1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Poison ivy what’s your cure?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by radioman, Apr 27, 2019.

1. EC1

EC1 NES Member

used to use something call Ivy Dry after applying a hot compress (as hot as I could stand it).

2. Enzo

Enzo NES Member

A pair of pliers and a blowtorch.

Aaron[MA], Picton and tuna like this.
  3. kevin9

kevin9

Hot soak/compress with Domeboro powder solution does good job of drying out the rash and blisters, and soothing the itch. Swimming in a well chlorinated pool also works. Astringent creams can help with the rash and blisters, but not so much with the itch.

4. dhuze

dhuze NES Member

An island surrounded by land on three sides
    I am incredibly allergic to Poison Ivy. I get it in my eyes if I see a picture of it.

The above info is pretty good. Don't buy any other crap except the Domeboro. Nothing else does anything worth a shit.

If it's bad go see a doctor. They'll give you a shot and put you on a dose of steroids. If they don't mention a prescription for itching ask for it. They have a pill that is amazing to stop the itching.
    The only place I haven't had poison ivy on my body is.. no place. The bottoms of my feet and on my junk are my two favorite places.

Oh and another trick I use is to scratch the shit out of it until it hurts and bleeds. Pain is much easier to deal with than itching.

Michael J. Spangler likes this.
  5. sharona

sharona NES Member

Bentonite clay seems to dry it up quicker then some of the over the counter stuff I used. Good luck

6. Cowgirlup

Cowgirlup NES Member

Another vote for Jewelweed. Not sure if it's growing yet but it always works better than anything i can buy when I get poison ivy.

Michael J. Spangler likes this.
  7. xtry51

xtry51

Prednisone and oatmeal soap. Lather soap heavily on location and let dry.

I'm also very allergic. I always need prednisone.

8. DitchDigger

DitchDigger NES Member

Gasoline

ILikeGlocks likes this.
  9. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

Jewelweed can also be used as a pre treatment by crumbling up the plant and rubbing the juices on your exposed skin.

tuna likes this.
  10. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

I don't usually get it all that bad, but if I do manage to catch a rashion of poison ivy, my usual treatment for it is to wait it out.

11. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

Since [pics],

Poison Ivy (1992):

[​IMG]

ISOTOX likes this.
  12. dingbat

dingbat NES Member

Like others have mentioned, dish washing liquid head to toe in the shower whenever I've been working around it, and if I do get some, run it under water as hot as I can stand. The heat breaks down the hystamines. It will itch like blue blazes for a hot minute but then go away entirely, often long enough to fall asleep if I do it right before climbing in bed.

13. Racenet

Racenet NES Member

Calamine lotion is what I've found works the best. Stops the itch, drys it up and breaks down the oils that causes it all.
    Have been using it for a very long time with great success.

14. Wickedcoolname

Wickedcoolname NES Member

The oil from the plant is like axel grease on your skin. The most important thing if you know you came in contact is to really scrub it off with damp rags. Soap can help but really scrubbing and getting the oil off is the most effective way to avoid the rash. Everything else is just mostly futile attempts to sooth the rash. Just treat your exposed skin like you just cleaned the soot out of a coal chimney. Scrub every inch and imagine you're wiping off greasy soot. If done correctly there should be no rash. But if you missed some spots treat the rash with sweet fern. If you're an outdoorsman you've seen it. If not Google it. Brew the plant like tea and scrub the hot tea on the rash. The itching stops instantly and the rash will be scabs for a few days and then gone.

Aaron[MA] and Brewer like this.
  15. ktugboat42

ktugboat42 NES Member

Technu before working near poison ivy to try and prevent it and then a shower using Dawn.
    If i still get it, then run the hottest water possible and scrub with a paste made from dawn and baking soda.
    Repeat when you start itching again.

