fire as the intruder walked out of the Gaither home carrying a hamper.

Chris' mother told WVTM the Gaither family did not know the suspect, although she said he had burglarized them before.

dafaq? Lots missing with this backstory. Stealing underwear?

Loved the way the kid described it so matter of fact!!! Our special little snowflakes around here would have ran to the closet and pissed themself. Sure sounds like he was facing the kid if he shot through the hamper. "Chris says the burglar threatened him before walking outside with a clothes hamper in hand."

Loved the way the kid described it so matter of fact!!! Our special little snowflakes around here would have ran to the closet and pissed themself. Sure sounds like he was facing the kid if he shot through the hamper. "Chris says the burglar threatened him before walking outside with a clothes hamper in hand."

One could assume that he meant that like, as soon as I put this in my car or wherever I am coming back to take care of you. I could see the kid coming to that conclusion. I mean the kid was home so this is a home invasion right?

There may have been items in the hamper that stopped some of the shots (assume it was full of loot). I'll give the kid the benefit of the doubt.

There may have been items in the hamper that stopped some of the shots (assume it was full of loot). I'll give the kid the benefit of the doubt.

yeah, and if he shot through the hamper the guy had to be facing him right? Doesn't make sense slinging a hamper over your back. I guess I would need to know what type of vessel he was carrying his ill gotten loot in....

- Shooting someone stealing property and especially since the story stated that he shot the guy as he was leaving.

Most of Free America has no problem with children using a gun for self-defense. MA has a problem with ANYONE using a gun for self-defense.

IIRC my Law of Self-Defense Instructor course, only TX allows you to defend property in most cases, so this may still be a problem for him.

I think it's funny that Title 18 USC Sec. (3) States this section (unlawful acts) does not apply to:
(D) the possession of a handgun or ammunition by a juvenile taken in defense of the juvenile or other persons against an intruder into the residence of the juvenile or a residence in which the juvenile is an invited guest.

As for the threat an 11 year old feels, I'd give him the benefit of doubt. The "intruder" could be coming back.

A pretty clear example of WHY you need to get your kids an FID card as soon as they are eligible.

A pretty clear example of WHY you need to get your kids an FID card as soon as they are eligible.

I believe in Mass they are not eligible until 15. So if that is a federal standard and it is the same there this would still be the situation.

MA yes, Free America NO! There is a fed law on age to purchase, but not age to possess.[/QUO

So true. I remember taking the 10-22 and other long guns, on our bicycles to the sand pits in NH to go shooting. Sometimes the PD would come down to give us a talk about safety. Only once were we asked to leave. On our bikes, with our guns. This was NH, ~1990-1995. No FID, no hassles, no hand cuffs, no problems.

Now we have WTF.

Edit- we were 13-16 years old at the time....

Back
Top Bottom