Pocket Carry

Anyone out there pocket carrying?
I was over at a friends house, and I felt super uncomfortable sitting on the couch, knowingly sweeping with my pocket carry (G43) - even though I know guns just don't "go off". I found myself sitting my leg crossed, as not to be sweeping anyone. When I IWB carry my G19, it's at my 4 o'clock, so it's straight down, more or less.
But back to the basic rules of gun safety, ya know, never point it at something you don't intend to destroy..?
The only thing in my pocket, is my gun, sticky holster, and my pocket knife - but I'm thinking about moving the pocket knife even.. I don't want ANYTHING finger ****ing the trigger guard; but even then - what if the holster starts to go soft - material starts to wedge itself? Are there kydex pocket carry holsters?

Thoughts? Anyone else run into the same concerns? Tips?

Am I just over thinking this?

Iv pocket carried my G42 for months in the cheap Uncle Mikes pocket holster with a piece of kydex I cut that fits right in the holster with the gun. I have no worries it will ever go off. I did have a solid kydex pocket holster but found it printed horribly in all but the most baggy shorts.

When I do pocket carry, it is with my LCP in a pocket holster in my right ass pocket. I thought it would be uncomfortable to sit on, but surprisingly it's not.

I don't carry that gun all of the time, and it is always in jeans.

Pocket carry 90% of the time. A 442 or G33 in a Sticky pocket holster. No big deal.

If the knife is in the same pocket as the gun....move it

Take the holster and put it under something flat, that's heavy, for a couple of hours. The original shape comes back

Last edited:
I understand the "safety rules" WRT firearms BUT, this is a big BUT.. in practice there is no way to carry daily and not at some time point the gun at yourself or someone else. It's just a fact of life. Even if you carry OWB at 9:00 you would be muzzling people on the first floor while your on the second floor.

Therefore use this as your guide:

1. Use a good pocket holster ( Desantis nemesis or Mika come to mind)
2. Modern firearms can't go off unless the trigger is to the rear. Therefore, a holstered gun is a safe gun.
3. Gun manufactures don't stay in business very long making guns that go off by themselves.
4. Stop over thinking it.

+1

Therefore use this as your guide:

2. Modern firearms can't go off unless the trigger is to the rear. Therefore, a holstered gun is a safe gun.
3. Gun manufactures don't stay in business very long making guns that go off by themselves.
4. Stop over thinking it.[/QUOTE]

I've been carrying a Sig P238 almost exclusively for almost 8 months now always pocket carry and haven't had anything happen. In fact, much of the time, it's pocket carried, I'm either carrying bushels or rocks against it, or working in the garage. I make sure nothing else is in the pocket, even the days spare change, and the trigger is protected by a Remora holster. You'll still think about it at times, but I wouldn't worry too much.

Side note: not a huge fan of the remora.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pocket carry on a regular basis. I use a Mika pocket holster. Nothing else goes in that pocket. No, I'm not worried about where it is pointed. The holster prevents the trigger from getting pulled -- that is what the holster is for.

I've been carrying a Sig P238 almost exclusively for almost 8 months now always pocket carry and haven't had anything happen. In fact, much of the time, it's pocket carried, I'm either carrying bushels or rocks against it, or working in the garage. I make sure nothing else is in the pocket, even the days spare change, and the trigger is protected by a Remora holster. You'll still think about it at times, but I wouldn't worry too much.

Side note: not a huge fan of the remora.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This x2, same gun, x2 years. Just carry condition 3 or 4 or whatever it is with nothing in the pipe. It just makes your gun a hammer for an extra .75 seconds.

I pocket carry occasionally and have the same oncomfortable feelings you do, even though a holstered firearm is a safe firearm.

I have instead started carrying in my back pocket when need be and more often now carry AIWB in a Vedder holster which is working out great (plus MUCH quicker access than the pocket)

I pocket carry with a Remora. Nothing else ever in the same pocket. Remora is very sticky. I can move that to IWB while sitting if needed. They also make nice tuckable clip IWB and ankle holsters if you want to move it from your pocket to another location more securely.

This x2, same gun, x2 years. Just carry condition 3 or 4 or whatever it is with nothing in the pipe. It just makes your gun a hammer for an extra .75 seconds.

I did that the other day, but then I slapped myself in the face and told myself to get it together. Going forward, it'll be Condition 2 (or 1, however you want to look at it, on a Glock).
Pocket knife will be relocated.

Back pocket isn't really an option - it pokes out over the top of my pocket (surprisingly, I'm not really a small/short guy...)
The sticky holster is great - but I'll have to do some research on that Mika holster and the G43.

Thanks for all the good info folks.

