Poison ivy what’s your cure?

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
i've been lucky so far but my buddys wife smears honey on their kids when they get it. does it work? dunno!
Then she stakes them to an ant hill. Amazingly, the PI becomes a non-issue.

Benadryl makes a clear liquid. It has worked for me every time.

Dave
Same. I haven't gotten bad PI since I was a kid.

As far as this thread: 75% if how to get it off of you. For the OP, that ship has sailed. But it is important to GET IT OFF OF YOU! Washcloth, wash the clothes, avoid, wear long tight layers, gloves, don't touch any part - trunk and roots as well, don't FREAKING BURN THE STUFF IN A BONFIRE! Do all of that and you should be good. LOL

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to get some form of poison ivy every year. I'm highly susceptible to it, to the point that if I walk close enough to a plant on a humid day I can catch it. Got it once inside my ear. That was hell. Always used a combo of benadryl and calamine lotion, which kind of works, but I'll test out these new options I've read here for when I inevitably get it again this summer.

On a separate note, fresh yellow mango skin has the same active ingredient that is found in poison ivy. Found that one out the hard way. Looked like the joker for a week, and also managed to get it on my junk too from taking a leak after eating the mangos.

millbilly

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I get it all the time. Usually I just ride it out. If it's bad I've used these prednisone self application swipes that come in a red packaging from cvs.

powerman

NES Member
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
2. Jewel weed. Grind it up in a blender with enough water to make a thick liquid. Steep on the stove for a couple minutes. Cool.
The strained liquid will eases the itch on contact. A
What part of the plant do you use? the flower, the plant, the whole thing?

JDL

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Jewel weed unfortunately it is too early in the season to find it growing. This is going to sound crazy, however I had a case of poison something and nothing would help. Someone told me that there grandmother used to rub an onion onto the area effected and this would work to stop the itching and would help clear it up quickly. I tried this remedy cutting an onion in half and squeezing the juice and rubbing the onion onto the effective area. I think I had to do this twice or maybe three times a day. This worked and cleared it up in three days. The down side is you smell like onion.

Ski

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Agree on the very hot water soaking..
Had it recently between fingers which would flare up at night time...
First hot as you can handle, then rubbing alcohol then cold water to shock the nerve endings...keep dry as possible.

Last edited:

Jarcese

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually let it run it's course, but last year I worked on a site for two days that had been cleared of brush. Vegitation guy told us as we were leaving that it was all poison ivey that was cleared and the oil covered everything including material we layed down. We all got it bad and it ended up leading to a badly swolen leg and cellulitus for me. It still itches from the damage is caused.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Worth a watch. I’ve shared this video many times.

View: https://youtu.be/4oyoDRHpQK0
I can't stress this one enough.

I've dealt with and eradicated most of the poison ivy on my property (probably 1/2 an acre of it) and I was a victim of the rash many times.
This video was eye opening for me and I've never gotten poison ivy since.

So for those who are currently affected...you may still have the Urushiol on you. So make sure you get it off. Make that a priority.
If it doesn't get better go see a Dr. Like others have said. Prednisone or some other steroid.

BlackwaterFence

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I keep a bottle of Technu in the truck. If I find that I am in contact with poison ivy, wash with that. It helps remove the oils. If I end up with it, I wash with laundry bar soap called Fels Naptha

TLB

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I seem to get some form of poison ivy every year. I'm highly susceptible to it, to the point that if I walk close enough to a plant on a humid day I can catch it. Got it once inside my ear. That was hell. Always used a combo of benadryl and calamine lotion, which kind of works, but I'll test out these new options I've read here for when I inevitably get it again this summer.

On a separate note, fresh yellow mango skin has the same active ingredient that is found in poison ivy. Found that one out the hard way. Looked like the joker for a week, and also managed to get it on my junk too from taking a leak after eating the mangos.
FYI, I think the mango danger is actually from the hairs on the pit. But, YMMV.

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, I think the mango danger is actually from the hairs on the pit. But, YMMV.
No, definitely the skin. Also on the leaves and even bark if you happen to come across a tree. The all contain urushiol, which is the active chemical that creates the skin reaction, same in poison ivy. The fruit's flesh and pit are usually fine, unless contaminated by the person handling cutting it.

TLB

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No, definitely the skin. Also on the leaves and even bark if you happen to come across a tree. The all contain urushiol, which is the active chemical that creates the skin reaction, same in poison ivy. The fruit's flesh and pit are usually fine, unless contaminated by the person handling cutting it.
Interesting, did not realize that.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Jewel weed unfortunately it is too early in the season to find it growing. This is going to sound crazy, however I had a case of poison something and nothing would help. Someone told me that there grandmother used to rub an onion onto the area effected and this would work to stop the itching and would help clear it up quickly. I tried this remedy cutting an onion in half and squeezing the juice and rubbing the onion onto the effective area. I think I had to do this twice or maybe three times a day. This worked and cleared it up in three days. The down side is you smell like onion.
Maybe 40-50 years ago my brother went through a pearl onion phase. He'd boil up a can of them and eat them, couple three times a day. After like a month of this he smelled HORRIBLE. Bad enough that many decades later your comment was enough to bring back shockingly clear memories. OMG it was awful.

Uzi2

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I went out the other day and checked out my jewelweed patches, they are growing nicely and are almost twice as large area wise as last year. They should start flowering in a coulple of weeks, then will be harvesting some and making jewelweed tea(topical, not ingestible).
It works on insect bites also.

Worth planting some if you can't find any around your AO.

ProGun

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I never got it, even as a kid, and we all spent alot of time in the woods. I've wondered if I'm one of the lucky few that is immune. I'm not willing to try to find out, because it might just be dumb luck!

Top Bottom