Pocket knife with blade 2.5” or less.

ront02769

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my daughter who is 27, has crewed on a tall ship, taught sailing, diving, kayaking, etc.....and through all has carried her pacific salt on her, jeans, gym shorts, jogging, at the office, on dates, wherever. She is now in a situation where the beloved 3” blade will no longer be welcome.
For a large portion of her day .....so she is on the hunt for a “conforming” EDC. What do yuo all have for solutions? The Salt will still be good for the adventure sport stuff.."so the new one won’t be used around the waterfront. Thanks!!!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spyderco Dragonfly Salt or Ladybug Salt are less than 2.5" and still have the Spyderco feel and saltwater resistant blades.

M60

NES Member
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I carry a 2 1/2 ", Buck 292A. Very quick to open . Just barely touch the tab on the blade and it springs open. Ma. legal. Even has a safety lock. About $65.00.

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98.1%
52   1   0
I carry a Kershaw Leek, 2-13/16" (I just measured it) blade everywhere I go and don't give it a second thought. I wouldn't stress over it in idiotic places like Boston, just go about your business and don't do anything stupid.

-B-

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check the language of what determines what is a blade I know in Lynn it is 2.5 but the blade is defined as the sharpened portion of a knife

Randy Lahey

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So, my daughter who is 27, has crewed on a tall ship, taught sailing, diving, kayaking, etc.....and through all has carried her pacific salt on her, jeans, gym shorts, jogging, at the office, on dates, wherever. She is now in a situation where the beloved 3” blade will no longer be welcome.
For a large portion of her day .....so she is on the hunt for a “conforming” EDC. What do yuo all have for solutions? The Salt will still be good for the adventure sport stuff.."so the new one won’t be used around the waterfront. Thanks!!!
Ti or CF neck knife? This is from Fred Perrin.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I carry a Kershaw Leek, 2-13/16" (I just measured it) blade everywhere I go and don't give it a second thought. I wouldn't stress over it in idiotic places like Boston, just go about your business and don't do anything stupid.
I brought a Kershaw Leek to sea once. It's a nice knife but one salting and it spotted pretty noticibly. Vs my Delica 4s which all still look brand new but got the snot worked out of them.

My only complaint about the dragonfly's is they didn't come in combo edge (my favorite) at the time.

I would suggest sticking with Spyderco as if it's going to be a working blade it will work. The pocket clips bent on two of mine. One caught in the edge of a wire basket when I was loading a shipping container and bent enough to be meh.

The other one. Well not sure what happened but I carried the bruise around for almost a month though the knife is still straight and locks up fine.

I replaced both belt clips with the wire clips from the sage line. They hold just as well and blend in better in an office environment.

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
How do you measure the blade anyway?

The distance from the tip to where it is no longer sharp?

Or from the handle to the tip?

Sometimes there is space between the handle and the sharp portion that extends the entirety of the blade out farther even though that part is not sharp.

Tinkermatic

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
How do you measure the blade anyway?

The distance from the tip to where it is no longer sharp?

Or from the handle to the tip?

Sometimes there is space between the handle and the sharp portion that extends the entirety of the blade out farther even though that part is not sharp.
My understanding has always been the blade is tip to handle. The sharpened portion of the blade is the cutting edge. You can get more or less cutting edge depending on things like choils or finger grooves.
Considering the industry terminology matches that of the laws, it’s my belief that you would be hard pressed to prove otherwise. IANAL

Tinkermatic

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
73503F6A-7CF1-4E66-BBB9-7AEFD9594941.png

Technical specs from the Spyderco website on the ‘lil native I posted above. The cutting edge is just above 2” on that 2-1/2” blade.

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I'm seeing more and more knives out there with blade length of 2.9".
marketing. they're targeting customers where the law prohibits a 3" blade. you see very few knives being sold with blade lengths that are 3", 2.5" because of local knife laws (internationally & u.s.) that prohibit them and restricts the market, so the manufacturer backs the blade length back an ~1/8". I know that's why spyderco does it and I can only assume that's why most of the big boy manufacturers do it. just smart business. but be warned, any local law enforcement agency can, and has been known to, measure blade length differently than a manufacturer does.

Top Bottom