Pocket Semi Auto

I have problems racking the slide on semi autos - any one here owns an AMT Backup - I found one in .45 Cal. on Gunbroker. Has any one here handled, fired one of these babies - is it dependable, hard to rack the slide ?... tell me about it. I need to find an easy to rack pocket pistol. I found plenty in .380 - but I rather not go with that round, unless there is a desirable .380 ammo for it (?).... any other ideas besides the AMT? Thanks.

Pete

I always thought the Colt Pony (IIRC) in .380 was a nice little pocket back-up and I believe Cor-Bon makes a nice performing little round for it.

I guess I should have asked what makes it difficult for you to rack the slide on a semi-auto. The smaller guns can be tough because there is less to grasp but have weaker springs. The bigger ones are vice-versa. You can lighten some recoil springs that may help.

My AMT DAO 45 is stiffer than my Gvt mdl 1911a1. Also, the little thing prefers either FMJ or Pow'rBall ammo. But then, I like Pow'rBall ammo too, so it's OK.

From the MidwayUSA & Natchez ads, I believe the Corbon 380+P loads are a bit hotter than 38 Spl standard loads.

380 ACP +P loads
Magtech 380 +P: Muzzle Velocity: 1082 fps Muzzle Energy: 221 ft. lbs.
Corbon 380 Auto +P 90gr, JHP , MV: 1050 fps ME: 220 ft.lbs
Pow'rBall 380 AUTO 70GR MV: 1250FPS

Standard 380 ACP high-end hollow point loads:
Speer GoldDot 380ACP: MV: 950 fps ME: 190 ft.lb
Rem Golden Sabre: MV: 940 fps ME: 200 ft. lbs.

Standard 38 Special loads
Federal American Eagle 38Spl: MV: 950 fps ME: 260 ft. lbs.
Win White Box 38 Spl(125 gr JFP): MV: 850 fps ME: 201 ft-lbs

I shot an AMT 45 once. Pulling the trigger required a vice, a tree, a stout cable, and a come-along.

Ok, it wasn't quite that bad. But it was far above 10 lbs. Nasty, nasty gun.

I love my Kahr MK9, but the slide is rather stiff.

You might look for a Colt 380 Govt. Model. The slide is pretty easy.

I just picked up an AMT Backup 380 this past Tuesday. Can't speak about reliabilty, but it is not the easiest pistol to rack the slide and the trigger pull is around 14 lbs. Shot it the day I bought it, my finger hurt from pulling the trigger[crying]. I bought the gun as an addition to my collection. I really can't recomend anything since I am fairly new to the sport, but I will be watching this thread to learn more. I like small pistols!![smile]

M1911 said:
I shot an AMT 45 once. Pulling the trigger required a vice, a tree, a stout cable, and a come-along.

Ok, it wasn't quite that bad. But it was far above 10 lbs. Nasty, nasty gun.

I love my Kahr MK9, but the slide is rather stiff.

You might look for a Colt 380 Govt. Model. The slide is pretty easy.

Very TRUE! The ONLY safety on the DAO is the very stiff trigger pull. IMHO, it is a great last-ditch, SHTF belly gun. If you want something pleasant to shoot, try the Colt, Beretta or SIG 380s. Does the S&W PPK qualify for MA?

Pete,

You need to really tell us what you want the pistol for? Deep concealment? Target? Concealed carry? etc.

There is another thread here on the AMT Backup and it wasn't favorable! I owned one of the first OMC (1st company name) Backups in .380. I used to shoot 50-100 rds every week with that beast. It was brutal with ~15# trigger pull and a very tough slide. I bought a PPK/s (German made) and stopped shooting/carrying the Backup back in the late 1970s! I never looked back. I put it on consignment at a buddy's shop and finally sold it for dirt. M1911 is telling it like it is.

My Wife has carpal tunnel and trigger finger in both hands. She also couldn't operate the slide on anything that I owned. She tried a Glock 17 (9mm) and found that it fit her hand well, didn't beat her up, and she could rack the slide consistently. Guess what she bought? [wink]

I bought the G22 (.40S&W) and like it. When we resolve the MA warranty issues with Glock, I expect to buy a G23 (compact .40S&W) for CCW.

The G17s and G22s are quite reasonable at Four Seasons ($399 for refurbs). G23s are basically obscenely priced unless you are LE in MA, thanks to Herr Reilly!

Pete,

You will find most small semi auto's in 45ACP have real heavy recoil springs. Keeps them from beating themselves to death.

AMT is no different in any caliber. Stiff spring, heavy trigger pull (necessary in a true pocket gun) and not easy to shoot.

I'm still stuck on Js.

Regards,
Gary

feiertag-smiley-013.gif

Colt Mustang Pocketlite is a terrific pocket auto...very light, little recoil.
I've carried one for 10+ years now...

