• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

PMB and Firearm Purchase Background Check?

TZCHRIS

NES Member
**updated in post #21 - got answers from FFL - I'm in a unique situation but this may be helpful to others like myself

So in 2 weeks I will be "moving" from Las Vegas to South Dakota and will have a PMB (Private Mail Box) for a residency. The PMB will be listed on my license with address.

I just called a gun store in SD and they are not sure if the federal gvt has an issue with the "PMB" when running a background check.

So here is the question:

Has anyone ever had to have a background check run with a PMB address and if so was there any issues?

I am asking now because if I feel there will be any issues I have 2 weeks to grab some "good stuff" here in Vegas. The guy at the store in SD is looking into it as well, just wondering if anyone has had this issue?

Last edited:
Not sure about the PMB and gun purchases.

I know that you have to stay in SD for thirty days to qualify for a resident CCW vs the 1 night to qualify for a PMB.

For voter registration in SD I'm pretty sure the physical address you stay at for the one night is what is used for voting.

You may want to call the PMB company you're going to use and ask if they have any experience with it.

So in 2 weeks I will be "moving" from Las Vegas to South Dakota and will have a PMB (Private Mail Box) for a residency. The PMB will be listed on my license with address.

I just called a gun store in SD and they are not sure if the federal gvt has an issue with the "PMB" when running a background check.

So here is the question:

Has anyone ever had to have a background check run with a PMB address and if so was there any issues?

I am asking now because if I feel there will be any issues I have 2 weeks to grab some "good stuff" here in Vegas. The guy at the store in SD is looking into it as well, just wondering if anyone has had this issue?

Lol why would they have an issue with that? NICS doesn't "validate" anything, it only checks against a database of known bad guys.

The biggest real issue is getting local ID etc that satisfies the FFL, once you have that, everything else becomes irrelevant.

-Mike

4473 specifies that you must put down your residential address. Unless you live at the PMB, it is not valid for transfers.

4473 specifies that you must put down your residential address. Unless you live at the PMB, it is not valid for transfers.

Good point, the OP might be putting himself up shit creek with no paddle on this one. This is the core of the issue in Dearth v Holder - basically Stephen Dearth is a US citizen who lives abroad but because he has no "on record" state of residence the feds essentially have f***ed him out of the right to purchase a firearm while he is on US soil.

OP: to be legal it looks like you're at least going to have a lets pretend flophouse/apartment listed on the 4473 and any docs the dealer is going to want to support that assertion of
residency.

-Mike

Good point, the OP might be putting himself up shit creek with no paddle on this one. This is the core of the issue in Dearth v Holder - basically Stephen Dearth is a US citizen who lives abroad but because he has no "on record" state of residence the feds essentially have f***ed him out of the right to purchase a firearm while he is on US soil.

OP: to be legal it looks like you're at least going to have a lets pretend flophouse/apartment listed on the 4473 and any docs the dealer is going to want to support that assertion of
residency.

-Mike
From all the info I can find online is just that. It looks like, depending on where you go, if the FFL includes the letters "PMB" on the background check it gets flagged, maybe some FFL do not include the "PMB" ?

Could be a good excuse to go shopping now!

I don't know anything about PMBs, but I have a PO Box in NH that I now use for everything. If you use a different mailing address than your physical address in NH, they put both on the DL . . . mailing address is put on the front and physical on the back. I've not seen or heard of any problems with this setup when folks buy guns from dealers in NH. Check what SD puts on DLs to see if this might or might not have the potential for being an issue.

If your salesman doesn't recognize the PMB host's street address, and you use that on your form, you may get away with it. Personally, I think a 4473 is a bad place for little white lies.

From all the info I can find online is just that. It looks like, depending on where you go, if the FFL includes the letters "PMB" on the background check it gets flagged, maybe some FFL do not include the "PMB" ?

Could be a good excuse to go shopping now!
We don't enter addresses as part of the background check. The only location information is state of residence and birth state/country.

The 4473 is clear that the address is your residence. You could live in Florida and have a PMB in SD and therefore not be a resident of SD so not allowed to purchase, etc. Residence only. You will also need some documentation that "proves" that the address you put down is your residence. Clearly a state issued picture ID works, but if your picture ID has something else, then mortgage, lease, electric bill, something.

Is there some problem you are trying to work around?

You can buy a gun with any combination of government picture ID and *government* paperwork that proves who you are, birthdate, and your current address of residence.

A PO box or remote mail box of some sort is not where you live and is NFG for this. Might sneak by, might not. Is illegal really.

A passport and vehicle registration ok. A driver's license ok (because it shows address). A driver's license and use of a PO box not ok...

