Plumbing help

Evadd

NES Member
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I'm renovating a 1/2 bath in our house. Pulled off the 25-year-old toilet to find the flange below. The metal part was very corroded and came off in pieces. I'm left with the plastic piece shown below. I've tried prying it off without success. I haven't applied a ton of pressure b/c I don't want to fracture it (which is what it feels like will happen if I pry any harder). I assume it's glued onto the PVC pipe below? Am I left with cutting it off in pieces as in this video? View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTRHby7ldpQ

I'd appreciate any advice as to how to move forward.

Attachments

Fixxah

NES Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
It will come off without too much effort if it rotted real bad. The pvc may be brittle so if it won't come off use a dremel ang go slow. Without knowing what is under the floor, never stick a sawzall blade through the floor to cut the flange. The stainless rings are not a perfect fit so make sure you secure it well. Double the wax if the top sits below the til flange is supposed to sit on the tile. When you verify no leaks, glue the toilet to the floor with Phenoseal around the edge of bowl and wipe with a damp cloth. Make sure it doesn't rock when you sit on it. If it does, use plastic wedge shims.

ETA: Check for rocking before Phenoseal and use a fine toothed saw on the brass bolts. No steel bolts or you will be replacing them in a couple of years.

Last edited:

Gator9329

That Guy
NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
That's a shitty situation... Had to

That wax sucks to work with. It gets everywhere and sticks to everything if you are not super careful.

Hope you got it fixed and can move on to easier stuff

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just dealt with the same issue. Cut the old metal flange away and replace it with this:

good idea. the pvc part looks sound.
but you need to attach the new metal flange to something. If you are incredibly lucky, the plywood underneath the tile will still be sound. If not, i would clean all that crud away from the wood, and then consolidate the rotted wood with something like Abatron liquidwood. the wood has to be BONE DRY to use it, so make sure it is not wet. Let it cure for a day, and then stick on the metal flange.

In addition to the seals, like 1 1/2 wax gaskets, they make a wax gaskets with a little PVC funnel attached, to help keep the water from leaking out onto the floor.

1580819955032.png

Top Bottom