Pocket carry and spare ammo

So, I've recently started carrying a pocket pistol. It works well for my lifestyle and I'm quite happy with it. I'm curious. as how those of you who carry in this manner carry your spare ammunition, particularly spare magazines.
Thanks,
Doug

I don't always carry spare ammunition... when I do I drop (2) speedloaders into a carrier and keep them on my belt or spare pocket.
Its best when I have something like carpenter or cargo pants to have extra pockets.

I carry what’s in the gun without any extra ammo, if I go into a bad area I may opt for a high capacity gun.

Man put o his gun, his wife asked “expecting trouble”, he responds “no, if i was expecting trouble I’d take my rifle”.

When carrying a semiautomatic, I always carry a spare magazine in the opposite pocket. Magazines fail more than anything else in a semi-auto, and carrying even a full-size 8-round 1911 magazine is no trouble at all.

From the pocket, my reloads reach into the 4 second range, but that's more than acceptable for most days.

You don't want to have to switch hands to reload your weapon, so the gun stays on the dominant side, the spare is stored on the opposite side. You're going to use that hand to reload, you want to train yourself always to reload with your non dominant hand. Generally its easier with a semi auto than a revolver.

You don't want to have to switch hands to reload your weapon,

Unless you're using a revolver, in which case maybe you do, maybe you don't.

In any case, carry a spare magazine or carry a spare speedloader/speedstrip. It's so easy to carry compared to the gun that it's a non-issue.

Desantis makes nice pocket mag holsters. It keeps the mag angled in the pocket and it stays put. When I just throw the mag in my pocket without it, it settles to the bottom and prints.

i do the pocket deal with my spare mag for my PPS. hell, they are so small and cuddly, i don't notice it vs. say my Glock 23.....

it's great [cheers]

If I'm carrying a pocket gun it's to supplement the main carry gun. I generally do not carry any reloads for pocket guns. If I am carrying one it goes either in a coat pocket or ankle holster. I never liked putting a gun in any pants pocket. I figure if I have to use said pocket gun, it'll be because I've expended at least 2 mags from the main carry gun, and if I run the pocket gun dry then I'm basically screwed to begin with because I should have been carrying the AR. [wink]

I got a nice leather speed strip wallet that you can pocket or wear on your belt, strong side if a reload is carried.

24xdgfn.jpg

Instead of spare ammo, I carry a second revolver. The definition of an optimist is someone with a revolver and a speed strip. Pocket lint can really screw up a magazine. Its best to keep it covered.

A Leatherman pouch makes a great mag holder... and the name on the flap makes people think it's a Leatherman and not spare ammunition.
I'd forgotten all about that. I did that years ago with the mag for my Kahr (I wish I still had that gun). I need to find a leatherman pouch the right size.
Thanks.
Doug

These days you can wear just about anything on your belt, including ammo. If it's enclosed in any kind of case you won't get a second look.

for the most part I just carry with whats in the gun, but every once in a while i have a mag holster that clips to my belt that holds to spare mags.Ii use it more for the range for quick reload practice and not so much for carrying.

Back
Top Bottom