Some FFLs may go the extra mile and balk at a government ID with no address, discounting a registration, tax or *government* utility bill as proof.. others may let you submit with a PO box. Neither are actually understanding the requirement in doing so.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about PMBs, but I have a PO Box in NH that I now use for everything. If you use a different mailing address than your physical address in NH, they put both on the DL . . . mailing address is put on the front and physical on the back. I've not seen or heard of any problems with this setup when folks buy guns from dealers in NH. Check what SD puts on DLs to see if this might or might not have the potential for being an issue.

my NH drivers license only has my P.O. Box. My local gun dealer makes me show him another document that has my residence address. He wouldn’t accept my boating safety card because it does not have a expiration date but he’s fine with my car registration because that shows my P.O. Box and my residence and is issued by the .gov And has an expiry date. YMMV

my NH drivers license only has my P.O. Box. My local gun dealer makes me show him another document that has my residence address. He wouldn’t accept my boating safety card because it does not have a expiration date but he’s fine with my car registration because that shows my P.O. Box and my residence and is issued by the .gov And has an expiry date. YMMV

Government issued picture ID, DOB, and government document with address. Requirements met.

I have a dealer/shop that will sell anything to me knowing I have a legal Maine address but live in MA.
They require an actual state or local government document clearly showing my Full name and physical location, NOT my mailing address. It also had to be in the current calendar year. Example: Tax bills are out in Sept. so they would not accept me using that today as the bill is dated 2019.
Honor their rules and they will sell me anything in the store.
I’m good with that.
Lastly I’ve seen many times that you can’t use a PO Box as a physical location.

Government issued picture ID, DOB, and government document with address. Requirements met.
Drivers License (my Gvt issued ID) says:

Joe Smoe
401 E 8th St, STE 214
PMB #xxxxx
Sioux Falls, SD

I believe the fact that it has the letters "PMB" on it disqualifies it for use in a background check. Thats what I'm trying to find out

We don't enter addresses as part of the background check. The only location information is state of residence and birth state/country.

The 4473 is clear that the address is your residence. You could live in Florida and have a PMB in SD and therefore not be a resident of SD so not allowed to purchase, etc. Residence only. You will also need some documentation that "proves" that the address you put down is your residence. Clearly a state issued picture ID works, but if your picture ID has something else, then mortgage, lease, electric bill, something.

Is there some problem you are trying to work around?
Yes, not being able to purchase when I "move" to SD.

When I called the FFL in SD today he said he had "heard some rumblings about the PMB not working on background check"

The "PMB" is actually listed as that on license.

Maybe I failed to mention this is my actual residence....
20190621_125933.jpg

Joe Smoe
401 E 8th St, STE 214
PMB #xxxxx
Sioux Falls, SD

I believe the fact that it has the letters "PMB" on it disqualifies it for use in a background check. Thats what I'm trying to find out

No it does not allow you to buy a gun. But you just need a government document, ie registration, utility bill (if town utilities) to prove your address, because (I assume) that PMB is not your residence.

Joe Smoe
401 E 8th St, STE 214
PMB #xxxxx
Sioux Falls, SD

It doesn't.

As Crackpot already responded, there is no place to enter your address on the online form that the dealer sends to NICS (a.k.a. your background check).

They don't care where you live and it doesn't matter what letters are in your address - your address doesn't go to NICS.

How many different ways do you need to read this information?

It doesn't.

As Crackpot already responded, there is no place to enter your address on the online form that the dealer sends to NICS (a.k.a. your background check).

They don't care where you live and it doesn't matter what letters are in your address - your address doesn't go to NICS.

I guess I only need to read it once, sorry if my question upset you. I asked because of what I was told to when I called the FFL in SD this morning, I will be sure to call him first thing in the morning and let him know he is full of SH#T.

Thanks for the help.

It doesn't.

Utility bills were a no go in my case. They fully understood the issue but they had rules to follow.
I was able to comply so NBD.

your residence is were you have it parked. if you have a monthly written rental a agreement with a campground maybe all you need.
look at the drivers license proof of residence portion requirements for that state for real id drivers license

Got the answer that makes the most sense for my situation. Having the PMB on my drivers license does in fact disqualify me during a background check unless I have paperwork proving a physical address, which I do not. A PMB is not a physical address. The FFL I just spoke to did say yes he does not put an address on a background check but it is in fact his responsibility to prove residency and just a license with the PMB on it does not prove residency. He did agree that some FFL will "overlook" this fact but because he has to keep records for 20 if they do ever get audited he risks loosing his license.
That all just means I have to go get my Sig MCX pistol today!:)

Back
Top Bottom