4. Stop over thinking it.

Only thing I would add is; Don't fiddle with it.

As one of my first instructors told the class, if you drop it, just let it go. It is way more likely to go off from you trying to grab it than it is from hitting the ground.

When I do pocket carry, it is with my LCP in a pocket holster in my right ass pocket. I thought it would be uncomfortable to sit on, but surprisingly it's not.

I don't carry that gun all of the time, and it is always in jeans.

~35 yrs ago I did this with an OMC Backup .380 in the back right rear pocket . . . until one day I slipped on ice and fell on that back pocket/gun and decided it wasn't a real good idea to carry that way.

I pocket carry on a regular basis. I use a Mika pocket holster. Nothing else goes in that pocket. No, I'm not worried about where it is pointed. The holster prevents the trigger from getting pulled -- that is what the holster is for.

Best answer. I carried a 642 in a Mika pocket holster for a number of years, no issues. I will now carry a PM9 in a Mika pocket holster on those occasions that I have to be "dressed up" (suit and tie) only. Again no issues as long as NOTHING else is in the same pocket.

As pointed out above, if you are on an upper floor any gun even in a IWB/OWB holster is going to be pointed at someone in a floor below. Since guns don't go off by themselves, it is a non-issue as long as nothing gets in the trigger guard.

Only thing I would add is; Don't fiddle with it.

As one of my first instructors told the class, if you drop it, just let it go. It is way more likely to go off from you trying to grab it than it is from hitting the ground.

I met a guy out in Seattle at one of our Microsoft events . . . he had grabbed for his G17 as it fell and ended up blowing away his lower jaw. NOT recommended!!! bfm is right, let it go and it isn't likely to "go off" and injure you or someone else.

~35 yrs ago I did this with an OMC Backup .380 in the back right rear pocket . . . until one day I slipped on ice and fell on that back pocket/gun and decided it wasn't a real good idea to carry that way.

I was reading this description and I could feel the pain, but then......

I met a guy out in Seattle at one of our Microsoft events . . . he had grabbed for his G17 as it fell and ended up blowing away his lower jaw. NOT recommended!!! bfm is right, let it go and it isn't likely to "go off" and injure you or someone else.

I read this and I think I would take falling on the rear pocket holster over this any day. Wow. What bad luck.

Many will disagree, but if I pocket carry a striker fired pistol I leave the chamber empty. That's my personal choice, YRMV...

too funny. exact same thing happened to me, with the same gun! probably around the same time too!

Condition 2 in a pocket holster. Nothing else ever goes into that pocket (which is a PITA trying to figure out how to carry the rest of the EDC items).

It's one of those great advices that are impossible to follow. It's a natural reaction to try to catch whatever you drop. Of course, you can try to condition yourself by dropping your gun on the floor hundred times a day on purpose and not trying to catch it [smile]

I carry cocked and locked, no problems. Is that condition 1?

That said, I am considering switching to a PM9 to reduce the need for .380 and add some defense power.

I occasionally pocket carry, G42, G43, Seecamp .32, Sig 238, S&W 337 (revolver) and even a NAA Mini .22.

Back pocket (for the smaller autos, Seecamp and P238) and front right pocket. Not the best idea, but also not the worst. I use good pocket holsters Desantis Nemesis. Except for a cheap floppy nylon one for my S&W.

i pocket carry a g43. its always in condition 0. nothing else goes in that pocket, not even my hand. i don't even notice it anymore and i do manual labor for work. i usually use either a leather holster or a desantis nemesis holster. i switch based on my pants that day and the printing that will occur.

S&W two inch 38 or 9mm snubbie in a jacket pocket. You can have your hand on the gun in a potentially dangerous situation and no one will be the wiser. Also, my favorite definition of a "pocket gun" is one that can be fired from inside your pocket more than once.

You can have your hand on the gun in a potentially dangerous situation and no one will be the wiser.

That is one of the advantages of pocket carry. While a draw from hands relaxed at sides is slower than from a belt holster, if you see trouble coming you can have your hand in your pocket on the gun, significantly speeding up the draw while not escalating the situation.

When pocket carrying, if I get a hinky feeling in a parking garage, I'll put my hand on the gun in my pocket. I haven't had to use it, but it is a reassuring feeling.

That is one of the advantages of pocket carry. While a draw from hands relaxed at sides is slower than from a belt holster, if you see trouble coming you can have your hand in your pocket on the gun, significantly speeding up the draw while not escalating the situation.

When pocket carrying, if I get a hinky feeling in a parking garage, I'll put my hand on the gun in my pocket. I haven't had to use it, but it is a reassuring feeling.

Why draw? you can always have the holes patched.

Back
Top Bottom