• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Plymouth capt. loses his duty gun

Looks like Plymouth is challenging Quincy's old record in this arena.

Another police officer loses gun; Quincy policeman drives away with weapon on the roof of his car (Read past the first paragraph, there are TWO lost guns in there)

Lots of good cops, but some are shockingly cavalier about their guns.

"The deputy, Robert Greek, returned to the doughnut shop less than 45 minutes later, but the weapon was gone. When the gun was recovered, Scituate police revoked Greek’s license to carry a firearm, which prompted the sheriff’s department to fire him.

Not keeping a gun secure is a state crime and is grounds for local police to revoke a gun license."

Whys it always the bathroom?

Last edited:
I am the only one in this room professional enough to carry this Glock 40. Oldie but goodie I know, but goes to the attitude and truth of SOME LEOs

Last edited by a moderator:
I beleive it was a police officer down the cape...His child found his loaded hand gun in his night stand and pointed it at another child...Nothing...
Police officers are superhumans, but that one was a demigod, a Lt. in MSP. Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi.
Actually, that Trooper was indeed charged with a 131L violation.

When it went to court, prior to Runyan, the trial judge threw it out (rightly) based on the safe storage language of Heller.

Actually, that Trooper was indeed charged with a 131L violation.

When it went to court, prior to Runyan, the trial judge threw it out (rightly) based on the safe storage language of Heller.

True....But then in the Runyan case,It was remanded to distict court as Mass. still does not recognise that that the 14th amendment applies to the States..Please correct me if I am wrong...Thank you..

Yes, many/most cops (that aren't "gun people") treat their guns with about as much respect and security as a ball-point pen . . . it's just another piece of equipment to them!

With a proper holster (which all cops should ONLY be using) retention is built in and therefore no matter what you are doing in the bathroom, there is NO REASON to remove the gun from the holster . . . ever! I know that when I worked for the PD, I never did and I survived and was able to do my business successfully!

BTW: Even proper holsters made for civilian use should retain the gun properly when you drop trou . . . there is no excuse to remove the gun from the holster. Also realize that the more handling of the gun, the more opportunities for NDs to occur!!!

Yes, this Capt. should face disciplinary action for his stupidity! I'm sure that he won't however, as it just doesn't work that way.

Removing the gun from the holster isn't really about retention issues, at least not in my personal experience. My gunbelt weighs 12.2 pounds in it's current configuration. It's an incredible PITA to get my undershirt and uniform shirt tucked back in and looking neat with one hand while trying to hold up 12.2 pounds of gear just below my hips with the other hand, and I even wear shirt stays to assist the process. If I'm in a rush I'll pull my gun and radio off my belt to lighten the load somewhat. If I have more time, I'll pull off my keepers and remove the entire belt.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why everyone feels the need to play with their gun when they're in the head.

What is the problem with just leaving it in the damned holster?

Interesting... this is very likely how my AR will go missing.[devil]

Hmmm, good thinking. When/if they come to get my AR's I'll tell them I left them in a bathroom which doesn't seem to be a problem when any LEO do it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

So...
in light of the latest edict from the SJC regarding "proper and lawful storage".. What exactly is this guy being charged with?

What a dipshit.

He did nothing wrong though. If I did that, my LTC would be yanked, and guns would be in a bonded warehouse somewhere.

Removing the gun from the holster isn't really about retention issues, at least not in my personal experience. My gunbelt weighs 12.2 pounds in it's current configuration. It's an incredible PITA to get my undershirt and uniform shirt tucked back in and looking neat with one hand while trying to hold up 12.2 pounds of gear just below my hips with the other hand, and I even wear shirt stays to assist the process. If I'm in a rush I'll pull my gun and radio off my belt to lighten the load somewhat. If I have more time, I'll pull off my keepers and remove the entire belt.

