• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Plymouth capt. loses his duty gun

Ive never understood this and it seems to happen a lot - sometimes to civilians, but a lot more often to cops, which makes me think its likely very under reported.

granted, I wear my weapon in an IWB most of the time and if the stall is low enough, I'll take the thing out if I happen to be seated, but then Im fully AWARE that its out and re-holster the second Im done doing my thing.

A firearm isn't a set of ****ing keys. I always know its on, I always know where i have it. to have "lost" it is ****ing unconscionable. And this guy determines suitability?????

oh boy haha..now i dont feel so bad when i misplace my sunglasses and find out they are on top of my head [laugh]

The FOUR rules of firearm safety:

1. Always keep your gun pointed in a safe direction.
2. Always keep the gun unloaded until you are ready to shoot.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
4. After taking a crap, make sure you put your gun back in its holster.

This is why, when on the pot, I toss it in my undies. You just can't forget it that way. "Where's my gun? OH, yeah, whacking me in the junk. Durrrrr."

"When he went back to retrieve it" - WTF? Is this supposed to portray him as "responsibly" trying to find the gun he responsibly lost?
Sorry, I know people make mistakes. BUT making mistakes like THAT, in a place where people are being held accountable for all nature of things, is flat out stupid.

I hope he gets boned, but I can guess the outcome.

He should get arrested, treated like a terrorist and thrown in jail.

Reading some additional posts, it got me thinking back a ways. When I was in the military, our firearms were more or less attached to us. They went with us everywhere from the second we signed them out at the beginning of shift until the second we turned them in to the armorer. Unless you were in the command post and had it racked, it went with you everywhere. On the very rare occasion when someone would make a mistake, they would get a subtle yet embarrassing reminder that this was a no-no. (Keep in mind, this was in a secure area, so it would be unlikely that your gear would walk away.)

What this tells me is that many officers have completely lost discipline, in that they are neither aware of, nor respectful of, the firearm that they carry as part of their job. It's just one more thing on the utility belt, and if it isn't there, meh.

My issue with this is the double standard applied..One for them...one for us...Richard Runyan did nothing...Guilty...I beleive it was a police officer down the cape...His child found his loaded hand gun in his night stand and pointed it at another child...Nothing...

This is why, when on the pot, I toss it in my undies. You just can't forget it that way. "Where's my gun? OH, yeah, whacking me in the junk. Durrrrr."

"When he went back to retrieve it" - WTF? Is this supposed to portray him as "responsibly" trying to find the gun he responsibly lost?
Sorry, I know people make mistakes. BUT making mistakes like THAT, in a place where people are being held accountable for all nature of things, is flat out stupid.

I hope he gets boned, but I can guess the outcome.

So. Note to self when asking questions on classified listings.

"Where did u put it when using bathroom?"

Yes, many/most cops (that aren't "gun people") treat their guns with about as much respect and security as a ball-point pen . . . it's just another piece of equipment to them!

With a proper holster (which all cops should ONLY be using) retention is built in and therefore no matter what you are doing in the bathroom, there is NO REASON to remove the gun from the holster . . . ever! I know that when I worked for the PD, I never did and I survived and was able to do my business successfully!

BTW: Even proper holsters made for civilian use should retain the gun properly when you drop trou . . . there is no excuse to remove the gun from the holster. Also realize that the more handling of the gun, the more opportunities for NDs to occur!!!

Yes, this Capt. should face disciplinary action for his stupidity! I'm sure that he won't however, as it just doesn't work that way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom