Plymouth capt. loses his duty gun

Nice. Just imagine the OT to the town by detectives going through that courthouse list and videos and knocking on all the doors to find the gun. And then just wait and see what they do to the guy who took it. There will be a beat down.

It sounds like the Capt. used the public rest room out in the lobby which I would never use at that courthouse. It is right at the entrance/exit of the building so whoever took the firearm was out in seconds. LE's that I know always used the court personel bathrooms... if he used those even if he left the firearm behind, at least a court employee would find it. As far as video, I don't remember any at Wareham District except for the lockups.

Well in fact I do know Cpt. Rodgers I have to say I am shocked by this. I do know in fact they he carry's a revolver when he is in business dress. The funny thing is a MPTC firearms instructor. I know everyone makes mistakes however I can not understand this for the life of me keep in in the holster.

It's hard to understand, but having had a ret. MSP Lt (who was also a MSP Academy Firearms Instructor) carelessly point his service gun at me (putting it down on his desk but pointed in my direction) twice as I was talking with him (he was a FT Lt at a major college PD) while we were both on duty didn't make sense either. Nor did my reading the Boston Globe one day and reading the story of his demise . . . after pointing a authentic-looking airgun at his dispatcher and another officer (who sued the college, thus the story in the paper) as a "joke" a few years later!

The Captain made a mistake.

Mistakes happen.

But, the consequences should be as severe as , if not more so than, a "regular" guy would suffer in the same situation.

We empower LEOs with special priviledges - carry in schools, courthouses, etc., and they need to be held to at least the same standard as Joe Blow.

I know that when it comes to traffic stops, this is a pipe-dream, but in a case of eggregious carelessness such as this, it should be f'in horrible. I'm guessing that the piece was not picked up by a well-meaning janitor.

Police officers are only allowed to carry in court so long as the First Justice of that particular court does not have a problem with it. Otherwise they must check in their firearm with the court officer who will lock it up and return it to them when they leave.

The Captain made a mistake.

Mistakes happen.

But, the consequences should be as severe as , if not more so than, a "regular" guy would suffer in the same situation.

We empower LEOs with special priviledges - carry in schools, courthouses, etc., and they need to be held to at least the same standard as Joe Blow.

I know that when it comes to traffic stops, this is a pipe-dream, but in a case of eggregious carelessness such as this, it should be f'in horrible. I'm guessing that the piece was not picked up by a well-meaning janitor.

I couldn't agree with you more!

Police officers are only allowed to carry in court so long as the First Justice of that particular court does not have a problem with it. Otherwise they must check in their firearm with the court officer who will lock it up and return it to them when they leave.

Yes and therefore every courthouse has different rules! When I entered one courthouse, security had me lock the gun up which I expected and had no problem with but he had us wait until some perps cleared out of the visual area. What's most disturbing to me is that security isn't within view of where the guns are stored most of the time in many courthouses (e.g. not much to stop a knowledgeable wiseguy from getting to them).

Lens someone gets killed with this Firearm is the Capt at fault? I know the answer just checking though.

Capt. John W. Rogers Jr. reportedly put down his handgun in the bathroom around 3 p.m., and when he went to retrieve it, the gun was gone.

How long was he there for?

Also, lucky someone in court that day didn't have a death wish and want to take out a judge or someone they were in court against.

Lens someone gets killed with this Firearm is the Capt at fault? I know the answer just checking though.

Legally it shouldn't be, but we both know that some DAs would prosecute the person if they were an ordinary citizen . . . but most would merely prosecute for improper storage (initial problem) and not for the murder of an innocent with the stolen gun.

Legally it shouldn't be, but we both know that some DAs would prosecute the person if they were an ordinary citizen . . . but most would merely prosecute for improper storage (initial problem) and not for the murder of an innocent with the stolen gun.

Thank you Lens

He should check behind the tank.

tgf-223_528_poster.jpg

"he he hmm heh heh hmm.... duty gun"

Beavis_uh-huh.jpg

I'm sure the guy feels like an a**h*** and on a human level I feel for him, but he should be fired for this, his LTC revoked, weapons confiscated and face charges. This is what would happen to you or I.

Who wants to bet its swept under the rug? I'm almost surprised it made the press although they probably had no choice having made everyone in the courthouse pass through a metal detector and having conducted a search in public.

Doesn't the military use those kensington lock type things on a spiral bungie, or is that just for training? Maybe they should start giving them those janitor keys to keep their guns on. [rolleyes]

If any of us were as stupid as this jerk-off we'd be charged with whatever the PD could dream up. We would then be prosecuted or given some bogus plea deal (disorderly conduct or something like that). Shortly thereafter we would be kissing our LTC good-bye, along with any other firearms we owned. If we were lucky enough to be independently wealthy and could find a good attorney that has experience defending firearms cases, then MAYBE we would beat the charge(s).

Here's my cynical prediction for this dumbass cop: Plymouth CLO will at some point issue a strongly worded statement to the media promising a full investigation and accountability for any transgressions. The a sufficient amount of time goes by to let the dust settle, then the whole thing gets swept under the rug and the dufus cop in question faces ABSOLUTELY ZERO disciplinary action!

This crap makes me even angrier that I already was!!

Well what the hell? I wanna know where it was or who had it! Guh, the news never tells you anything you actually want to know about.

I suspect the Plymouth Police Chief is the one who doesn't want to reveal where the gun was or who had it. The news reporter probably didn't want to ruffle any feathers by pressing for an answer.
Best regards.

That is actually a pretty severe punishment for a cop to go through (not the 30 days, but the loss of his position in the department) sad to say. I am impressed. I would also normally say it's too much for a guy with no other blemishes on his record, save for what a prosecutor/PD would have done to one of us. That elevates in my mind what happens to him. Maybe that's unfair but 'eff it, if there is to be some penalty on us, then cops have to get one too.

It should be complete parity (ie; arrest/summons, court/judge, jury trial, etc) but given a first timer, no mitigating circumstances CWOF deal a sane prosecutor would have meted out on this one, that's about on par with the cop's actual punishment. Loss of money, prestige in the community and career advancement would all have fallen on the rest of us even if we got cwof'd.

Back
Top Bottom