Polar bear self defense

That's racist.

Polar Bears, under that beautiful transparent fur, are black.

E-7Yi5vXoAET1UQ.jpg

That's right. You're advocating going armed so you can shoot blacks.

For shame.

That's racist.

E-7Yi5vXoAET1UQ.jpg

For shame.
well, northern folks are that fun - they still eat dolphins and whales, and have kings and guns all the same...
it`s like a whole different level of 'coexist'.

That's racist.

E-7Yi5vXoAET1UQ.jpg

For shame.
Fun fact about polar bears: You may have a rifle, but the bear may chuck a BFR at your head:

Whenever I'm driving in Wormtown, near the bottling plant, I keep an eye on the big bastid, sitting on the roof.....

Polar bears are the most divided group among the animal families. They truly exist in two completely separate camps.

That's racist.

E-7Yi5vXoAET1UQ.jpg

For shame.
Wow. Learn something new today.
Amazing I’ve never seen a photo of a shaved/bald bear before, until today. Very strange. They look like a giant rat or something

What are Canadians to do when they aren't allowed to own pistols, or centerfire rifles (and maybe shotguns) in bear country? Semi-serious question. I am told a .357 (I would go with a 10mm instead) is the minimum caliber for brown bear self defense. As polar bears actively hunt humans (I have read) anything less than a .30-06 or .308 would be inadvisable.

What are Canadians to do when they aren't allowed to own pistols, or centerfire rifles (and maybe shotguns) in bear country? Semi-serious question. I am told a .357 (I would go with a 10mm instead) is the minimum caliber for brown bear self defense. As polar bears actively hunt humans (I have read) anything less than a .30-06 or .308 would be inadvisable.
I think the territories are going to tell Quebec to 'le shat in their toque'

ETA: this was one of my bucket list destinations, any time of year.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYWA-6qsSGM

Last edited:
It was a story out of Alaska a couple of weeks ago that a mother and child came out of a school it was foggy out and before they knew what a polar bear was on top of them and got them both. I have a friend that runs an NPR station in McGrath Alaska which is a place where there are no roads in or out it's by boat or by plane and he has to put polar bear warnings out over the radio station when he hears that they are roaming around town

I actually was up on Svalbard in December. Its a beautiful place and I'm thinking of going back next winter. Stopped by the local sports shop out of curiosity to see what prices were like

CBB359EF-ECE7-4705-92F8-5A68362C7586.jpeg
66211A9D-1E1A-4BB3-87CF-EAD215E8A5F1.jpeg

AF8D8986-B991-4017-844C-5E2013C97471.jpeg
E535BDA6-AEA6-4A5A-BAE1-F08B3599B0CA.jpeg
F7322BCC-0CF2-48C0-B0CC-F32BCA71314C.jpeg
92E67A04-F157-4DF9-AAE5-49A985DA0200.jpeg
2E2C0F9D-5503-4F3A-A1DB-4FB638BDC1FF.jpeg
028104C5-0FBC-477B-AFE1-23351BDE4DE3.jpeg

Divide by 10ish to get USD and no sales taxes or VAT on the island. Not great, but then again given where Svalbard is, and the fact that its Europe, not the worst either. Didn’t get a chance to see what ammo prices were.

Sadly I only discovered that tourists could get firearms permits way too late (approx 5 week processing time), otherwise I would’ve got one before my trip, would’ve been cool to have a permit from there even if I wasn’t going to use it. Rental rates were about $150 USD/week for a bolt action 30-06 rifle, $200/week for an AR and $100/week for a flare gun. Not that I was going to venture outside the village limits on my own on my first trip there, but good to know that options exists.

Last edited:
Spent a week on Baffin Island in the early 80s. The park ranger who flew us in on a twin engine Otter asked us if we had any firearms. We said no as they were prohibited by law on the island. He gave us a revolver in a shoulder sling and said if a polar bear comes after us, we might it handy. One shot to scare the bear off and 4 if it didn’t scare, he said. We never saw one.

A .357 seems a little light to me. I’m sure it could do the trick with the right placement but I like something a bit more substantial when spending time in grizzly territory.

Back
Top Bottom