poison ivy fun

ASHDUMP

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You can buy Zanfel at CVS..... Its expensive but works. The mean green I heard is the same thing but not advertised for poisen ivy

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Advil + benadryl is pretty effective at supressing the itch.

Steroid will knock it out completely and quickly.

djmefitz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
As one who gets it often here is a temporary relief. Either use the shower or tub and spray as hot as water as you can on the infected areas. It will itch like crazy at first, then you will have relief gor 1-2 hours. Your body will release antihistamines naturally to combat the itch. Repeat as often as necessary.

PATRON

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 99%
94   1   1
As long as you don't get it on your junk.I remember when I was in the Boy Scouts,and got a bad case of poison junk.They should have had a merit badge for that.

Tackdriver

NES Member
Rating - 99.7%
309   1   0
Benadryl makes a clear liquid medicine you put on the wounds. Is is less than $10 and gives almost instant relief. I get affected almost every year and sometimes over large parts of the body. I swear by the stuff. I think I get it at cvs but other places have it also.

Dave

GaryO

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
The worst case of poison ivy I ever saw was when my wife had it. It became open runny sores within 2 days, it looked like radiation poisoning. She went to the doctor for a prescription and they told her something must have compromised her immune system... 2 weeks later she was diagnosed with breast cancer.

Michael J. Spangler

NES Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
look up jewel weed.
Probably grows right beside the poison ivy. Grind it up in a blender with some water. Make a paste.
Apply that to the rash. Or there are some instructions online to basically do the same thing but simmer with some water. Use the liquid to treat the rash. I really does work.
I get poison ivy worse than anyone I know. Nothing really helps except for the steroids and if the rash is oozing look for a product called Domeboro at CVS. that helps dry it up.
I was blown away at how well the jewel weed relieved the itch though. It was immediate

dhuze

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
An island surrounded by land on three sides
When I get it bad on my lower legs I would scratch the shit out of it until it bled. At that point it hurt and that I can deal with.
If it's bad enough, go to your doctor. He will shoot you up with some shit and probably prescribe a regimen of steroids. Also see if he will give you a prescription for anti itch medicine. I never knew it existed until one day I had my legs covered in the shit and a Dr in Tennessee prescribed it to me. It worked pretty damned quick and I was pissed that for all the years when I was young I never got it.
I think I can get Poison Ivy from pictures of it.

Now on to the revenge part. Buy this shit and kill it all.

headednorth

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
You can buy Zanfel at CVS..... Its expensive but works. The mean green I heard is the same thing but not advertised for poisen ivy
Have it currently on my forearms. Landscaper bud recommended Zanfel. Said the same, expensive but it works. Mine isn't too bad so I'm just using anti itch cream and waiting it out.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
take them anally and they work even better...you have to rub the poison ivy leaves over the pills prior to insertion to get the full effect.
actually, the suppositories work the fastest. they keep them behind the counter though, so you'll have to ask for them.

Aaron[MA]

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I am at the point where I think it is entirely reasonable to saw off my lower legs to stop the itching. Thoughts?
Scratch it?

Seriously, as long as you've washed away the plant oil (urishiol) that causes the rash, I don't see the harm in scratching

I too swear i can get the rash from pictures, or even just thinking about PI...

I pop every blister I can reach and wash them with rubbing alcohol.

I have Technu and Mean Green, but those are both more for helping to get the urishiol off your skin after initial contact. I've never noticed much itching relief from them in any chemical way, but both have pumice in them, so you're kinda scratching your itch as you rub them over the rash.

As someone else mentioned, the hottest water i can stand running over the rash does something for me as well.

We just bought a new house a month ago, and I found a sh*t ton of PI all around the edge of the cleared land and just beyond the tree line. Actually it found me first after an afternoon pulling weeds and vines and cutting brush.

I bought a $20 sprayer at HD and did 2 rounds of spraying. First time was with mix with a gallon of vinegar, a cup of salt and 10 drops of Dawn. I only gave it 3 or 4 days to work, but it seemed to be killing everything I saturated with it. Of course that wasn't good enough or fast enough for me so I got the Ortho Tough Brush PI product someone posted above. That was about a week ago and that stuff def works; I have wilted and browning PI all over the place now.

Wickedcoolname

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sweetfern. Pick it, steep it like tea and rub the tea on the rash. Stops itching immediately and dries the rash up in a day or so. Google it. If you've ever been outside you've seen it growing. Looks a bit like marijuana.

Rating - 95.8%
23   1   0
I usually itch the crap out of it to pop the bubbles then clean really good with alcohol. I have been told to clean with acetone sense it dries the skin out but never tried it. The best solution would have been to not walk through it with shorts on though. [thinking]

Michael J. Spangler

NES Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Aaron[MA];5599124 said:
Scratch it?

Seriously, as long as you've washed away the plant oil (urishiol) that causes the rash, I don't see the harm in scratching

I too swear i can get the rash from pictures, or even just thinking about PI...

I pop every blister I can reach and wash them with rubbing alcohol.

I have Technu and Mean Green, but those are both more for helping to get the urishiol off your skin after initial contact. I've never noticed much itching relief from them in any chemical way, but both have pumice in them, so you're kinda scratching your itch as you rub them over the rash.

As someone else mentioned, the hottest water i can stand running over the rash does something for me as well.

We just bought a new house a month ago, and I found a sh*t ton of PI all around the edge of the cleared land and just beyond the tree line. Actually it found me first after an afternoon pulling weeds and vines and cutting brush.

I bought a $20 sprayer at HD and did 2 rounds of spraying. First time was with mix with a gallon of vinegar, a cup of salt and 10 drops of Dawn. I only gave it 3 or 4 days to work, but it seemed to be killing everything I saturated with it. Of course that wasn't good enough or fast enough for me so I got the Ortho Tough Brush PI product someone posted above. That was about a week ago and that stuff def works; I have wilted and browning PI all over the place now.

Scratching can actually cause issues.
look up skin infections from scratching. Depending how bad the rash is, like open sores you can get some nasty bacterial in there from under your nails. Not good.

dhuze

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
An island surrounded by land on three sides
As long as you don't get it on your junk.I remember when I was in the Boy Scouts,and got a bad case of poison junk.They should have had a merit badge for that.
Yeah I've had that.

I've also had it on the bottoms of my feet more than once. You only end up with one blister, unfortunately it is the size of the bottom of your feet. It hurts and you crawl around on your hands and knees.

Top Bottom