Poison ivy what’s your cure?

radioman

NES Member
Rating - 96%
24   1   0
The thread title says it all. I have a bad case of poison ivy or some other poison plant and all the drugstore cures are giving me no relief from the itching. I don’t know the type of plant I got into but I think it was the vines I was removing. There were no leaves present on anything so I couldn’t identify what I was working with. Been working in that same yard for six months or more with no trouble so it had to be just a local spot of the stuff. Does anyone have a homemade remedy from their grandmother or something like that? My next step is diving into a bathtub full of calamine lotion. I’ve tried Benadryl both topical and pills does very little tried the Sarna lotion does very little. Believe it or not what has given me the best relief though still very little is the Burt’s Bees body lotion? I guess it keeps the skin from drying out? I have no idea why it gives some relief, I don’t care right now I’m just glad it does something. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

P.S.— if someone comes up with something that actually works I’ll throw them a karma from my box of unused gun goodies. I think I have a few cheap scopes, maybe an AR carry handle, and some other cool stuff that I’ll give the winning alchemist their choice of, if they come up with a potion that actually works.

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
i've been lucky so far but my buddys wife smears honey on their kids when they get it. does it work? dunno!

Michael J. Spangler

NES Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I get it something fierce and it’s very oozy and nasty.
2 of the top at home solutions from someone who has spent many a paycheck trying to deal with it.
Nothing beats steroids but these are my favorite for dealing with the itch and oozing

1. Domeboro solution. Use as directed. This will dry out the ooze in no time flat. It’s a god send

2. Jewel weed. Grind it up in a blender with enough water to make a thick liquid. Steep on the stove for a couple minutes. Cool.
The strained liquid will eases the itch on contact. As stated above my ivy always oozes really bad. I used the purée like a poultice and let it dry on my arm. Maybe 2 layers thick.
This will stop the itching and keep it from oozing until washed off. You have to shower and seriously soak to get that stuff to come off. Works like a charm.

Not sure if either of these will speed up the healing time but I have read that the jewelweed will.

Also jewelweed is usually found growing right beside the poison ivy plants.

Dan-o

NES Member
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Think it has to run its course. I am very sensitive to poison ivy, I have found washing with Dawn DW detergent has worked great when I think(even remotely) I’ve come in contact with it. I haven’t had a bad case in many years. I’ve read any degreaser type soap works to minimize the effects.

Michael J. Spangler

NES Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I agree with the good degreaser type soap or a scrub with cold water and rubbing alcohol on a rag in the shower if you even think you came in contact.
Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hairy looking vines are usually poison ivy...stay away.

But there is a surprising amount of poison sumac around here, and most people do not know what it looks like. It looks like a "normal" tree with green leaves....

poison sumac

Demoman

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Rubbing alcohol does the trick for me wipe it off and it dries it out. I keep a bottle in my truck I look at ivy and brake out. Been in the hospital 4 times cause the stuff .

rocket500

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Go to the doc and get a prescription for a steroid cream. It will kick its ass. I have it for eczema but it crushes poison ivy too.

hijinx

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
My son has it on his face. Took him to the doc because of how close it was to his eye. Prednisone pills and it has gone down very quickly. Seems to stop the itching as well.

loonski

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
We used to use a rag soaked with gas when I was a kid, my neighbor still swears by it but I haven't done it in years.

Top Bottom