The AMT backup (any caliber) is just that, a backup gun. I have the 45 and 380. I think the 380 is a great pocket gun!! It does have a heavy trigger pull, but I want it to. I don't want something with a 4lb trigger pull bouncing around in my pocket. Cargo shorts, the 380 and summer time, a perfect mix!!! Believe it or not my 380 is pretty accurate (or I am just a fantasic shooter)...

The 45 is a "Oops I dropped it... Oh well" gun in heavy caliber!!! I throw it in my pocket if I'm walking out in the woods.

It all depends on what you are going to use it for and how much you want to spend!!!

wchandler said:
The AMT backup (any caliber) is just that, a backup gun. I have the 45 and 380. I think the 380 is a great pocket gun!! It does have a heavy trigger pull, but I want it to. I don't want something with a 4lb trigger pull bouncing around in my pocket. Cargo shorts, the 380 and summer time, a perfect mix!!! Believe it or not my 380 is pretty accurate (or I am just a fantasic shooter)...

The 45 is a "Oops I dropped it... Oh well" gun in heavy caliber!!! I throw it in my pocket if I'm walking out in the woods.

It all depends on what you are going to use it for and how much you want to spend!!!

Completely agree. The DAO isn't my only 45, but it is the one I am most likely to carry on a toss & go basis. Did learn though, that it is too heavy for some jacket pockets.

Thanks for your responses fellas - so far the AMT seems to be not for me. I want this gun as a concealed carry. What I'm looking at now is either the S&W990L or the Para "Carry" model. According to the information I gathered, the Para is easier to rack and has a light, smooth trigger pull, but on the heavy side, 30 oz... and pricey. I'll keep on checking. Again, thanks.

Pete

Get yourself a snubby, and get yourself into Michael DeBethencourt's course. It is called Mastering the Defensive Snub Revolver. His school is Northeast Tactical Schools.

Fantastic!

WChandler - Good looking Para you have there, but a bit larger than the "carry" - Thanks.

Cross-X - I have no problem "handling" the snub, is the "carrying" which is problematic for me. Thanks.

Pete

For a very small semi-auto pocket pistol, I highly recommend the Seecamp. The machining, fit, and finish are things of beauty, and it is as reliable as a rock.

oldfella said:
Thanks for your responses fellas - so far the AMT seems to be not for me. I want this gun as a concealed carry. What I'm looking at now is either the S&W990L or the Para "Carry" model. According to the information I gathered, the Para is easier to rack and has a light, smooth trigger pull, but on the heavy side, 30 oz... and pricey. I'll keep on checking. Again, thanks.

Pete
I had the chance to shoot a friends C6 Carry Para. It is a real sweet shooting semi. I do not remember the slide as being easy to operate, but you know how the old memory is.

Gary

Jumping in on the thread a little late, but how about a Glock 26 or 27? Its about the same size as my J-frame, athough the thickness of the cylinder for the whole gun. Probably tough for pocket carry though and equally tough to find one in Mass...

I think I'm backing off the Para "carry"; and I did own both the Glock 26 and 27...now I'm going to look into the S&W990L, maybe that one will fit the bill... if not, I'll just have to stay with my S&W J- Frame (640)... incidentally, I wonder why I'm not getting response notification emails.. I most not have punched the right button (?)

The SIGP232 is a sweet pistol. I have two!! Quite concealable, ergonomically better than the PPK, but that depends on your stance, lighter than the PPK, and VERY accurate!! I can group chest groupings at 25yds without a problem! Shot a chipmunk at 25yds+ once too!

Anyone know for sure if the 380+P loads are safe in the P232? Never tried them. It's a SIG, so I would assume it would be fine, but would hate to wreck a pistol! My feeling on the .380 is that it is better to carry something comfortable all the time and have it, than be choosy because yer gun is too heavy or uncomfortable and not have it when you need it. Those Kahr PM series pistols are interesting. Small. Mixed reviews of reliability, but not sure really how they are NOW. I was looking at the PM9, but KTP did not have one in stock, then I looked at the PPK and P232 and feel in love with the P232 for a bunch of reasons!!! My wifey loves it too. Slide is easy for her, fits her hand, shoots great. I might need to get another just for her!

The 232 is a great gun. I have one myself and love it. I would assume the +p load would be ok, but not constanly shot! I would use it as a carry load only. You could call Sig and they would be able to tell you for sure!

My Keltec .32 says it can handle the +P's but it is not meant to be shot constantly and will ruin it!

The .380 is suppose to be a close range 9mm, so I feel comfortable using it as a carry load. Keeping in mind you could take someone out with a properely placed .22 shot!!!!

WChandler - I selected the "immediate notification" but still no emails (?)

Curlymaple42 - Interesting about the SIG P232, I'll have to look into it. About the Khar pistol, I did own an MK9 Elite wit factory installed night sights and wood grips - I think it's a work of art and it performed very well, but too hard for me to rack the slide... I sold it at a big loss.

Back
Top Bottom