Plymouth Teacher Placed on Leave For Gun Comment

I'm actually going to take a contrary view here...

I have a problem with the teacher's statement, not necessarily because he said 'GUN!', but because his response was probably intended to be a threat. The chosen weapon in that statement is immaterial, and the teacher is either a real jackass or mentally incompetent. I'm going with jackass. Why would he say next to my gun? What if he had said, "It's at home next to my barbwire covered baseball bat named 'Lucille'. Context people, context...

Why does it have to be about a weapon and not the chosen location? As in, NOT here. If was talking about my safe it could have been next to my camera lenses.

This was high school. Lots of well-liked high school teachers joke with students all the time. They routinely get away with comments that, if they were reported in print, would look outrageous. But in context, they’re just jokes.

This struck me as one of those kind of comments.

I tell my students frequently, when they ask about sea-level rise, Yellowstone, North Korea, or a bunch of other off-topic bullshit, “that’s why I’m hoarding canned goods and ammo.” I say it all the time. It always gets a laugh and communicates to them that I don’t feel like addressing their question right now, but that I’ve thought about it.

It’s also the truth.

But if it was taken out of context? “According to former students, Mr Picton has a long history of referring to stockpiles of ammunition. Authorities are investigating. This is Dan Hausle, reporting live!”
“In his car in the parking lot.”

Nope. He refers to this incident. Now were we not just talking about bad and misinterpreted news? lol

Where? And if so, why wasn’t it part of the news coverage?

I’m not saying Pofs’ guy didn’t hear this. I’m saying he could have heard it last week, last month, last year, whenever.

Regardless, until he returns and tells us, we don’t know.

Lol! Why all the spin? You read the same crap I did yet your take is he was referring to another time yet the post clearly said...

The teacher told the students he had a gun in his car.

Not sure how you came to your alternate conclusion...

Lol! Why all the spin? You read the same crap I did yet your take is he was referring to another time yet the post clearly said...

Not sure how you came to your alternate conclusion...

I’m with you Nick, he said it pretty loud and clear. Thanks!

I had a science teacher in grammar school that taught us a whole class on different gun powders and how a cartrage actually works. I can remember him actually breaking down a live 30-06 round with separator mallet and passing it around and burning off black and smokeless powders in class. Come to think about it I believe he went into describing different bullets and what they can penetrate depending how and what they’re made of. He was a fantastic teacher. Can you imagine that today?

I feel bad for today’s youth
I had a science teacher teach how to make hydrogen, also when I was in school they taught us about the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. They don't want your kids to know their rights. My kid recently graduated, he wore nothing but gun shirts everyday. Never had a problem and occasionally shoots with a former teacher.

The schools teach this common core crap and not the Constitution ! WTF ! If you love your kids home school them or at least spend a few hours everyday teaching them what they won't get in school.

Plymouth has changed alot in the last 20 years. Great hunting areas are now full of city people in their townhouse communities.

Don’t believe everything a teacher tells you, 85% chance their liberal.
Who , as a intelligent gun owner, would say I’ve got a gun in my car in a school parking lot ?[/QUOTE
Very true

But why lock the school down for a teacher with a gun in his safe?

Face it people it was a stupid comment. Why did the teacher feel the need to say that? It had nothing to do with the conversation . But I full heartedly disagree with the response as well.

Face it people it was a stupid comment.
Ill advised comment for sure, given today's climate. The comment the whole event makes on modern society, and where it's headed is discouraging.

Why did the teacher feel the need to say that?
I'm guessing if indeed the school was locked down, do to a "medical" emergency, the guy was wishing the Modern Sporting Carbine that is (was?) in his gun safe was instead in front of him on his desk, and the gun and safe being forefront of his mind at that moment whole Freudian slip or whatever thing came into play.

I had a history teacher in 7th grade (1970) who was a marine in Vietnam. Quite a character. I remember one day he brought in his scrapbook for a show and tell.... To this day I can still remember him tell us " If you wanted to get Charlie's attention all you had to say was napalm!" I run into him on occasion and still a great guy.

OPSEC fail....

there's no benefit to revealing you have a gun at home to 30 kids who just got done eating Tide pods for lunch.

It is, but frankly a teacher shouldnt be suspended for talking about owning a gun, for chrissakes.

And maybe most of his class isnt tide pod eaters, but it only takes one or two to ruin it for everyone else.

Eventually maybe MA will end up like the way they hire prosecutors in some counties in NY.... they literally have a rule in place says that they cannot own
firearms or have a handgun permit, etc, otherwise they won't get hired- because they don't want them empathizing with gun owners. The whole thing is
puke worthy...

-Mike

I had a history teacher in 7th grade (1970) who was a marine in Vietnam. Quite a character. I remember one day he brought in his scrapbook for a show and tell.... To this day I can still remember him tell us " If you wanted to get Charlie's attention all you had to say was napalm!" I run into him on occasion and still a great guy.

Is this him?

Are private schools this nutty or is this just a public school thing?

I don't know about private, but I can tell you that public schools are off the rails hysterical about virtually everything, especially those evil guns! The whining and hand wringing among many of my whacky colleagues is [puke]producing. Luckily I have some good colleagues who I've taken shooting, and some nice kids!

I don't know about private, but I can tell you that public schools are off the rails hysterical about virtually everything, especially those evil guns! The whining and hand wringing among many of my whacky colleagues is [puke]producing. Luckily I have some good colleagues who I've taken shooting, and some nice kids!

Have a friend who is a private school teacher in single-gender school in MA. Great majority of the teachers are very liberal, but for most part students (white, middle to upper class) are the opposite. In the recent past they [the students] have gotten a ton of leeway on amount of sh*t they can get away with saying/doing before there are any disciplinary measures, if any at all. Next time I see him I'll ask what the students' opinions on those "evil guns."

It is, but frankly a teacher shouldnt be suspended for talking about owning a gun, for chrissakes.

And maybe most of his class isnt tide pod eaters, but it only takes one or two to ruin it for everyone else.

Eventually maybe MA will end up like the way they hire prosecutors in some counties in NY.... they literally have a rule in place says that they cannot own
firearms or have a handgun permit, etc, otherwise they won't get hired- because they don't want them empathizing with gun owners. The whole thing is
puke worthy...

-Mike

Interesting. [devil]

Having lunch at the bar the other day, the news was mentioning large capacity magazines. A fellow a few seats away from me looked over and said, "There is no reason anyone should have any more than 6 round magazines."

I did not respond.

He said, "Well, do you agree or not?"

I said, "I don't talk to idiots."

I would have said I'm holding 19 in mine
Do you think I agree? But I live in freedom
Guys who’ve paid to move to NH need to think that the move made sense. So they tend to get militant.

I’m not blaming them, even if they get annoying.

Temporary stop gap man. I'm trying to get way away just need to do two or three more years up in communist east

Wow. This guy would have been better off if he made a comment about his junk instead of his (I assume) legally-owned gun.

Talk about indoctrinating and programming our youth to fear gunz

Back
Top Bottom