• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Plymouth Gun show ?

Zappa unfortunately folks were buying them...they cant find them so I guess they just felt they better buy what ever they can for no matter what the cost.

P.T Barnum was right:

p-t-barnums-law-there-s-a-sucker-born-every-minute-political-poster-1282860468.jpg

I was there Saturday for a few hours. Fred I'm surprised I didn't see you!

I spent a fair amount of time helping a friend that I met there pick out his first semi-auto pistol. (he's a wheelgun guy). He settled on a Beretta 84. At first he was drooling over a Star .40 compact pistol, but I steered him away from that. Probably not the best choice for a first timer.

I picked up some 9x18, 7.62tok, and old surplus FN .45acp rounds all at pre-madness prices so I was happy about that. The FN stuff was 1955 manufacture, in original boxes, all still looking like new, 140 rounds for $50. Not bad.

In general, lots of stuff was overpriced. No surprise of course, and I wasn't going in expecting any deals on guns or ammo.

I enjoyed this show. I knew going in that ammo and AR/AK's were going to be retarded, and I expected mags to be expensive as well. I stopped and chatted with Fred for a little bit, and picked up a Hungarian 20 round AK mag from his table. Kaisha re-upped with GOAL and we bought a few of their raffle tickets, and then we found a cheap Winchester single shot 22 as a project to refinish for my niece.

All in all, I like Plymouth, never mind that is close to home and Main St [smile]. Easy on the feet, and quite because of the turf. Also, it seemed a little better ventilated, the BO was not as bad as it usually is at the shows. [laugh]

I found an 1873 Trapdoor full length in absolutely beautiful shape tagged at $795. Got it for ~$730. A little more expensive than usual, but I haven't seen any in that condition around for a while.

It followed me home. As did 40 rounds of .45-70.

I was a bit miffed they wanted to run the 4473 on a pre-1899 gun, but I (I think unnecessarily) gave them my C&R and walked out with it.
I will be having my Boston Police display there again, this time I will put up a NES sign or something as many NES'ers come by and then say later "I wish I knew you were Ben..."

one thing to remember the parking is horrible there! Get there early, except on Sunday as my wife is making me go to church before heading to the show and I won't get there until about 9 am and want a spot, so go late on Sunday [rofl]

I wish I knew you were Ben. That was a nice display.

A gun made in 1873 doesn't even qualify as a C&R does it? That's actually a question I had years ago that I never got a real answer on. You'd think the general phrase "50 years and older" would make it so, but since there's no fed or even state paperwork required on an antique rifle, does it even go into your bound book? I don't collect any antique stuff so I was never too concerned about it.

So is it all right to negotiate the price in the gun show? On Sat I went there, saw a used Beretta 92FS for about $550. A little over the cash amount I had with me. And I suppose there would be tax adding to it, so I didn't negotiate the price with the gentleman who was selling it.

BTW, will it be inappropriate to negotiate price in a gun store?

I found an 1873 Trapdoor full length in absolutely beautiful shape tagged at $795. Got it for ~$730. A little more expensive than usual, but I haven't seen any in that condition around for a while.

It's never inappropriate to haggle. If you don't try, you'd never know if the dealer/ shop would accept a lower offer. Don't be bashful, just ask. Worst they can say is no, which I've heard a million times and it doesn't hurt my feelings. [laugh]

My father is the master of haggling and I certainly did not inherit that skill unfortunately.

So is it all right to negotiate the price in the gun show? On Sat I went there, saw a used Beretta 92FS for about $550. A little over the cash amount I had with me. And I suppose there would be tax adding to it, so I didn't negotiate the price with the gentleman who was selling it.

BTW, will it be inappropriate to negotiate price in a gun store?

Gun show, yes. Gun store, generally no.

I also enjoyed this show and thought it was much better than the last one. I got Lg rifle primers for $35 a brick and made a sweet deal on a SAtar Modelo Super in in 9mm Largo from Petes on my C&R so no waiting in line for the transfer. I was a little appalled to still see AR Lowers for $350 though and I guess $1 a round for ammo is the new normal. $12.99 for a box of steel cased golden bear 7.62x39 Really!!

Gun show, yes. Gun store, generally no.

I don't know, it depends on where you go, and if you're a regular customer. I've talked shops down many times on marked prices. But I'd say you're right; haggling at gun shows is usually more productive than at shops. Usually the reason being the dealer wants to unload as much as he can so he doesn't have to pack as much stuff back into his truck/ trailer etc...

I don't know, it depends on where you go, and if you're a regular customer. I've talked shops down many times on marked prices. But I'd say you're right; haggling at gun shows is usually more productive than at shops. Usually the reason being the dealer wants to unload as much as he can so he doesn't have to pack as much stuff back into his truck/ trailer etc...

Suppose you are right, some shops have a no haggle policy, so I tend to not bother.

A gun made in 1873 doesn't even qualify as a C&R does it? That's actually a question I had years ago that I never got a real answer on. You'd think the general phrase "50 years and older" would make it so, but since there's no fed or even state paperwork required on an antique rifle, does it even go into your bound book? I don't collect any antique stuff so I was never too concerned about it.

That makes it an antique, no license required.

That makes it an antique, no license required.

That was my position, but I wasn't about to blow the deal over it.

on Saturday it was $198..guess he raised the price when he got lower in inventory.

I tacked the entry fee onto the total price as I had zero time to look around. I ran in at 230 pm grabbed a case and screwed. needed to be home by 245ish so wife could go to work.

I offer the price I want to pay? they can just say no, right.

This show had the fewest actual gun dealers than any recent show I have been to. Primers were available but 22lr was all gone by about 10am on Saturday. Good size aisles and nowhere near 500 tables.

FYI there was 7.62 ammo at about 7.50? A box that was there until late Sunday.

Just came back from show, 5.56 840 rounds $500. Huge line at reloading tables didn't bother to wait to see what they had. Was okay but I don't think I'd drive hours to go to it, seems like the same people with the same stuff and same prices.

got 920 round in stripper clips (5.56) for $275, that was Sat afternoon, the dealer had it behind his table. High but not that bad

got 920 round in stripper clips (5.56) for $275, that was Sat afternoon, the dealer had it behind his table. High but not that bad

920 rounds for $275? You stole that shit at less than $.30/round.

Even before the craziness, if you could get 5.56 for less than $.40/round you weren't doing too shabby.

I should probably keep it for myself! I don't like to have 5.56 in the house as while my Stag AR will handle 5.56 my Savage Model 10 bolt says .223 only.

I got it for a friend.

Back
Top Bottom