I'll grant you that for the "boots on the ground". I've seen officers hang their Sam Browne belt up when using the head . . . less likely to forget the whole thing than just the gun (and I hate the idea of unnecessary gun handling for safety reasons). It's been a long time since I wore a uniform and we didn't carry around nearly as much gear back then, but I certainly remember the issue. On the other hand, a Capt. in a municipal PD doesn't usually wear a Sam Browne and carry all the same gear as the troups . . . and they certainly would be "traveling light" in a courtroom . . . gun, cell phone and maybe radio on the belt (few would even carry cuffs on the belt) is SOP. And if it was a revolver, it most certainly was an off-duty gun (PPD carries M&P 45s).

Yeah Len, I'll grant you that. A captain in a courthouse most definitely has no excuse. Actually, no one has any excuse for forgetting their firearm. But a ranking supervisor showing up for court won't be dealing with nearly the amount of weight, so no reason to handle the firearm at all in the first place.

Wearing a full belt, I could understand - that IS a pain in the ass. Best way I've found is to tuck the back in then lean back against the side of the stall to hold it in place while I tuck the rest in and buckle up. That, or velcro lined belts. SO much better than keepers, but can be a nuisance going back and forth between wearing a belt over a uniform to wearing it over a drysuit.

It is not a gun free zone for Leo. Remember, they are professionals.

I think it depends on what court and state. I was recently in a court in Prov. Ri dealing with a CC company. Every officer there, they were sheriffs, had empty holsters and empty mag pouches. They weren't even allowed to have their back up mags never mind their guns. It was the same for all the officers in the bld. not just the ones in the court rooms.

Yes, many/most cops (that aren't "gun people") treat their guns with about as much respect and security as a ball-point pen . . . it's just another piece of equipment to them!

With a proper holster (which all cops should ONLY be using) retention is built in and therefore no matter what you are doing in the bathroom, there is NO REASON to remove the gun from the holster . . . ever! I know that when I worked for the PD, I never did and I survived and was able to do my business successfully!

BTW: Even proper holsters made for civilian use should retain the gun properly when you drop trou . . . there is no excuse to remove the gun from the holster. Also realize that the more handling of the gun, the more opportunities for NDs to occur!!!

Yes, this Capt. should face disciplinary action for his stupidity! I'm sure that he won't however, as it just doesn't work that way.

While I agree with the principal behind what you are saying.. Retention aside, when I lower my pants my gun won't leave it's holster. But as soon as I let go of my waistband the 5lb gun will just pull the gun, holster and pants down on to the, most likely, piss soaked floor. I remove my gun and throw it in my boxers between my legs. No forgetting about it that was as you will slam yourself in the balls with it if you do.

Last edited:
The FOUR rules of firearm safety:

1. Always keep your gun pointed in a safe direction.
2. Always keep the gun unloaded until you are ready to shoot.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
4. After taking a crap, make sure you put your gun back in its holster.

#4 LOL LOL LOL

As I see it, It wasn't stolen,he gave it away because it wasn't under his direct supervision. He couldn't have been next to it within site.... He set it on the counter and left, out of site to the stall, and when he came out ,it was gone...he is not responsible enough to carry a gun. His LTC should be lifted.

Well in fact I do know Cpt. Rodgers I have to say I am shocked by this. I do know in fact they he carry's a revolver when he is in business dress. The funny thing is a MPTC firearms instructor. I know everyone makes mistakes however I can not understand this for the life of me keep in in the holster.

True....But then in the Runyan case,It was remanded to distict court as Mass. still does not recognise that that the 14th amendment applies to the States..Please correct me if I am wrong...Thank you..

Correct. The main difference is that the Troopers case wasn't appealed.

And Runyan was decided before McDonald, which is why another safe storage case is now again before the SJC. That said, the SJC hinted in Runyan the result would be the same.

I actually have a great deal of respect for the SJC and the vast majority of their decisions. But Runyan was some of the worst legal reasoning and analysis I have ever read.

Back
Top Bottom