Plymouth Police K-9 shot by handler

He was not in control of dog and should never have a dog again. WTF Plymouth

I'm with you. A similar incident happened in the past with the handler and dog. Dogs tend to follow their master and not attack them unless something is seriously wrong. Not that I had a dog trained to go after people but in the 10 years I had my dog he went after me 0 times even when it was for something he really wanted.

Years ago I had a Gordon Setter, we got as a pup. Never had a problem, then something happen and he started attacking family members including me. There was no bringing him around, we had to have him put down.

I'm with you. A similar incident happened in the past with the handler and dog. Dogs tend to follow their master and not attack them unless something is seriously wrong. Not that I had a dog trained to go after people but in the 10 years I had my dog he went after me 0 times even when it was for something he really wanted.
I have had plenty of dogs in my life, mostly Rotties and Huskies both very head strong and all but one were rescue dogs. They knew the master and respected him, that cop should never have a dog again.

I have an acquaintance, former MSP K-9, who trains dogs.

She got a Malanois (sp) last spring and was trying to retrain it after a previous owner had issues with it.

This is a woman who has trained hundreds of dogs for private parties and Departments, she is very good at what she does.

The dog turned on her and did a lot of damage, she was lucky enough to have had a frying pan or something close by that she used to stop the attack, but she ended up in the hospital with a lot of stiches, and she is a beautiful young lady too... some new ink covered the scars on her arms and legs. She was lucky she was not killed.

LEO dogs are not to be taken for granted, after the first time there was an issue with that animal it should have been sent packing.

Malinois? They are bat-shit crazy. Chewie and I run into a lot of them at training. They have their place I guess, but not for everyone. I wouldn't own one. My GSD (soon to be two) are enough. At least they're sane.

There's not a lot of real information here and I don't expect we'll learn much more. I know there are 'bad dogs', but I still lean towards blaming handlers over dogs.

This is what she put on her FB page :

I do not personally know the K9 officer. I do not know the dog.
I do know that I’ve witnessed K9 officers extremely heavy handed with their dogs, to the point where the dog does, what we call, “go up the leash” and attack the handler.
I do know that genetics can play a MAJOR part in a dogs reactivity to aggression issues, as well as traumatic experiences in a dogs life that will play a vital role in the dogs behavioral issues.
Not knowing this handlers training methods, the dogs background or being able to witness these aggression incidents personally, I simply cannot comment on my thoughts on it. I can personally vouch for being almost mauled by a working breed before, and during the attack, ir I had a pistol at my side during the attack, I would have used it while trying to save my own life.
In any event, please be respectful to those who are involved and remember that the good OR the bad aren’t always stated in detail of events occurred, therefore we cannot judge.
No one should have to make the decision of shooting their dog during this type of situation. I feel awful for everyone involved, including the K9.

In the same post, s0meone who works with the officer said this:
I’ll chime in since this is my coworker. Keith is a great guy. This isn’t the first time he’s been attacked by Nico.
Obviously this was a bad enough situation that he felt this was his only option.
He is NOT a bad K9 handler

Last edited:
Malinois? They are bat-shit crazy.
Yep. GSDs are mostly controllable. They'll bite whoever the handler wants bitten, but they don't generally go off on their own.

Malinois are hyper, and even more athletic, and DNGAS. They don't care who gets bitten, they're too busy having fun chomping everyone in sight.

Yep. GSDs are mostly controllable. They'll bite whoever the handler wants bitten, but they don't generally go off on their own.

Malinois are hyper, and even more athletic, and DNGAS. They don't care who gets bitten, they're too busy having fun chomping everyone in sight.
I really, REALLY want a purebred Malinois rescue - beautiful, intelligent dogs, and a super impressive breed. But I won’t (at least anytime soon) because they are just TOO much dog for a companion animal for my level of ability training a dog. I’m well beyond the “had a golden retriever as a kid” kind of dog owner, but not at the level of dog trainer a breed like that needs by any means. I have a Catahoula that can outsmart me, can easily clear a 6’ fence, and is extremely loyal and protective of us (especially my daughter). She’s perfectly obedient, but add in the power and natural love of chewing on things and independence of a Maligator and I’d almost definitely be in over my head.

ETA: I’m not 100% sure she’s Catahoula - shelter we rescued her from as a pup said pit and Maligator, but I’m not convinced. Current vet thinks she’s mostly Catahoula with maybe some pit. Vet is probably more qualified than shelter volunteers for an opinion on breed.

I really, REALLY want a purebred Malinois rescue - beautiful, intelligent dogs, and a super impressive breed. But I won’t (at least anytime soon) because they are just TOO much dog for a companion animal for my level of ability training a dog. I’m well beyond the “had a golden retriever as a kid” kind of dog owner, but not at the level of dog trainer a breed like that needs by any means. I have a Catahoula that can outsmart me, can easily clear a 6’ fence, and is extremely loyal and protective of us (especially my daughter). She’s perfectly obedient, but add in the power and natural love of chewing on things and independence of a Maligator and I’d almost definitely be in over my head.

ETA: I’m not 100% sure she’s Catahoula - shelter we rescued her from as a pup said pit and Maligator, but I’m not convinced. Current vet thinks she’s mostly Catahoula with maybe some pit. Vet is probably more qualified than shelter volunteers for an opinion on breed.
The only way to really know is to do a DNA test and sometimes with mixed breeds it's not as accurate as you think. The people at the shelters have no idea what the dogs are, especially the puppies. They just put out cards that say things like lab mix, terrier mix etc. Last year I rescued a little black and tan puppy from my local shelter and thought for sure it would be some type of rottie or Doberman mix, I did a DNA test and it turns out she's bloodhound, lab, Staffordshire, American bulldog mix

I’ll chime in since this is my coworker. Keith is a great guy. This isn’t the first time he’s been attacked by Nico.
Obviously this was a bad enough situation that he felt this was his only option.
what a load of crap. great guy my @ss.
they just showed it on tv also. sad. in every situation like that i take dog`s side. as it always, 99.9% always a human`s fault when a trained dog starts counterattacking.

And that girl from Georgia that shot the dog in Springfield this past summer is in jail for doing the same thing..[angry2]

Oh, I forgot she wasn't professional enough or special..

Last edited:
That’s complete bullshit. I mean I guess you need to “correct the dogs behavior” once every five years?

But you don’t laugh about it.

They act like it’s a simple disagreement between handler and animal over the last mozzarella stick and dipping sauce. My dog don’t even need no tags,collar or choke chain. She only needs vocal commands and hand signals...

I can’t imagine what she would do if I just said “go get them!”These dogs are just a terror tactic anyway.

Back
Top Bottom