16. Zappa

Zappa Road Warrior NES Member

One way to stop the scratching is by wearing boxing gloves. [wink]

Funny true story about a "grandmas home remedy".
    I used to work with guy named Monty (now deceased), he grew up in West Virginia and had all kinds of hillbilly wisdom. One Summer night he worked an accident that went off the road into the woods, he dragged out the cable and chains, crawled under the car and attached them, then winched the car out. Yes, he was wearing shorts and a short sleeve shirt. Next day he comes to work covered in PI and pink Calamine lotion. He knew I was a reloader and asked me for some gunpowder. "OK, what kind ?", he said his grandmother used to cut open shotgun shells, so he wanted a flake powder. The next day I gave him a film container (remember those?) full of Red Dot, which he mixed with the Calamine lotion and applied to the affected areas. (WTF ???) This was his grandmothers cure, allegedly the gunpowder speeds up the healing. After seeing this, me and the other guys were laughing our asses off, because his already pink limbs now sported black and red polka dots too.
    You should have seen him run when me and Jimmy were chasing him around the towyard with Bic lighters.

[rofl][rofl][rofl]

Cur, Racenet, gscott and 6 others like this.
  17. Jason m

Jason m NES Member

I mix up a salt and water to make a paste, smear paste all over the area and wait till it drys. Worked fine in the past, but next time I am going to try Jewel weed first.

18. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

Wrong color!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

namedpipes likes this.
  19. Brewer

Brewer NES Life Member NES Member

Any detergent like dish soap, heavy scrubbing as if removing invisible axel grease, hot laundry for all clothes and bedsheets. If a limited surface area and not on face a topical steroid will reduce your skin’s reaction while you get the oil off. Hydrocortisone 1% is the best you can get OTC, which is weak sauce. Someone might prescribe hydrocortisone 2%, hardly better. Triamcinolone is the next step up. But I’d specifically request clobetasol ointment — the nuclear option of topical steroids. But you shouldn’t use steroids on the face as it’s prone to scarring, especially stronger ones. If facial involvement or too much surface area you’re well served with oral steroids.

20. Lank

Lank NES Member

With previous bouts of insane poison ivy episodes I have gone for long swims in the ocean. It seemed to help temporarily from what I recall.

21. tuna

tuna NES Member

Whenever I find jewel weed, I figure I’ve been in poison ivy, so I grab a handful and rub on exposed skin. Been ivy free for almost a decade.

22. Dadstoys

Dadstoys NES Member

Don't forget the clothes you were wearing when you came in contact either.
    The oil will stay on them and cause more issues.
    Wash them good or toss them.

23. Live-a-Little

Live-a-Little NES Member

24. FisherTech

FisherTech

Folks, The old clean up for Poison Ivy, is FellsNaptha Soap. It still can be found. It is a heavy Lye Based soap.

doxdsgn likes this.
  25. ASHDUMP

ASHDUMP NES Member

Aaron[MA] likes this.
  26. ront02769

ront02769 NES Member

Didn’t read the string. Hottest water yuo can stand will exhaust the histamines in 5he area and give you temp relief. Shot of steroids from the doc will handle the rest.

27. Aaron[MA]

Aaron[MA] NES Member

Already had some myself this year. Fairly mild case and only got it on my arms between my gloves and short sleeve t.

For me, no products do much once I've got it, so I just scratch it, squeeze every bump until I break skin and it oozes and wait for it to run its course. Hot water can be a slight temporary distraction but that's about it.

Someone else mentioned it, but I'll re-recommend that you put some gloves on and use some solvent (rubbing alcohol, gas, acetone, depending on the material) to clean any tools or equipment you were using, so you don't get the urishiol on you again.

28. Individualist

Individualist NES Member

29. desertr8der

desertr8der NES Member

Didn't read thru all responses. There's stuff called Zanfel that's worked pretty well for me since I knew it existed. It's a real gritty paste you rub directly on the affected area that helps wash out the urishiol which is the sht that spreads it n causes the itch. Feels great too as it's scratching with a purpose!

30. Skeeter

Skeeter